Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
If I understand your rifle configuration correctly, what makes your rifle incompatible with the Games Rules (specifically for the Modern Military Matches) is the free float handguard and probably the weight. It isn't the UBR stock.
I am guessing there are multiple things that make it unacceptable for the Games rules and you are correct on both accounts....weight, optics, stock, etc.

The people who objected to my stock weren't Games rules people, they were high power people.

One thing I just noticed in the rules was that the sling could be synthetic. I assumed it needed to be like the original, i.e. leather or cotton. Wish I had photographic memory so I could memorize all the rules

Thanks!
NM Concealed Carry Instructor
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncarbine View Post
I

One thing I just noticed in the rules was that the sling could be synthetic. I assumed it needed to be like the original, i.e. leather or cotton. Wish I had photographic memory so I could memorize all the rules

Thanks!
M1 webs slings have been made in three different material configurations. The first was made of cotton - this is the most common configuration. The second was made of a smooth texture nylon (not unlike a car seat belt) - it was made during the VN war and meant to resist rot and mildew in a wet environment. The third was a coarser texture nylon not unlike the cotton slings - it was specifically acquired by the USMC in the recent past. Both the cotton and coarse texture nylon are good for competition. The smooth texture nylon slings are pretty useless for competition since they are too slippery.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
M1 webs slings have been made in three different material configurations. The first was made of cotton - this is the most common configuration. The second was made of a smooth texture nylon (not unlike a car seat belt) - it was made during the VN war and meant to resist rot and mildew in a wet environment. The third was a coarser texture nylon not unlike the cotton slings - it was specifically acquired by the USMC in the recent past. Both the cotton and coarse texture nylon are good for competition. The smooth texture nylon slings are pretty useless for competition since they are too slippery.
You are a wealth of information!

When I earlier incorrectly said wimpy, I was referring to slings similar to a seatbelt. My way of saying slippery which i should have said instead of wimpy. I have an AK sling which is a coarser material. Maybe like what you are talking about.

Since I have the 1907 sling, maybe I will try it for now, and if it lives up to your doomsday forecast, maybe I will try and locate the "better" M1 version.
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-12-2018, 10:37 PM

CMP and Creedmoor sell good M1 slings.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
CMP and Creedmoor sell good M1 slings.
Is the CMP M1 sling the same as the one that came with my Garand from CMP? It seems the same as the original M1 I bought other than the color.
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-19-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Half of the problem is the places hosting the matches. They don't post enough detail to know. The closest club to me had a match they called the "CMP/1000". That was it...in their calendar and list of events, that was all it said. I talked to them, it was a GSM match shot on the 1000yd field. You would have to be an "insider" to know they weren't shooting a 1000 yd event nor would you have a clue about whether it was a "games" or not. Even the guy who answered the phone didn't know what the match was about and had to check with someone and call back.
Find your state rifle and pistol association website and call the highpower director and tell him what you want to do. He will guide you to the right place. Also, quit buying stuff. There will be a lot of used and loaner gear available from the crew. It will take you a year to figure out exactly what you want, and there is no substitute for seeing gear in person. Modern competition gear is not collectable and does not appreciate in value.

It has always been difficult to get detailed information about any highpower match, so, that's the norm. Most of highpower is organized by volunteers. Also, folks don't use the proper names for things. (For example, there's a conventional prone smallbore match at a club nearby where everybody shoots 17HMRs from a bench !?) So, call and email. It's the same everywhere.

CMP and NRA across the course are the same pot. Generally, these folks don't mix with the games folks for whatever reason. One group is interested in shooting modern equipment full distance. The other is more interested in casual competition and gun collecting. These definitions come from my experience and are not meant to offend.

Highpower is the best. You're gonna love it.

Last edited by WindLogik; 02-19-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 AM

Thanks so much for all the great ideas...

1. The closest thing we have to a statewide organization is the NRA-sanctioned organization that hands out the money from the NRA to hire the lobbyists. The president is a friend of mine and in fact was at my place last week for a FFL transfer. Their website lists the president of the club 3 hours away that I have been in contact with and other than his invitation to their events, he doesn't have information on my area. I created my own website to provide information about clubs, ranges, events, politics, etc. My website is the closest thing to a consolidation of information for what is happening in the state.

