Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade > Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Default RtL's January Book Sale! UPDATED Again

Updated to reflect recent sales. (1/14/11) Any book no longer listed is SPF.

With plenty of winter left, now is the time to stock up on some good reading material. Check out “Rick’s Picks” for my personal choices. A Vietnam War series selection, some WWII and Korea and some excellent “Rick’s Picks” selections. Note there are several attractive “bundle” offers and some books are offered at reduced prices.

PLEASE NOTE:

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me or other arrangements are made. Money orders will get instant next business day mailing. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hardbacked unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered.

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

Thanks for looking!

RtL

I. “Rick’s Picks”

1) “World War II: Order of Battle” by Shelby Stanton.SOLD

2) “Firefighters: There Lives In Their Own Worlds” by Dennis Smith. An “oral history” of what it means to be a firefighter, from the smallest volunteer department to big ones like New York. What it’s like at the station, going on a call, when one of your buddies dies – this book says it all. If you have ever done any firefighting you will LOVE this book – I did!! Trade ppk. $5.00

3) “Dave Barry’s Complete Guide to Guys” by Dave Barry. Barry, in this hugely funny book, explores The Noogie Gene, Why guys remember the 1960 world series but not the names of their kids, the REAL reason for the space shuttle, what a guy really thinks about on a date, and the future of guy-dom. Hilarious!! VG-E, $4.95

II. World War II & Korea

1) “At Dawn We Slept” by Gordon Prange. SOLD

2) “The Pacific War Remembered: An Oral History. SOLD

III. Civil War and U.S. History

1) “The Civil War” by Geoffrey Ward and Ken Burns.SOLD

2) “Undaunted Courage” by Stephen Ambrose. The best-selling story of the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1804-1806. Very readable and THE book to read on this epic journey. VG trade ppk. $5.95

IV. Biography

1) “General Ike” by Alden Hatch. A wartime biography of Eisenhower, written towards the end of WWII. A view of Eisenhower, as he was seen at the time of his command of SHAEF. G-VG, $5.00 REDUCED to $3.50

2 ) “Fortunate Son: The Autobiography of Lewis B. Puller Jr.” SOLD

3) “I Could Never Be So Lucky Again” by Jimmy Doolittle. SOLD

4) “Truman” by David McCullough. A massive 900 page story, 10 years in the writing. From his early roots in Missouri, his WWI service and his political rise from an unknown to “accidental president upon the death of FDR. His miracle 1948 election victory, and much more. McCollough is the dean of modern American historians. Near New, $10.00

5) “Dan Rooney: My 75 Years With the Pittsburgh Steelers”. The autobiography of Dan Rooney, son of Steeler legend Art Rooney. Dan Rooney, was in many ways, architect of the powerful Steeler teams of the 1970s and their return to power in the 2000s. Just in time for the playoffs. Near New, $8.50

6) “Give Me My Spirit Back” by Cecil White. An AUTOGRAPHED autobiography about a black Army officer who joined up near the end of segregation and served towards the end of WWII and in Korea. A fascinating look at a black soldier during those changing times. Trade ppk. NEW - $8.95

V. Misc. Military & General History

1) “Time Capsule” series: “Time Magazine brought these out about 35 years ago. They were abridgments of actual stories and articles that ran in “Time” magazine in various years. They are divided into events of the year, national news, international events, personalities, war (if there was one going on), culture, etc. Written before the liberal bias when Time really was an outstanding news magazine. Available for the following years – 1927 and 1950

Ex. $6.50 ea or two for $10.00 REDUCED to$4.95 ea. or both for $8.95

2) “Storm over Iraq” by Richard Hallion. Military historian Hallion has written the definitive text on the role of air power in the Gulf War. His access to recently declassified materials and to current postwar analyses has significantly dated both Norman Friedman's Desert Victory (Naval Inst. Press, 1991) and U.S. News & World Report's Triumph Without Victory (Random House, 1992). The early chapters detail the role of air power from World War I through Noriega's capture in Panama. The main body of the text describes the air war in the Persian Gulf and shows how U.S. Air Force planning and modern technology drastically shortened the final land phase of combat. The most interesting sections are the conclusion and appendixes, which offer much new information from personal sources and military studies. Near new, $10.00 REDUCED to $8.00

3) “Modern Elite Forces” by Max Walmer. A pictorial look at elite forces around the world, including Seals, rangers, special forces, the SAS, and others. VG, but slight spine split. $3.00

4) “Armored Cav” by Tom Clancy. A “guided tour” of an armored cavalry regiment in the modern era by famed author Tom Clancy. A close look at men, training, tanks, armored vehicles and helicopters, as well as a “what if” scenario. Trade ppk. Near new, $5.95

5) “Submarine” by Tom Clancy. A similar format to #4 above, but on a Los Angeles class nuclear submarine. Trade ppk. Near new, $4.95

***Buy both #4 and #5 and pay just $9.00**

6) “The Three Edwards” by Thomas Costain.SOLD

7) “The White Death” by McKay Jenkins. In December, 1969, five young men set out to climb Mt. Cleveland in Glacier National Park. None of them came back. The attempts to rescue, and later, find their bodies many months later. Excellent book about mountain climbing and the risks. New, $8.50

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 02-02-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM

I'll take:

VI. “What If” History

1) “The Third World War: August, 1985” by Sir John Hackett.

2) “What If”: The World’s Foremost Military Historians Imagine What Might Have Been.

3) “What Ifs of American History” –

. Buy ALL THREE and pay just $14.00! ***

VI. Miscellaneous Subjects:

Four books on digital photography - $22.00 for all four

Send me an email!

Thanks!

alexander

Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM

I'll take "Moon Shot"
Old 01-13-2011, 01:36 PM

PM Sent
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM

PMs/emails sent to all those contacting me. Will update list shortly.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Lightbulb Civil War;

Rick; I would like; III items 2 and 3. All three from item 2. Let me know the total;
CE
Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 PM

PM sent and list updated again.

RtL
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 PM

Rick:

I would like “Battleship at War” by Ivan Musicant. Please PM me with details.

Thank you,
Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 PM

PM sent - thanks. list updated.

--RtL
Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 PM

I will take "The Vietnam Experience Set" pm sent. Thanks Ross 3605.