Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 PM

Default Preparing for Perry.

Out of curiosity what type of mental and physical preparations do you make for Camp Perry? How many times have you been to the range this year? How many matches have you shot? Have you changed your rifle setup to the A4 rig with Optics? Are you shooting your Garand this year? How many rounds of ammo are you bringing?

I would love to hear some insight on you shooters who go and compete at Perry!

Last edited by 10thmountain; 07-13-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:55 PM

physically, i'm a cattle farmer so that's about all i'm motivated to do.

I don't really practice a mental side of shooting, other than the confidence I carry with me. it's not uncommon for me to shoot offhand while thinking about what i'm going to eat for lunch or wondering if my shooting jacket makes my butt look fat.

I converted to optics last year right before Perry.

I lost count of the amount of times I've been to the range.

probably 20 or so matches, reduced and full course.

i'm bringing enough ammo to shoot the Oliver hazard, P100, p100 shootoff, NTI and NTT as well as Hearst plus a few extra.

not shooting my Garand.

honestly, I don't really change anything or try to prepare for Perry other than remembering to pack pants and clean underwear. I treat Perry as just another match with cooler trophies. it's obviously a bigger deal than that but you get my point. i'm there to have a good time, hang out with my old friends, meet new friends, ******** off a couple of haters and if I happen to bring home something sparkly in the process, its been a good week.

Last edited by martydabney; 07-14-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:27 PM

I really don't prepare much and it shows. There is little close to me so Perry is basically my shooting for the summer. I do games matches and the two SAFS, embarrass myself a bit but have fun and meet new people. This year, I did nearly 3 months of dry fire practice and my Pistol score at SAFS was my worst ever by over 50 points. Probably should shoot some of the EIC matches to add some leg meat for the contenders.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:13 AM

Out of curiosity what type of mental and physical preparations do you make for Camp Perry? Mentally ready to have a good time. I'm usually physically active but nothing specific for Perry.
How many times have you been to the range this year? A bunch
How many matches have you shot? 5
Have you changed your rifle setup to the A4 rig with Optics? Optics last winter
Are you shooting your Garand this year? All of the Games matches
How many rounds of ammo are you bringing? About 150 for the Trophy matches. about 20% extra for the Games matches. There does exist the possibility of a range alibi
Old 07-14-2017, 10:15 AM

Out of curiosity what type of mental and physical preparations do you make for Camp Perry?

This is a big topic and differs for each person. Having confidence in your abilities is the biggest for me. Knowing that I am capable of shooting a perfect score and focus only on making good shots in the center. There is no room for negativity and if you are not confident then you have not trained enough to know you can execute without too much trouble. Negative thoughts and fear of failure lead to failure.

How many times have you been to the range this year?

I have fired about 700 rounds in sitting and standing practice in the past month and about 1500 in matches since April and countless times on the SCATT and the CMP air rifle range

How many matches have you shot?

11 or 12 full course since April

Have you changed your rifle setup to the A4 rig with Optics?

I shot optics all of 2016, all winter and all of 2017 thus far

Are you shooting your Garand this year?

Yeah I will fire the garand match. It is a fun match with a friend then I will fire the M1A match. Hope I have enough M1 ammo loaded....

How many rounds of ammo are you bringing?

Enough for a squadded practice post SAFS, P100, P100 shoot off, NTI, Hearst, NTT and practice on Petrarca + 20ish%.

I would love to hear some insight on you shooters who go and compete at Perry!
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 PM

Fantastic stuff! keep it coming. Lots of Comp shooters on this forum.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 PM

OK.. I have been to the range 30 times + this year.. competed in 4 NRA matches and 2 CMP..

Shooting in the the modern mill match this year with a M4 style with a 4X optic.

Shooting in the Garand match as well as the Springfield match.. I bring enough ammo to shoot each course twice, plus 10 rounds extra each caliber.

As far as mental prep, I practice like I will shoot in a real match... No extra shots..
I know this may sound stupid but this is my Xmas time.. I save and get ready for this each year as if it was my last... I had and heart attack 2 years ago about 4 weeks before the national rifle matches it took my poor wife all she had to keep me from flipping out because I could not go... lol

Last edited by Digital_Chaos; 07-14-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:11 AM

Digital chaos I hope you do very well this year!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 PM

How's it going for all you guys?
Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 AM

ive seen better days but not a complete train wreck