Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Non FMJ ammo for Garand

Closest gun range to me does not allow FMJ on the rifle range. So what ammo can anyone recommend me that's not FMJ that's Garand friendly? Assume I do not have a fancy gas plug.

I tried this question on Reddit and got no help. I do not need posts telling me I am misunderstanding the ranges rules. It's on their website, people have complained about it on yelp, I called the range and point blank asked them. They don't allow FMJ on the rifle range. I don't need to be told to use a magnet, that doesn't answer my question. I don't need recommendations for ranges four hours away. I don't mean to sound rude here, but Reddit only gave me those responses, and it's not helpful.

If the answer is that I have to get a gas plug, then maybe that's what I have to do. I kinda wanted to get it sighted in with the s&b ammo I bought from the cmp before I started working with adjusting a gas plug. I just didn't want to adjust both at the same time.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Honestly I think you might have to get a gas plug; Schusters and Garand Gear make them.

That or if you reload, start reloading.

What type of range is this? Indoor? Outdoor? Do the people there think FMJ = AP?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:42 AM

Did the range say what type they do allow? Maybe you could use PPU 150gr SP ammo.

One local range allows rifle (.223, .308, 7.62x39) but only with frangible ammo. Another range allows up to .308 caliber rifle FMJ, etc as long as it is not steel case or magnetic jacket.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 AM

This is three different ranges nearby me. They are all outdoor, I havenít found a local indoor rifle range. They all ban FMJ. Thereís a private range I can go to with a friend, but itís a very long wait list for membership, so itís not an option that I can just go to anytime.

I saw several manufacturers making sp 150 grain. I was just not absolutely sure if that was good for the Garand. I may just go to the private range with my friend and get it sighted in good there, and buy the gas plug and get some other Ammo later. But I want to shoot what Iíve got for right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 10:28 AM

I ran lots of Remington and Federal 150-165gr PSP 30-06 thru my Garands back before I could readily find GI ammo. This was back when a 20rd box was $4.99-5.99 during pre-deer season sales.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 AM

Someone on Reddit recommended the s&b 150 spce. (I finally got a useful comment there). GarandGear says that it has a lower pressure than m2 ball. I may take a look at the other brands as well.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:51 AM

You are wise to ask about available soft point ammo for the M-1Garand. I had gotten some PPU 150 grain PSP and found out that the MV was a bit over 2900 fps. I then checked around on the gas plugs available:

The Garand Gear is a non-adjustable one that works just fine. Creedmoor sells Schuster gas plugs, both the adjustable and non-adjustable kind. Both work just fine, but you have to manually tune the adjustable gas plug to the specific ammunition you are using in your rifle. You just put the non-adjustable kind in and start shooting.

I kind of like the non-adjustable kind as it is the easiest to use with a variety of ammunition. The Schuster non-adjustable plug will allow the use of a M5A1 bayonet, the Garand Gear plug will not.

These plugs are not overly expensive, they come up on sale from time to time, but you will hear all sorts of folks say they are not necessary. It is your rifle, not theirs. If having one gives you peace of mind, then you won't be disappointed in buying it.

Last edited by GM1MAN; 02-11-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 PM

Here's a good read with port pressure tests with many commerically available ammo. I'd recommend a plug just to be on the safe side or maybe getting into reloading but this should be what you are looking for.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 01:42 PM

Honestly, your best bet is reloading or a gas plug. Lot's of people recommend 150 grain core-lokts' and one place has the pressure data for it compared to LC and other brands. However, that was for one specific lot. No guarantee that all lots will be within M2 pressure curve. If every lot was safe for the M1's gas system I'd think Remington would want to advertise it on the box somewhere. If every lot is M1 safe, then they are a fool for not advertising it.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:09 PM

I very likely will end up with a gas plug, I'm leaning towards the Schuster. The GarandGear seems to just give you a little more wiggle room, the shutter lets you just run whatever. And I like putting the bayonet on it at times. So I'll shoot my FMJ at the private range when I can go there, and buy some other stuff for the others.