Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2017, 01:59 AM

The only thing I have left to do (besides win high Civ or overall ) is earn the P100 tab.

The monthly walk-and-paste is my practice, aside from dry firing at home. Next year, I want to get at least 2 full distance matches worth of zeroes and wind practice before Perry.

I don't have a special ritual. Anything can happen in SR, but usually a change just for Perry is a change for the worse.

I'll still use "grandpa's A2" with 0.5 MOA sights. No Garand - a gold medal isn't worth the fat lip. Hopefully an '03.

My coat and mat need new rubber after 5+ years. That shall be done in the winter.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 07-30-2017, 01:23 PM

And here I thought I was the only one getting beat up by my Garand.

I've never been hit in the face as many times by anyone as that thing has.....
Old 07-30-2017, 08:03 PM

You're not doing it right
Old 08-09-2017, 11:52 AM

I try to treat EVERY match the same. Stay focused but not get the jitters. This year in the Presidents 100 I got distracted and cranked in the windage…THE WRONG WAY! I started out with a 98 in offhand. Moving to 300 rapid I made a wind call of 1.5 minutes. I adjusted my windage the wrong way. I had an x-ring size group out the side. Had I not done that I would have cleaned that target, along with my 600yd score, I would have placed 4th place getting me into the shoot off. Doing knucklehead stuff like that is pretty unforgiving. I tend to be more concerned about hydration when at Perry. You will push/pull your gear a LONG way, especially if you shoot the HP matches. Bumping up your physical conditioning wouldn’t be a bad idea. I always EXPECT rain and mosquitos at Perry. Pretty sure the Wx this year was the best since I have been going to Perry. No worries with either for me this trip.

How many times have you been to the range this year?

between going to Talladega and the home range there is no telling.

How many matches have you shot?

10+

Have you changed your rifle setup to the A4 rig with Optics?

I will be 59 next week. I went to optics about 2 years ago. Before I legged out I was stuck at 24 points with irons. After being 1st Leather for 4 matches i went to optics. I switched over to optics and scores went up. That proves to me that I was holding hard but my eyes were the weak link. Legged out at Talladega 600 last year.

Are you shooting your Garand this year?

Due to a scheduling SNAFU on my part I didn’t shoot any wood guns at Perry this year.

How many rounds of ammo are you bringing?

I know which matches I am shooting before I leave home. Literally, I figure up what I need ammo wise….and the double it. Yep I show up with 2x the ammo I need. One year I let a bud borrow a rifle because his took a dump. I had enough ammo for him to shoot. Alibi reshoots mean a little extra ammo too.

Only other thing I can think to say is if Marty Dabney gives advise….TAKE IT. He is the Real Deal.

Keith Schachle
Old 08-24-2017, 08:49 AM

How many Matches can you shoot your Garand at Perry every year? I know you wont be super competitive but was wondering if anyone just brings a Garand. We all know the saying....Not the Arrow....
Old 08-24-2017, 11:44 AM

By my count, including the CMP Cup days, there are 9 matches at Perry that could be shot with a Garand.

More if you want to shoot CMP Long Range next year.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:58 PM

So pretty much any of the HP matches?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thmountain View Post
So pretty much any of the HP matches?
M1 Garand is still considered a service rifle by CMP & NRA. So yes you can fire it in any of the national trophy and regular high power matches. You cannot shoot it with an optic though outside of vintage sniper. May want to put some time in shooting it @ 600 though to make sure it is up to the task if it is just a regular AI Garand (not a NM prepped gun).
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 08-24-2017, 08:10 PM

My as issued can hit 600. Was hitting it at the TMP a few weeks ago. Just amazing what these rifles can do.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:07 PM

I have been lifting weights since last July. it helps in off hand big time.