Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Jeff1963 Jeff1963 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Interesting. I am curious, for those who don't like this (FYI, I would be 100% satisfied with all posted in this thread), just what was expected, based on the descriptions given and actual facts released (including the AR article)?

The newest was made in what, 1945? They were advertised (not that CMP needed to repeat this) as having been in service since, and many were rebuilt and placed in storage.

That is what I envisioned. Will there be some gems in the general release; well, based on CMP's history, I expect such (and have seen them in the 1911s). Am I hoping for something "better"? I can't say that I am; knowing what the market prices are and what CMP described; what I have seen seems to exceed my expectations. I have, after all, seen 1911s in (recent) military service. I don't recall seeing any collector items!



Here's the thing: All on this forum know now what to expect, so when CMP calls wanting that credit card number, you have so been informed. If you post (after this week; clearly some in this thread did not expect what they got ) that you feel betrayed, personally attacked or swindled, don't be offended at the lack of sympathy received.



Apologies if this offended anyone, not my intention at all. If what has been pictured isn't what you want, then simply don't buy it.

JH


For further clarification, John. I would be happy with one less pristine than the SG’s that have been received so far. I remember last winter here and other forums where guys were speculating that these pistols would be junk, not worth the “hoops”, application too hard..etc ad nauseum. Well, here we are and these pistols are definitely not “junk”....LOL


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  #22  
Old 12-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Kraaaken Kraaaken is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Aurora IL
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Interesting. I am curious, for those who don't like this (FYI, I would be 100% satisfied with all posted in this thread), just what was expected, based on the descriptions given and actual facts released (including the AR article)?


Well, the pictures in the American Rifleman article shows the 1911s as dark brown and legible not sandblasted grey requiring an oil layer. That was what I was expecting.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-inside-story/





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Thanks...
K
  #23  
Old 12-08-2018, 02:36 PM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is online now
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 3,721
Default

That was one picture, of a crate from the museum system. The article mentions the majority of them being boxed, and I recall Mr. Johnson unboxing one of those as well. In fact, the article specifically mentions one from that crate will be an auction pistol.
The article also clearly shows a series of photos of the just-unboxed (as in the bulk of this year's shipment) being a rebuild, freshly parked, quite possibly the one you received
I understand you are happy with yours, as most of us would be.

My reading the many sources (that article, CMP1911-actual posts, descriptions on the CMP / 1911 websites caused me to expect pretty much what you got. Anything better is just a freak bonus, to me.
JH
__________________
Zvenoman

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
  #24  
Old 12-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Fogtripper Fogtripper is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 2,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Interesting. I am curious, for those who don't like this (FYI, I would be 100% satisfied with all posted in this thread), just what was expected, based on the descriptions given and actual facts released (including the AR article)?
The newest was made in what, 1945? They were advertised (not that CMP needed to repeat this) as having been in service since, and many were rebuilt and placed in storage.
That is what I envisioned. Will there be some gems in the general release; well, based on CMP's history, I expect such (and have seen them in the 1911s). Am I hoping for something "better"? I can't say that I am; knowing what the market prices are and what CMP described; what I have seen seems to exceed my expectations. I have, after all, seen 1911s in (recent) military service. I don't recall seeing any collector items!

Here's the thing: All on this forum know now what to expect, so when CMP calls wanting that credit card number, you have so been informed. If you post (after this week; clearly some in this thread did not expect what they got ) that you feel betrayed, personally attacked or swindled, don't be offended at the lack of sympathy received.

Apologies if this offended anyone, not my intention at all. If what has been pictured isn't what you want, then simply don't buy it.
JH
You know that the posts that have the opposing view of what have been graded as SGs have been deleted and warned against, so what is your point of rubbing salt in it? Would be happy to discuss this topic but it is clearly not a discussion that is welcome here.
  #25  
Old 12-08-2018, 03:01 PM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is online now
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 3,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
You know that the posts that have the opposing view of what have been graded as SGs have been deleted and warned against, so what is your point of rubbing salt in it? Would be happy to discuss this topic but it is clearly not a discussion that is welcome here.
Some of us can in fact engage in a debate without resorting to name calling (one of your posts that was deleted), agitation (a few others, apparently deleted) and significant discontent in this 100% voluntary spend of our 1st world discretionary funds.

You don't like CMP1911's offerings. I get it. And I don't care. I have yet to see one posted CMP 1911 that would not make me more than happy considering the $1070 spent.I haven't seen one that appeared to not meet the grade description. But I have seen a few that far exceeded such.

