Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Thoughts on the 2017 Game Matches

Attended the 2017 Game Matches Friday through Monday. Have been at the Nationals since the 80's and these were some of the best organized and run events.
It is evident the CMP is training people to provide consistent and predictable performance.
One suggestion; it would be helpful if there were sign boards that could advise competitors of the match status especially when delays occur. I'm thinking one at the entrances to the two main ranges and possibly one on each CRO tower. The status signs could just be a small devices that streams letter messages. With today's technology, sending a remote message to be displayed in real time should be simple.
I heard some people received e-mails concerning schedule status, but I don't carry a phone and my tablet (in the car) didn't get one.
Regardless, the Matches were extremely well run and all the range personnel I interacted with were exceedingly helpful.
Great job by the CMP!.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:52 PM

I had my phone and got no notices of changes. They told me to go to the CMP web site and update my information.
The most reliable plan was go to building #3 and ask "now what?"
Old 07-27-2017, 07:24 PM

I would love to see a system somewhere that stated which relay was firing on each range. That would help out a lot. After the 3 hour storm delay during the Garand match on Saturday, I had no idea what time to report for squading for the PM match.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinson View Post
I would love to see a system somewhere that stated which relay was firing on each range. That would help out a lot. After the 3 hour storm delay during the Garand match on Saturday, I had no idea what time to report for squading for the PM match.
Do you mean an information monitor or display like in an airport?

Jess
Old 07-28-2017, 01:29 PM

Make it one of those "flapping" boards like they used to have in train stations. (Maybe they still do, it's been a while since I was in a train station.) Those were always so dramatic when they updated.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:24 PM

Best run Nationals I have been part of. Been attending since 2012. Kudos to Johnny Fisher, did an excellent job in the Viale pits,
Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 PM

I've been attending the National Matches off and on since the late 70's, and was amazed at how well the matches were run by the CMP this year!
I would like to know if anything can be done to the target carriers to make them easier to operate? I could run the old ones by myself, but the new ones are a job for 2 people!
I would also like to see the target marking and scoring procedure explained in detail for the new shooters to understand how to do it correctly. In Vintage Sniper we had 2 new shooters on our firing point that didn't know what to do, and there wasn't much that could be done wrong that they didn't manage to do. We didn't find out until after the match that they were scoring us using the shot spotters instead of the value markers, and really screwed us up. They also kept pulling the target down on the standby command instead of down, we spent a lot of time yelling at the range officer!
Old 10-04-2017, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

The shooters in the pits should NEVER let two new guys stay on one target. One of the adjacent targets should switch one guy with them so you have one new guy on each target with an experienced puller with each one to provide guidance.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 10-04-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
The shooters in the pits should NEVER let two new guys stay on one target. One of the adjacent targets should switch one guy with them so you have one new guy on each target with an experienced puller with each one to provide guidance.
Agreed, but maybe the pit officers should ask for a show of hands and ask new shooters to identify themselves and implement that switch, and make a quick operational explanation. Two or three minutes should be more than enough time. It's unusual for a pair of new shooters to squad together, I have had a new shooter as a teammate for the last 2 years, and they had someone to explain everything to them. Some people are not afraid to ask questions, and others are.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
Sounds good but during the Vintage Sniper Rifle Team Match, there is only one shooter in the pits at a time. It's hard to team up pullers when there is only one of them per target. The CMP offers clinics for new shooters. Perhaps more should take advantage of them.