Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2019, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyWalker View Post
I'm not even sure what, if anything, is so special about these guns. So this is where I'll ask the audience.... what's so valuable about these pistols? Yeah, yeah... so some guy bought one on GB for just over $2k. I'm not asking about financial value as much as I'm asking about historical value. I'll never sell this, so it's not about dollar value.... I'm curious what you all find 'valuable' about these pistols... what's your connection to them?
The thing I find unique and historical is that the 1911 government contract for these pistols ended at the end of WWII. So if you carried one in the Army it dates back to WWII or earlier. Still around after all these years.....
Old 05-23-2019, 10:31 AM

What about the ones that the Marine Corps was using up to the end in 1994? Any idea if they were stamped "US Army" ? I just don't know if I ever even looked at it closely enough back then!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:23 PM

My father was Navy MSC. He went into Vietnam with the Marines when went in. He was responsible for organizing the medical support. On the rare opportunities where he shared that part of his life, I realized how hard he worked to keep our men and women alive. We I was so Blessed to know many of his peers and watched them come home to a nation who did not appreciate them. Fortunately he lived long enough to see the wave of change and appreciation of our military. I am praying for either a Marine 1911A1 as that is what I believe he carried, having been attached to them most of his 25 year career. If I do, I promise to cry. I no longer have my dad, so this would be a treasure for me, and something for my 2 sons, both West Point Grads to fight over. Thanks to the CMP and this forum for letting me ramble.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:55 PM

I have compared that special feeling as, shaking hands with John Browning.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofasailor View Post
If I do, I promise to cry. I no longer have my dad, so this would be a treasure for me, and something for my 2 sons, both West Point Grads to fight over. Thanks to the CMP and this forum for letting me ramble.
Outstanding sir!
Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:44 PM

Can’t wait to show mine to my 92 year old WWII Navy Vet Dad. He was a deep sea diver on a salvage ship. Enlisted at 16 years old after lying about his age. I’m sure it will bring back memories. Fond or not.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
Canít wait to show mine to my 92 year old WWII Navy Vet Dad.
When you do, take some pictures if he'll allow you to share! Thinking back to those 2 months that I carried this in the Marine Corps is super nostalgic for me!... so I can only imagine your Father's.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyWalker View Post
When you do, take some pictures if he'll allow you to share! Thinking back to those 2 months that I carried this in the Marine Corps is super nostalgic for me!... so I can only imagine your Father's.
I will do that. He will be proud.