Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 PM

Default Magazines: 15rd, 30rd

I just finished reading the magazine ID information.

My local shop has 15 round Korean magazines and 30rd unmarked magazines.

The 15rd Korean mags are individually packaged in paper pouches just as shown in the mag info on this site. I'm given to understand these are considered acceptable quality mags, yes?

The 30rd unmarked mags are individually wrapped in greased paper. I'm given to understand these are probably NOT high quality, yes?

Thanks for any help/ advice.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 PM

The Korean mags function just fine. Most are marked KCI.
Many 30 round mags are in fact junk and are hit or miss as to function.

I have had good luck with aftermarket mags made by Keepshooting. Many here on the forum have also purchased these mags.
http://www.keepshooting.com

Last edited by MH53Gunner; 01-02-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Those 30 rds are probably the fake SEY ones and are junk. There are good 30 rd commercial mags on the market - they too come in sealed brown paper. I understand that they are also Korean. They are NEW and look the part - well finished. The ones I have are marked "UU" on the back strap. I have 6 of them and each of them have proven to be reliable, and have never mis-feed. I have one loaded and sitting for a 6-month spring test now. I was able to get both the 15 rd KCI and the 30 rd UU from CTD since I live close to the store (they have a warehouse outlet counter in the back of the "Same-name-but-different-owner" store) here in Ft Worth.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 PM

The 15 and 30 round mags from Korea in the sealed barcoded bags from AIM Surplus have all been of first rate quality as good as any USGI. I have never had one jamb yet due to the magazine.

The kraft grease paper wrapped 30s you describe have been floating about for a couple years and are of way lesser quality if of any quality at all. I have avoided them enitrely as they don't look all that well made.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 PM

I have 3 15 rd KCI and 1 30 round UU - all four worked well when I tried them last week. I am going to put my WW II magazines away and use the 3 115 rd KCI for range mags.

Last edited by rlexx; 01-03-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 AM

Guys, I've got six 30-round mags, five of which are commercial. all six run fine in both my Inland and my NPM. Want to run 30s you need a M2 Mag-catch. Otherwise, the weight of the loaded mag tilts it inside the mag-well and they won't feed. M1 mag.catches were designed to make 15 rounders feed, you need the support nub on the M2 catch to properly align the magazine.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 AM

E-7, I have tried numerious 30 rd mags over the years from the "blank" to SEY to M2 to USA, to etc and I have an M-2 catch. I don't have a REAL USGI 30 rd mag (wish I did). Anyway, I have no prob with these new Korean 30 rd mags. With most of commercial 30 rd mags have issues with the angel of the lips or spring length, etc and are just poor quality. You are lucky that you are not having issues. Me? I'm happy that these new Koreans are on the market and that they are so cheap! But to your original point, even with good mags, you should use a M-2 catch to prevent damage to the mag's tips....
Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 AM

Tired, understand, before I put in the M2 catch, none of them worked.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 AM

Thanks to all for the information.

So what I gather from this is:

1. 30rd mags found here (www.keepshooting.com) can be considered quality magazines?

2. In order to make even quality 30rd mags run reliably I need to install an M2 magazine catch?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
So what I gather from this is:

2. In order to make even quality 30rd mags run reliably I need to install an M2 magazine catch?
No, in many cases it is not necessary to have a M2 mag catch installed to use 30 round mags. I do not have one, and I run 30 round mags exclusively without a problem. Try it, and if there is a problem, then buy and install the M2 mag catch.

Don