Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2018, 04:29 PM

Default VFW rifle service....

I have been doing R&R on the ceremonial Garands used by the local VFW. They have been very lax on clean/lube over several years. The blanks corrode the front end of the op rods & there are two that dont pass the "tilt" test.

Can you (meaning CMP) straighten these..???

PJH

Last edited by heckinohio; 11-25-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:48 PM

This is just my view point on the matter ..... and I won't claim to have more M1 credentials than anybody else and my name is not CMP.. but , if the rifle works as intended but does not pass the "tilt test" , I feel certain that it is ok like that. I know the CMP will help out in dealing with bad op-rods for the V.F.W's ................ not passing the tilt test "may" not be something worth doing , esp if there is a cost .... which I believe from experience there will be
Old 11-22-2018, 10:13 PM

Agree with HunterX. You might try switching the rods to other working rifles since these are ceremonial rifles and most likely not correct. I used to clean the M1s at my legion post with other members. I did my best to prevent the switching of parts. There was one original WW2 M1 out of 8, I believe.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:05 AM

Sad that the rifles are being damaged by neglect.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
I have been doing R&R on the ceremonial Garands used by the local VFW. They have been very lax on clean/lube over several years. The blanks corrode the front end of the op rods & there are two that dont pass the "tilt" test.

Can you straighten these..???

PJH
They actually should have a bow in them and yes they can be re-bowed by someone like the machine shop in Columbus, Ohio. http://www.columbusmachine.com/oprod.htm
Old 11-23-2018, 02:22 PM

Contact CMP Customer Service via email and they will help you out.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Op-rods........One of these showed where someone who must have had some inkling of the problem had filed on it. I put it on my 3/4 plywood work bench above one of the 4x4 legs & swatted it with a rubber hammer. Worked perfectly after that......blind luck on my part. The other 2 are binding on the receiver at the rear site. I tried to bend one of them several times & no change. Pressing my luck..???!!

I contacted two guys who I thought were moderators only to find out they werent..... I found 3 pages of available parts.....no op rods listed.......I will try again but by phone on Monday.

PJH
Old 11-24-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Op-rods........One of these showed where someone who must have had some inkling of the problem had filed on it. I put it on my 3/4 plywood work bench above one of the 4x4 legs & swatted it with a rubber hammer. Worked perfectly after that......blind luck on my part. The other 2 are binding on the receiver at the rear site. I tried to bend one of them several times & no change. Pressing my luck..???!!

I contacted two guys who I thought were moderators only to find out they werent..... I found 3 pages of available parts.....no op rods listed.......I will try again but by phone on Monday.

PJH
Wow, just wow... don’t come anywhere near my M1’s please!!!
Old 11-24-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:

PJH
?? Moderators volunteer to police this forum. Nothing to do with VFW rifle support.
Your 1st post was on Thanksgiving. Allow the CMP team to at least come back to work Monday.
In the interim, take a look at one of the many threads on VFW rifle support, they will most likely assist.
And put the hammer away.
Yikes

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 11-25-2018, 12:35 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
Sad that the rifles are being damaged by neglect.
Its very sad. I can say that the Post I belong too had gotten "brand new" rifles a few years after we turned in our welded receiver ceremonial rifles. Needless to say after years of firing and forgeting all of our have extremely corroded oprods as PJ said its the 3 inches from the tab. Hidden inside the gas tube. For what ever reason the blanks fired make these corrode in that area of the oprod. I have tried to emphasize the need to clear these only to fall upon deaf ears. So now I have my own M1 that I use for funerals and parades.