Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 AM

so how would mr Beard explain the new barrels that have short chambers, and in the wrap with a punch mark ???its been discussed before.
as iv said before...if it were easier to post pics...i would.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:42 PM

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/p...tage/011-3.jpg
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM

I am by far not an expert here!
But I have what appears to be a new in the original grease wrap 1903a3 barrel.
I purchased it locally at a gun shop who's owner told me he had purchased them in a sealed crate many years ago.
The wrapper on the barrel was still sealed, although it was in kinda rough condition from sitting around for years.
I opened the end of the wrapper to see what the barrel date was.
I had to wipe away the grease so I could see it.
I just went down and looked at the barrel and it has the punch mark.
I have not checked the chamber, but if it is not a nos barrel why would they coat used barrels in grease, wrap them up and place them in a wood crates? That seems odd to me?
If its not a new barrel, man did I overpay for it!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM

John did state his opinion on barrels before 1943, but shrugged on later ones. That said, I have 5 NOS barrels from 42 to 44 and all have proof a punch and the P under the barrel. Now, I would have to wonder if these were done after install, as the park would be pierced and it doesn't appear so. All do exhibit a proof firing. We're these mounted on a test rig, fired and then punched and parked? That would make the most sense to me.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak49shooter View Post
We're these mounted on a test rig, fired and then punched and parked?
Yes. Barrels were required to be proved before being installed on a service receiver or being turned into stores. The requirement to mark them with a punch was an old requirement and not rigidly enforced in the WW II era. Remington seems to have been pretty consistent with the markings, based on the many NIW barrels that I've seen. Smith-Corona, not so much.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to MajWatz

Would that mean test rigs/receivers had the capability of being adjusted for short chambered barrels when proof fired?

To make it more confusing, I have an 03 SA rifle, receiver manufactured Apr 1934 (possible WWII build from held receivers) with a SA barrel dated 9-42 with no prick punch, and a 03 RA rifle, receiver manufactured Dec 1942) with most likely a replacement HS barrel dated 10-44 with no prick punch. My 03-A3 rifle, RA receiver manufactured Sep 1943 with a RA barrel dated 7-43 with prick punch. All purchased from the CMP years ago.
Senior Member (1572) of old CMP forum since 31 JUL 2006
M1CC - Member No: 239
GCA - Member No: 12919

NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, ROA Life Member, AUSA Life Member, MOAA Life Member, American Legion
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/Range Safety Officer
Texas CHL/LTC

Last edited by MajWatz; 08-28-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajWatz View Post
Would that mean test rigs/receivers had the capability of being adjusted for short chambered barrels when proof fired?
You guys have assumed that the barrels were proved with the "standard" cal .30 pressure test cartridge which was used to prove the assembled rifle. They were not. Early in '03 production, the chamber was not even fully cut, nor was the breech coned. Colvin & Viall has a a drawing of the "proof chamber". The idea was to weed out barrels of defective material before a lot of time and money was invested in further machining. The cartridge was rather funny looking.

The WW II era process instruction that is in the back of Brophy's book indicates that barrels were proved with the "finished" breech (coned) and chamber (i.e. the short chamber) but before finishing. There was also use of MP testing (magnetic particle, Magneflux) by that time. I have not seen the barrel proof cartridge of this era, but it would have to be short; you couldn't have .050" of the base of the standard pressure test cartridge hanging out in space. Not recommended procedure.

I wonder if Ray Maketa would have examples of these cartridges ... ?

Resp'y,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM

wonder how one would, proof fire a short chambered barrel? a special roughed out shorter 30-06?
visual proof, and proof fire arent the same thing.
Winchester went as far as marking new barrels VP..so that it would be noted..
Visable Proof.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to MajWatz

Wow, a short .30-06 cartridge? How short? How much shorter? How not so short? I'm sure short chambered barrels must have had variances between their shortness just as variances existed for barrels once installed and reamed to correct headspace.

This is all to confusing. If all that's been said so far is true, I don't see how any arsenal or manufacturer got the production numbers that they did during the war years. LOL
Senior Member (1572) of old CMP forum since 31 JUL 2006
M1CC - Member No: 239
GCA - Member No: 12919

NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, ROA Life Member, AUSA Life Member, MOAA Life Member, American Legion
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/Range Safety Officer
Texas CHL/LTC
Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajWatz View Post
Has prick mark on ordnance bomb. Typical marking after proof firing a complete rifle. Not a new unused barrel but a take-off from a receiver.
Not necessarily so.
I have had several new in the wrap barrels that have had the prick mark.
And, after processing 100 drill rifles, this barrel has none of the drill indicators.
However, if the rifling seems to have some inconsistancy in the middle of the pipe, I could have been bent 30 and then straightened.
I haven't seen one like that, but a friend who has a barn full of 03's told me about barrels being demilled this way and then straightened by some arms house.

Regards, Ray

Last edited by Ray Brandes; 08-29-2012 at 04:57 AM.