Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2018, 01:36 PM

One of the recently involved op rods had a small hole in it. Its main spring came out in two pieces. Replaced that one w/post war one I had here.

I cleaned & sanded the last two & coated them with bake on durabond paint.....heres hoping.

PJH
Old 11-27-2018, 01:02 AM

Hi,
If I may be allowed to add a statement to this problem. I am the "Sgt of Arms" at my VFW in Illinois. We have 15 M1 Garand that we use for Military Funerals, Ceremonies, and Parades. Our VFW is one of the busiest ones in the Chicago area. Our rifles do, at times take a bit of abuse, but at my VFW we try to take care of them. I personally strip each and everyone of them down to the individual part, every 2 months. Then clean, inspect and lubricate each part, then reassemble them, test them and put them back in the rifle safe. I have been doing this for 15 years. Our biggest problem is bad blank ammo.
The CMP has been extremely helpful by supporting VFWs and American Legions with the upkeep of these rifles. They have a manual, Written by the Army at the Rock Island Arsenal. This Manual is very detailed with step by step instructions on stripping, cleaning and repairing them. There are color photos for each and every step involved. The manual can be downloaded by anyone.. just look for the section, on this CMP website, listed as VFW Support. Then download it.

About 2 months ago, I contacted Cathie Eden, at the CMP, and told her about a Op Rod on one of our rifles that was no longer serviceable. She had us write her a letter, signed by the VFW Post Commander on VFW letterhead, stating the problem. For a "small" fee, she sent us a replacement Op Rod and a few additional replacement parts. So any VFW/American Legion that needs help give them a call, and ask for assistance.
The CMP does a fantastic job of assisting us in keeping our rifles working. I put a lot of my own personal time on these 15 rifles, but we rarely ever have a rifle failure at a funeral or other function.
I cannot speak for other VFWs, we have about 20-25 members on the Honor Guard, almost all are over 60 years old, several in their 80s, we do try hard to keep them functioning properly.
We/I would like to say Thank You to all of you at the CMP for all the support you give us.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:30 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, we sent the old Op Rod back to the CMP for them to rebuild, it was not rusted out, just badly chewed up at the bolt end.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:31 AM

Apparently I am the only one interested and maybe only one capable of servicing these rifles. I am not a Vet....... My daughter is. Some of the Vets are also drag racers. This is where I got involved. We, me & the vets & maybe one/two of their family members, have an informal luncheon on Thursday, 15 to 18 attendees. The discussion venue is mostly Vet. affairs & drag racing....& recently, declining health of several...never guns. I looked at some of the guns at a 2018 Mem. Day ceremony in the park where the honor guard guys had the rifles in prep for ceremonial firing......I noticed two with no handguards. I told the commander that I could supply & install them. That was the beginning of the R&R effort I am currently involved in. After refinishing one of the stocks, he asked me if I could refinish them all to the same general color & ad white slings. I am in that process now. This all started after Memorial Day parade, 2018. The general consensus from those in charge is that they never officially had an "armourer"......one guy from another post came a time or two 10 or so years ago. He may be the one who filed on the op rod.

PJH

Last edited by heckinohio; 11-27-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:56 PM

I understand what you are talking about as far as the rifles are concerned. When I first got to the VFW Post, they had someone come by, once a year and look at the rifles. He charged the Post $20.00 per rifle, and from what the "old guys" said, he did very little on them at that. At that time the Post only had 8 rifles...and only 5 worked, the rest were all in pieces and many parts missing.
I reluctantly agreed to look at them...I ordered the needed parts from sarco, and got them all working.....About 6 or 7 years ago I submitted paperwork to TACOM (Army) to receive 7 more M1 Garands. This brought us up to our full authorization amount of 15.. Since them, I have managed to get my hands on 2 chromed 1917 Remington/Eddystone rifles, from a local police dept, that was going to have them be destroyed.. They were in perfect condition. We now use them for Honor Guard casket guards. 5 years ago I ordered a CMP drill rifle M1 Garand, which we use for the fallen soldier battlefield cross at memorials.
Somewhere along the way I found out about CMP helping with needed parts and additional support for VFWs...Bottom line I have found out that if I don't take care of our Garands...no one else is willing to step up and take over the task or job...I guess that this is a problem at many Posts.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to me109g4

