Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2018, 07:37 AM

Default 1911 Colt (produced in 1914)

I need the advise of the forum. I'm looking for a USGI barrel for a 1911 Colt produced in 1914, if possible, to replace the original, when shooting on rare occasion. The current barrel's rifling is a bit weak but very visible and clear of any corrosion. If I have to go after market from a price a standpoint Sarco leads the pack but I'm hearing I'll need a gunsmith to install any aftermarket barrel. She's a family heirloom with provenance back to my grandfather ( grand dad served in WWI as a Cpt. and was allowed to purchase his side arm for service rendered).Yes,I have the receipt.He supposedly fired it frequently afterwards as did my father, I'm 66 and starting to thin the herd to my sons. I know either one will fire her hence the research to find a barrel. I thank you for any help.Try to find an affordable replacement or just pass he on as is?

Joe
Old 12-18-2018, 09:02 AM

If it were me, I'd leave it as is to lessen the chance that the original barrel gets lost. It's never going to be a match gun - wasn't meant to be - and should probably have limited rounds through it anyway to lessen the chance of something bad happening. So let whichever son inherits it take it out once or twice a year to put a mag or two through it exactly as his great grandad carried it. It would probably still hit MOG (minute-of-German) at 25 yards anyway.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:27 AM

If it were me, I'd leave it as is to lessen the chance that the original barrel gets lost. It's never going to be a match gun - wasn't meant to be - and should probably have limited rounds through it anyway to lessen the chance of something bad happening. So let whichever son inherits it take it out once or twice a year to put a mag or two through it exactly as his great grandad carried it. It would probably still hit MOG (minute-of-German) at 25 yards anyway.

Joe, this note from thebearpack is the best advice you will find anywhere. With the exception of maybe springs and small parts, that weapon is in the shape your grandpa brought back from from France in 1919. It iis a true historical relic. A little research into what unit, and where Grandpa was, will only add significance to it.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:55 AM

Default Thanks for the feed back.

Most are telling me not to touch her. I'm just concerned about safety. Grand dads papers have him with the 5th Marines.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:41 AM

In spring 1918, the 5th Marine regiment was involved in the fierce battle of Belleau Wood and was given the nickname Devil Dog.The Fifth subsequently participated in the offensive campaigns at Aisne, Battle of Saint-Mihiel and in the Meuse-Argonne offensive. They also participated in the defensive campaigns at Toulon-Troyon, Château-Thierry, Marbache and Limey.

Well Joe, if he was a Capt (Co Cmdr?) during this time in the 5th history and participated in these campaigns with that pistol, you are the owner of weapon any museum in the country would like to have. Shoot it a couple times a year and don't touch it.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemel12 View Post
Most are telling me not to touch her. I'm just concerned about safety. Grand dads papers have him with the 5th Marines.
You mention safety; what concerns do you have?

Your original posts says: "The current barrel's rifling is a bit weak but very visible and clear of any corrosion."

Does it group reasonably well? If so, you have described a nice, shootable barrel.
Don't fix it until it breaks, and devalue it as well.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 12-18-2018, 12:09 PM

If was me I would not shoot it, it could be damaged and historical value would go to rock bottom Zero. Lots of .45 guns out there the kids can shoot..

Last edited by packrat2; 12-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:26 PM

Scott Gahimer (m1911info.com) wrote a very good piece on why not to shoot a historical pistol. It is quoted in this thread from the 1911 Forum.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=278153

As can be told from the references to the age of the pistols, it was written some time ago, but is perhaps even more pertinent today, especially with respect to a family heirloom.

If you agree with Scott, you may want to print it out for discussion with you children.

Scott is still active in the 1911 community, and is very personable and easy to talk to. I have had several enjoyable discussions with him. You can reach him through his website, which has email and phone info.

"Life is Good!"
Old 12-18-2018, 02:09 PM

The barrel is not what I would worry about. The bigger issue I see is taking a family heirloom and having the slide fracture. It could happen on the first shot or 100th or 10,000th, every time the trigger is pulled that could be it.

It is your gun to do with as you choose, but if it means that much I would not fire it. There are a lot of cheap (compared to a 1914 1911) clones if you want to pick up a 1911 to shoot and think about your great grandfather.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:34 PM

Barrel not a problem, but the slide or frame can crack with a lot of shooting. Leave it alone.