Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2018, 02:26 PM

I built a few rifles on Chinese receivers with no troubles at all. When LRB started their receivers I switched over to theirs for 7 rifles. Then Bula started up and I think I am up to about 20 of theirs now and counting. Waiting on 2 Bula barreled receivers in 6.5 Creedmoor.
I think the production issues that have been talked about James River are way over hyped, mostly by a few characters that have a bone to pick, or professional jealousy perhaps.
At any rate, James River Armory and Bula Defense Systems seem to have a handle on the problem and are making any necessary corrections. Nice to have an American supplier of American made parts.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 PM

The Norinco and Poly M14 knock offs were a cheap alternative back in the day but that's quite a while ago.
There are a LOT more quality domestic receivers , bolts and parts available today than the prior time frame.

Most of my spare parts ended up being built into rifles, picked up spare parts for them and they turned into rifles, repeat.

Its funny now but I remember (back then) thinking $100 for three USGI bolts new in the foil paper was steep.
When USGI parts dried up and prices shot up I stopped trying to seek them out and went with quality commercial options.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:27 AM

Cal 50...quite right... Back a while ago you could find Quality kits but few receivers.... SGN when SGN was a great trade Paper ran ads for them all the time. Chinese rifles were Cheaper then the SAInc rifles, I bought 12 M1 Garand Kits around 1999 from the Italian Army... some were Type 2 ( 7.62) some std Garands...ALL were in VG+ cond ... 199.00 each...but few receiver back then akin to the M14.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:40 AM

The Chinese M14/S clones were a deal years ago - today, they're over-priced out-of-spec imports! Due to the popularity of the M14, and the demand for GI-spec parts, between Bula, Fulton, and the surplus out there there's more than enough 'good' stuff to go around.

Eli
Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliyahu View Post
The Chinese M14/S clones were a deal years ago - today, they're over-priced out-of-spec imports! Due to the popularity of the M14, and the demand for GI-spec parts, between Bula, Fulton, and the surplus out there there's more than enough 'good' stuff to go around.

Eli

I would just question the out of spec imports part of your post.
Having worked on a ton of these over the years, the out of spec just doesn't apply to the Chinese M14 receivers.
Over priced in some cases, yes.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 02-10-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
I would just question the out of spec imports part of your post.
Having worked on a ton of these over the years, the out of spec just doesn't apply to the Chinese M14 receivers.
Over priced in some cases, yes.

Semper Fi
Art
As I recall, there's some 'metric' parts that are unique to the Chi-Com guns. Not to mention the headspace issues...
ETA: I had one, it was one of my favorites - traded it towards a car when I needed reliable transportation and was unable to 'redeem' it from the guy I traded it to:

Eli

Last edited by Eliyahu; 02-10-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:05 AM

Like the period James Dean jacket and the vehicle. Ready for something.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 PM

Default old military trucks

I drove those trucks in the 60's, fun to run, but they needed a special fuel filter to protect the old ball and ball carburetors from water and trash. I also own one of the exceptional Poly-Tech m14s rifles with the side engraving. It was a very good shooter right out of the box. I will be replacing a few minor parts on the recoil assy. I plan to add a Bula m- rifle to my group for fun and protection. Keep up the comments as this {CMP} is one of the best entertainment and educational sites on the internet..IMHO...OG.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I drove those trucks in the 60's, fun to run, but they needed a special fuel filter to protect the old ball and ball carburetors from water and trash. I also own one of the exceptional Poly-Tech m14s rifles with the side engraving. It was a very good shooter right out of the box. I will be replacing a few minor parts on the recoil assy. I plan to add a Bula m- rifle to my group for fun and protection. Keep up the comments as this {CMP} is one of the best entertainment and educational sites on the internet..IMHO...OG.
About 10 miles off topic, but those were popular trucks at Summer Camp in 1967 and 68. Took this photo in 67.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 02-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Default 5 miles from summer camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
About 10 miles off topic, but those were popular trucks at Summer Camp in 1967 and 68. Took this photo in 67.

Semper Fi
Art
Ha, Thats about the year we were down in Georgia, summer camp, our ole Co was warrant officer and he knew where the local"steak house" joint was located just off camp property..We could not leave weapons in the trucks.." Just stack them Rifles in the corners, Boys" she said..We ate there, noted there might be some backroom action going on and left..Counted 8 back doors as we circled from behind the building. Ah, to be 20 again and survive.. GRIN...