I should quit buying things but I couldn't stop. I was told the club has a loaner scope. If I remember to ask them to bring it and if they remember to bring it, and if I remember who it was that offered. My scope arrived today, the same one most of them had. I haven't ordered a stand as I thought my photo stuff would suffice, but that might not be the case, but now that I have a scope, I need a stand. I haven't gotten a jacket or glove yet and will fake it for now.

I started buying reloading stuff, and have most of what I need, but I am holding off on bullets, primers, and powder until I have more brass and know what loads I want.

My rifle itself was bought at wholesale so at least for awhile, I should be able to recover the cost.

Finally some local club news today, the club closest to me with their own range. For a month I have been waiting to find out what they offer. When their attorney was here the other day, he texted their pres asking why I hadn't been called back. She told him the guy is out of the country...huh...I wait a month only to hear that guy is unavailable??? No one else knows what they do out there? I am not ready to pay $220 to join and not know what they are doing.

The other club on the other end of town hasn't replied to mails or phone calls..they don't even want new members.

Anyway, I am having fun spending money I shouldn't and anxious for the next match where I can dip my toes in.

Really love all the help and suggestions I have gotten here....

Just think what I could buy if my brother buys my "new" CMP Garand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
Find your state rifle and pistol association website and call the highpower director and tell him what you want to do. He will guide you to the right place. Also, quit buying stuff. There will be a lot of used and loaner gear available from the crew. It will take you a year to figure out exactly what you want, and there is no substitute for seeing gear in person. Modern competition gear is not collectable and does not appreciate in value.

It has always been difficult to get detailed information about any highpower match, so, that's the norm. Most of highpower is organized by volunteers. Also, folks don't use the proper names for things. (For example, there's a conventional prone smallbore match at a club nearby where everybody shoots 17HMRs from a bench !?) So, call and email. It's the same everywhere.

CMP and NRA across the course are the same pot. Generally, these folks don't mix with the games folks for whatever reason. One group is interested in shooting modern equipment full distance. The other is more interested in casual competition and gun collecting. These definitions come from my experience and are not meant to offend.

Highpower is the best. You're gonna love it.
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-20-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:

The closest thing we have to a statewide organization is the...
Not sure if this is what you are thinking of:

http://www.nmssa.org/contacts.htm

But there is a listing on the NMSSA site for a highpower director. Most of the state rifle and pistol organizations are affiliated with the NRA and the CMP. The political angle is coupled with the match sanctioning angle. Anyway, maybe give the highpower guy listed a call and see what he has to say.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
Not sure if this is what you are thinking of:

http://www.nmssa.org/contacts.htm

But there is a listing on the NMSSA site for a highpower director. Most of the state rifle and pistol organizations are affiliated with the NRA and the CMP. The political angle is coupled with the match sanctioning angle. Anyway, maybe give the highpower guy listed a call and see what he has to say.
Yessir...that is the site for our NRA-Sanctioned club that I am a member of and the person I mentioned, Bill Rodolph, who is the president of Capitan Hi Power SC

I have been in contact with him and he invited me to shoot and compete there. However it is 3 hours away and would require spending the night and there is only one filled motel nearby. For practical purposes, you have to camp out there, be a lucky one to get in the motel, or drive from the next closest motel an hour or so away. It is a remote location.

Bill knows what they do but don't think he is on top of the options in my area.

Thanks
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
However it is 3 hours away and would require spending the night and there is only one filled motel nearby.
This is pretty normal for a lot of HP shooters. It would be good for you to find a nearby 100 yard line so that you can practice on reduced targets. Then, go the the matches when they occur. You may talk to the match director at Capitan. Often, ranges will let you camp at them. My "range camping" is very simple. I sleep on a cot and bring power bars for breakfast. Most matches should finish early enough for you to be able to drive home that evening.

Does the NRA range in Raton (Whittington Center) have regular across the course? I know they have spectacular LR matches there...