Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM
.22shooter .22shooter is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 2,216
Default 03a3 questions

Well guys, I'm really interested in having an 03a3. Make sense to me since I already an '06 rifle.

At the moment, I'm considering my options and the first is build or buy? Which is cheaper?

Buy option: I found an A3 for 700 bucks locally.
Build option: Found a complete action (sights, bolt etc) for 295 (on a sporter rifle) Will need a barrel + gunsmith installation, stock set + stock metal

I'm just looking for a good shooter, I don't really want a piece of history. Input and advice is appreciated as I know pretty much nothing about 03a3s.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Allen Humphrey Allen Humphrey is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dry side of Washington
Posts: 451
Default

build cost in round numbers
barrel $200 including shipping
stock $200 including shipping
hardware probably not on sporter $100
Smith time ?? $150

Ending value of converting a sporter (presuming it has been drilled and tapped) still only $500.

Fun and education of building one yourself....name your price.

Last edited by Allen Humphrey; 08-23-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Topkick Topkick is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 1,579
Default

An 03 for $700 is a good deal. I've got both an 03 and a sporterized version. It's much more rewarding to shoot the original
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 PM
jpuisis jpuisis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Calaveras Co.,CA
Posts: 65
Default

I picked up a sporterized 03a3 from a friend of mine a while back for $ 160.00. I bought a CMP C stock for $164.95. I got a complete 03a3 Band & Hardware set for $49.95 from Sarco. I put a $19.95 repro WWII sling on it. This is one really nice looking rifle,wish I had a camera to show you,and it cost less than$400.00.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 AM
.22shooter .22shooter is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 2,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuisis View Post
I picked up a sporterized 03a3 from a friend of mine a while back for $ 160.00. I bought a CMP C stock for $164.95. I got a complete 03a3 Band & Hardware set for $49.95 from Sarco. I put a $19.95 repro WWII sling on it. This is one really nice looking rifle,wish I had a camera to show you,and it cost less than$400.00.
was the barrel unmodified?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2012, 11:29 AM
jpuisis jpuisis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Calaveras Co.,CA
Posts: 65
Default

It has the original 4 - 43 dated barrel. When I place an M2 cartridge in the muzzle there is a full 3/16" sticking out, I think that is about a 1 on a ME guage? My friends father bought this rifle in about 1960 for $24.00. He then cut the stock,put on a rubber butt pad,opened the top of the peep sight to make a V sight, threw away all unneeded hardware and used it for deer hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Quicksilver Quicksilver is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NW Georgia
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuisis View Post
It has the original 4 - 43 dated barrel. When I place an M2 cartridge in the muzzle there is a full 3/16" sticking out, I think that is about a 1 on a ME guage? My friends father bought this rifle in about 1960 for $24.00. He then cut the stock,put on a rubber butt pad,opened the top of the peep sight to make a V sight, threw away all unneeded hardware and used it for deer hunting.
Hmmmmm...if you could only buy these for $24 today.....

"SNAP".....

Back to reality....

~QS~
__________________
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM
aj98 aj98 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE VA
Posts: 2,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Humphrey View Post
build cost in round numbers
barrel $200 including shipping
stock $200 including shipping
hardware probably not on sporter $100
Smith time ?? $150

Ending value of converting a sporter (presuming it has been drilled and tapped) still only $500.

Fun and education of building one yourself....name your price.
Depends on if want to are building to correct, or building to shoot.
Where a shooter is cheaper to build than a correct.
Add a couple hundred more to build to correct for the receiver.

Deals on stock and bbl can be found if you are patient.

It's taken me 9 months to collect all the parts for a mixmaster build from scratch.

CMP 03 reciever (SA) = 75
bolt and guts = 50
trig housing & screws = 55
trigger/sear/springs/pins= 20
bayo lug = 20
ft sight = 10
A1 rear sight and mount = 75

Last Dec, I picked up a nice early S-C stock with FJA stamp and metal for right at 100.

In the last 2 weeks, I found a mw=2 SA 7-42 bbl for 110 shipped.

(The few 1918 barrels I found in good condition were 250+...
CMPs 189 Criterions were the fallback breakpoint price.)

total parts cost = 515 for a mixmaster.

I know it's going to cost me 100-125 to get the barrel installed.
630ish.

Given an A3 sight is less than an A1 sight, if you convert the sporter, for 295, you already have the receiver, bolt, housing, trigger group.

With a bit of time and patience, you may be able to stay under 500 to convert. Then add gunsmith to swap the barrel/verify headspace, at least another 120....now you are at 620

OTOH, last several gun shows here, VGC RA A3's have been as low as 550 to as high as just under 1k, average 700.


So while the actual cost of buying vs building (or rebuilding) is similar, but easier on the wallet for not having to put out the cost all at once.

But as stated, experience of the build is priceless
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 PM
dprice3844444 dprice3844444 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se florida 01/sot
Posts: 5,588
Default

aimsurplus.com has some nice refurbished ones
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.