Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Default difference between stock types?

Hello, Newbie, with a question, What is the difference between the different stock types for the carbines... I keep seeing references to 'high-wood' & low wood' etc. How do you identify each & which is consirered 'more desireable'. (if there's a consensous). Thanks!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 AM

I'm no expert, but here's my take on what I've learned to date...

I was trying to find some references online to point you to, but couldn't in my quick search.

For a collector, the most desirable is the one that was original or correct with that s/n, with all the correct markings.

This is just a simple over view....

The low / high wood, speaks to the section of the stock, by the oprod, you'll see a slot there (between the stock and handguard), where the rod can be seen. On low wood, there is less wood on the stock, and more of the rod seen. On high wood, there is a thin piece of wood on the stock that hides about 1/2 of the height of the oprod.
These stocks generally have a more slender look to them over all.

For shooters, many find the M2 potbelly stocks have a better feel.
The M2 stock was designed with some more wood between the front of the trigger gaurd and behind the barrel band. The stock looks slightly pregnant.
As I understand it, for the development of the M2 carbine (select fire semi-auto), a web had to be removed, and the basic slender M1 stock would crack, so the M2 potbelly was designed and generally considered a post war replacement stock. Which many like on a shooter. I have both a M1 WWII stock and M2, I can say I do feel the M1 is slightly ligher and more slender, and I find the potbelly fills my hand more when holding the carbine during shooting off hand standing.

Last edited by ramit; 01-05-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM

I found a pix on the web of high vs low wood.
High wood on top..

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM

Besides the M2 stock having a potbelly, it has a cut out for the selector switch....

Here's my NPM with a M2 stock, and the red circle shows the cut out for the selector switch.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Here's an original inland with low wood, and the slender stock outline that's pretty typical..

and the lower pix is of my npm with the m2 potbell stock.
Notice from the front of the trigger guard to the barrel band, it looks a bit pregnant (slight hanging "potbelly") , more wood.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 AM

I'm sure this is posted somewhere else, but here's a basic overview. There are 5 types of carbine stocks, generally classified by collectors as Type I thru Type V.

Type I - First style of carbine stock. Identified by the I cut oiler slot and high wood over the op rod (slide) as pictured above in Ramit's post.

Type II - Identical to Type I in dimensions and was still a high wood. The difference is that the oiler slot was changed to an oval shape. Note that both Type I and Type II stocks may have been cut back to low wood during rebuilds.

Type III - Same dimensions and oval oiler slot as Type II, except type III was cut to low wood over the op rod.

Type IV - Same dimensions and style as Type III, with internal cuts made to accept M2 parts, as seen in Ramit's picture above.

Type V - "Potbelly" stock, with thicker dimensions then all previous types to handle the M2 design better. All post war stocks were milled as Type V and used on both the M1 and M2 carbines.

Hope this helps!

By the way, Great pictures, Ramit!

All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Last edited by KnickKnack; 01-05-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 AM

thnx KnickKnack.

And thanks for filling the official type designations and details. I didn't know them well enough.

Found a photo on line of a stock with I cut oiler and highwood...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Default atocks

Thanks to all for the great info, explainations & pics!..I now see very plainly the difference,

Learning more every day

MJL61
Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 PM

All the M1 stocks (types I, II, III) are worth than the M2 stocks. Rockola, IR-IP, S'G' marked stocks are worth the most since they are the least common. Basically an original cartouche on the right side makes the stock worth more.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 AM

I have what I understand to be a "Quality Hardware stock, made by Rockola". Inside the sling cutout it's stamped "Q-RM" in 1/8" letters, looks like there may have been something after the "M", and I can see a faint outline of a rectangle around the letters. Has a small crossed cannons stamp on the right side, about 1" in front of the oiler cutout. All very faint and well-worn or previously sanded.

I'm told it's rare and valuable, is it?