I have done a few posts guns, and enjoy doing them, but have done none recently in spite of offering. Seems a lot don't trust anyone to look at them anymore.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 PM

We have found the same thing here too.. at our district VFW meetings, the other VFWs have commented on the quality and reliability of our post's rifles. Our post commander has offered our help in maintaining their rifles, and more important, training some of their members to clean and maintain them. They say its ok, and turn down the offer..Later we find that they no longer have the manpower to field Honor Guards...so we pick up their duties...Thats the way things seem to go these days..many VFWs and American Legion Posts are closing down...the younger Vets are not interested in joining
Old 11-28-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
Apparently I am the only one interested and maybe only one capable of servicing these rifles. I am not a Vet....... My daughter is. Some of the Vets are also drag racers. This is where I got involved. We, me & the vets & maybe one/two of their family members, have an informal luncheon on Thursday, 15 to 18 attendees. The discussion venue is mostly Vet. affairs & drag racing....& recently, declining health of several...never guns. I looked at some of the guns at a 2018 Mem. Day ceremony in the park where the honor guard guys had the rifles in prep for ceremonial firing......I noticed two with no handguards. I told the commander that I could supply & install them. That was the beginning of the R&R effort I am currently involved in. After refinishing one of the stocks, he asked me if I could refinish them all to the same general color & ad white slings. I am in that process now. This all started after Memorial Day parade, 2018. The general consensus from those in charge is that they never officially had an "armourer"......one guy from another post came a time or two 10 or so years ago. He may be the one who filed on the op rod.

PJH
OP, If you want to contact the CMP you need to do so directly. Posting on here or contacting mods is not the way. You may eventually get a hold of them but direct is best. This was from their website:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/veteran-support/

CMP SUPPORT TO VETERAN ORGANIZATIONS
CMP CEREMONIAL RIFLE PROGRAM
The CMP proudly supports the U.S. Armyís TACOM Life Cycle Management Commandís Static Display and Ceremonial Rifle program by servicing and shipping M1 Garand rifles to eligible organizations for ceremonial purposes, at no cost to the government.

The CMP is the organization designated by the U.S. Government with providing weapon support, including parts replacement information, and weapon maintenance training to law enforcement, civilian and veteran service organizations and national cemeteries that are furnished with M1 Garand Rifles. In addition, CMP assists with the reporting and onsite data collection for malfunctions. Please contact custserve@thecmp.org or 256-835-8455 for additional information.

CMP armorers inspect, repair, test fire, install blank firing adapters and ship ceremonial M1 Garand rifles for TACOM at no charge. The CMP has been providing volunteers to inspect and repair ceremonial rifles at veteran organizations, when feasible, since 2003.

RIFLE INSPECTION AND REPAIR
Veterans organizations needing assistance with inspection and repair of their rifles (Krag, M1917, M1903, M1903A3, M1 Garand) should contact Tom Whitten at CMP: twhitten@thecmp.org; 419-635-2141 x 713.

Veterans organizations may purchase M1 Garand repair parts from CMP by contacting Jennifer Smith at 256-835-8455 x 137, jsmith@thecmp.org ; fax 256-835-3527. The following parts are available.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:03 AM

Tothemax........Thank you for the contact information. I am waiting on parts that were advertised in this forums WTS:. I am also re-re-re-finishing one of the hackberry stock sets. They have 7 rifles, I have two of them here some of the time for R&R. I can always let them use one (more??) of mine if needed. When I get to the next two, I may follow through on the contact information. Seems their primary interest at this point is stock up grade/repair & making them all some where near the same color........hence the effort with the hackberry stock set.

PJH
Old 11-28-2018, 05:16 PM

Default blank cartridge firing in the M1 Garand

I have helped with maintenance on our Disabled American Veterans {DAV} Honor Guard and Tom Whitten at the CMP has been a lot of help with parts to keep the rifles working.

The blank cartridges are very dirty and corrode op rods and barrel threads with the Blank Firing Adapters {BFA} on, some are very hard to remove due to corrosion, so the barrel can be cleaned.

I have a few of the BFA for the M1 if your Honor Guards needs some. Remember the hole in the BFA needs to be drilled out to .172 for the best firing of the blanks.