Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2018, 09:04 PM

Default New from Utah

Just got a Service model this week which greatly adds to my bucket list. The receiver date is October 1943 which puts it about mid way in WWII. I lost my dad in the ETO and I never got to know him. My stepfather, a super extraordinary guy, was in Naval Air flying off carriers, participated in the Philippine battle and also Iwo Jima. He was in Torpedo bombers and I asked what he was doing over Iwo. Quick answer was, "Strafing". Pretty much all I ever got out of him. My uncle enlisted at 17, ending up with Patton. I told him I was getting a Garand and he was pleased to hear that. He told me that the first battle he was in and the first time he fired it in anger, it jammed. I asked how he fixed it and he said that he threw it away and picked up one from the ground. Said there was lots of them around. Finished the conversation saying those were bad times. He is still with us.
Before owning a Garand, I have been active shooting black powder and just recently acquired a "Quigley Down Under", 45-70. My first excursion into cartridges.
I am grateful for all the inputs posted on this forum. I took the rifle apart, paying attention to what I have read and, fortunately, had a new op spring ready. The installed one had broken on the one end. Other than that and being somewhat dirty, I am pleased with it. Some of the wood/metal fit needs work but that will come later.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:25 PM

Glad you got your first M1 Garand, every one should have at least one. Some day CMP will be sold out....
Old 04-16-2018, 03:41 PM

Yes, that's how I felt when they were going for $50. Then $200 and upward. Thought there would be enough to go around for a while.
I have always wanted one since I was 12. Earlier, in my teens, went to a great gun store, Pony Express, and wandered around looking at some great imports. Garands, Carbines, 1911's and other great surplus items. Wish I had a time machine to go back there!
Feel like a kid again, taking it apart, cleaning and reassembling it. Not too great on mechanical ability but this is a great rifle for us mechanically disadvantaged. Will now work on adjusting the sights. Ammo coming in on Wednesday and it's off to the range. Really wanted S&P ammo but looks to be out the places I checked. Trying the Balkan stuff and hope it works out well. Will buy a quantity next time to amortize the shipping cost.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:10 PM

Lots of ammo for sale on the Parts For Sale or Trade forum click on ammo. new stuff shows up every day...
Old 04-17-2018, 02:53 PM

Now that's good to know. Will check that out right now.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 02:54 PM

Now that's good to know. Will check that out right now.
Thanks