Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Default 1903 Stock ID Help

I have a 1903A1 Springfield, 990xxx (mfr date of 1918) with a barrel marked 8-42. It looks like a C Stock, Type 8 based on the images from this posting: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33946

Can anyone tell me anything else about this stock? There are no carouches, but there is an "S" over an "O" under the Safety Lock. The "S" I am assuming is "Springfield".

This rifle was a 1960's DCM purchase and has not been altered since then.

Last edited by .30 Carbine; 01-16-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 AM

The stock is a pre-WWII Type C stock made at Springfield Armory. The lack of an inspection stamp probably denotes the fact the stock was replaced at the local level or by a previous civilian owner. I know that John Beard could probably tell you more.

Type C stocks were available commercially for as little as $5.95 in the 1960s.

Something also to keep in mind is that the "Type" (like "Type 8) designators were invented by authors Joe Poyer and Jesse Harrison and have no official basis. It is better (IMHO) to offer a straight description (and excellent pictures, by the way) than to use these.

Nice rifle!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks Rick! The information helps. All I know is that it was originally my grandfathers and it was rarely shot. I don't have the DCM paperwork, but I believe that is how he acquired the rifle.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Rick the Librarian is correct. Your stock was manufactured at Springfield Armory prior to WWII. Absence of an inspection stamp and proof mark strongly suggests that your stock was issued to the Navy or USMC. Most stocks like the one you have were. E-mail for details.

Hope this helps.

J.B.