I have no control over your feelings sir. I sincerely apologize for your salted wound and wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

Respectfully;
JH

Edit: I thought about this a bit. Rubbing salt in wounds? No sir. Not my intent, and I suspect most would not interpret them as such.
Presenting facts and using logic, not false hope. CMP, in my experience, does not delete posts with alternate views, but I have seen a pattern of them taking action against posts that are inaccurate, demeaning or simply hateful.
I personally enjoy a spirited discussion among professionals, but when posters make cowardly statement from their keyboards that they would not have the courage to say in person; I always see those deleted.
__________________
Zvenoman

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 12-08-2018 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Edit
  #26  
Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Kraaaken Kraaaken is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Aurora IL
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
That was one picture, of a crate from the museum system. The article mentions the majority of them being boxed, and I recall Mr. Johnson unboxing one of those as well. In fact, the article specifically mentions one from that crate will be an auction pistol.
The article also clearly shows a series of photos of the just-unboxed (as in the bulk of this year's shipment) being a rebuild, freshly parked, quite possibly the one you received
I understand you are happy with yours, as most of us would be.

My reading the many sources (that article, CMP1911-actual posts, descriptions on the CMP / 1911 websites caused me to expect pretty much what you got. Anything better is just a freak bonus, to me.
JH
Well feels like a bit of bait and switch to me. Will see how the auction goes.
__________________
Thanks...
K
  #27  
Old 12-08-2018, 06:16 PM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is online now
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 3,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraaaken View Post
Well feels like a bit of bait and switch to me. Will see how the auction goes.
No disrespect intended, but the article you linked was pretty clear.

A few notable quotes from that article:
  • These 8,000 pistols fought on battlefields from Europe to Southeast Asia, only to then be consigned to long-term storage in a government warehouse.
  • For all of their attractive and inherently collectible qualities though, these museum system guns represent the minority of the 8,000 currently on hand at the CMP and it is likely that they will all receive Auction Grade designation.
  • On the other hand, the majority of the pistols currently in the vault are M1911A1s that were until recently in a Defense Logistics Agency warehouse. These pistols were rebuilt at Anniston Army Depot (“ANAD”) between 1978 and 1982, and they wear a light gray Parkerized finish.
  • When these pistols are made available for purchase later this year, they will be graded according to overall condition and sold at the following prices: Service Grade, $1,050 plus shipping; Field Grade, $950 plus shipping; and Rack Grade, $850 plus shipping.
  • The CMP expects to receive as many as 75,000 orders for the 8,000 pistols now sitting in the vault, so a lottery system will be used to select buyers.
  • One thing is for certain, though. All of them will sell—making 8,000 enthusiasts, collectors and marksmen proud new owners of John Browning’s masterpiece.

I included the last 2; note that we were all expecting the process to sort the applications received in September to take months, not weeks before pistols started appearing.
Of course, none of the above changes my contempt for CMP's unfair lottery system; unfair simply because ~1500 people who are not me have been notified of their RNG number. Once I am so notified I will consider CMP to be fair and efficient.

(Sarcasm for the .0002% who have not learned that I live and breath such)

JH
__________________
Zvenoman

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
  #28  
Old 12-08-2018, 06:37 PM
grumpa72 grumpa72 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moon Township, PA
Posts: 2,257
Default

Zvenoman,

I like your post but I REALLY like your sarcasm aka humor.
  #29  
Old 12-08-2018, 07:02 PM
rapid86 rapid86 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NE
Posts: 748
Default

Zvenoman:

You're right on the money this time. Two solutions have been offered for the problem raised -- a less than personally satisfactory 1911-A1: Return it for a refund or sell it on the open market. As Henry II would have said, "Will no one rid us of this troublesome priest?"

I was fortunate enough to get my first carbine in the lottery of two years ago. When I first got it, I wasn't real happy with it, mostly based on too many loose parts. Easy repairs for me, turned out to be a great shooter; quite accurate. All that counted for me.
__________________
Wise men debate public policy, fools decide it. -- Anacharsis
  #30  
Old 12-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Todd Todd is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Talent OR
Posts: 89
Default

I feel Lucky just getting a # in the 2k range, and will certainly be happy with any 1911/A1 I receive. Ya I have my fingers crossed for a Colt Slide, but whatever I get I will give it a good loving home and feed it lots of ammo. ;-)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.