Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Anniston rebuilt M1Ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1918BAR View Post
While cleaning my SA M1D I acquired Saturday I noticed a faint etching on the receiver leg. It is either "BA4 11-67" or "BA9 11-67". I seem to remember reading somewhere that BA4 was Anniston Army Depot. Appreciate any information you may have. Thanks.
The etching on your leg would be BA4 11-67. It seems Anniston must have had a fairly short duration M1D rebuild program during that period (Nov-Dec 1967). The first I have seen of these did not start showing until mid last year and I have not seen more than a dozen examples, though I am sure many more exist.
Keep in mind that Tooele had a contract to build new M1Ds starting in 1968-69.
The etch on the leg is a good thing in my opinion. It shows that it was in the US in 1967 and would have been built and then rebuilt as a definite USGI M1D.
With an unmarked M1D it is hard sometimes to tell just who actually made the rifle without confirming paperwork to go with it.
There has been at least one M1D etched from Anniston in 1965, as well, so you never know what the next rifle will tell about rebuild dates.

I would love to get photos of your M1D for my files.

Rob
Old 02-12-2018, 09:33 PM

Any chance it is a Benicia Arsenal rebuild?
Old 02-12-2018, 09:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
Not if dated 1967. The Benicia Arsenal was deactivated in 1963, and the facility was closed in 1964.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
There is nothing that indicates a rifle is a Turkish return, but indicators are zero tag in housing, stenciled unit numbering on stock and a little more finish lost than normally seen. Good luck on your store visit Friday, might see you there.
Thought I read somewhere on here that the Turkish rifles seem to be sporting a very yellow stock?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
My data collected show so far that Anniston used an A4 etch from 7-64 till 7-65 and then started using a BA4 from 7-65 till 9-66 on regular M1 Garands.
The M1Ds that are turning up mostly have dates in late 67, though I have seen one from 5-65.

All this just leads to more questions for me:
- Did Anniston rebuild M1Ds regularly thru the M1 rebuild program or were they done separately? The one done in 65 is earlier than any regular M1 I have documented and the ones done in 67 are later than any M1 I have documented.
- Will regular M1s turn up in the same time period as the MiDs?

Rob
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Default Rack Grades

What is the current pricing on SA rack grades?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:18 AM

Default SA RG price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
What is the current pricing on SA rack grades?
SA RGs are 560.00
Old 02-15-2018, 05:28 AM

Default Saturday Examples

I was there Saturday and grabbed the one M1D combo that was not a six digit. I did not find any arsenal markings, but the wood condition and metal finish would suggest that the rifle had not been issued since a rebuild. It did have the best barrel readings of the three at ME1 TE2. I have not yet taken off the cheek pad to see if it could be hiding something. 2.698M serial, 52 SA barrel, 10K serial on the scope.

The hackberry wood was actually on the SA rack grades. I also grabbed one of these which was a five digit that was overall rather nice for a RG non withstanding the wood.

Thanks to Tom for helping me look things over, and for the reports as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
There were 10 customers at opening and the racks weren’t full, there were 65 rifles of the possible 75.

M1D Combo, 3, sold ASAP, one with a really nice SA GAW cartouche, two were six digit. I checked two and there were no arsenal markings. May be restocked during the day.

WRA FG, 7, no WP barrels or cartouches. Some stocks had Turkish unit markings on the stocks.

SA RG, 2

IHC FG, 13, some had new CMP hackberry stocks, nice wood.

Other rifles remain about the same.

Good luck on your searches.

Last edited by blamblamping; 02-15-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 AM

I had an unexpected trip to Mississippi this past Saturday and since I was driving by the CMP on 20 I swung by for a 10 minute pass around 1230. They had a ton of students there for what looked like a JROTC air rifle competition. They were very low on rifles, but I was hoping to find maybe a nice 03A3 drill rifle with some nice wood. All they had were about 5 03 drills with post WWI stocks. They were beat up real bad which is understandable since they all had a property of JROTC High School program stickers on them, which I thought was pretty neat. I was hoping to see Mike or some of the other works I recognize but I didn't see any of them. Boy are those prices high on the IHC, WRA, and M1Ds.