Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Thoughts on the AL State Championships at Talladega

I attended the Alabama State Service Rifle Match and Pistol EIC matches over the weekend. The weather was great and there was little to no wind all day Saturday (~1 min at 600). Here are a few thoughts I'd like to share with everyone about the events. Please feel free to add your own thoughts as well.

1. The facilities are all very nice and well kept, and the firing line
was clean and well defined.
2. The range officer over the match portion of the range and the match
director were both knowledgeable and friendly, and willing to work with the shooters when needed.
3. The target system failed for the third year in a row. I witnessed
multiple skilled shooters have unexplained "0.0"s register on their targets
at random and on different yard lines.
4. The CMP managing line staff were again quick to blame the shooter,
but this year I found it worse than previous years. They also strongly
opposed
any request to pull the cardboards due to it messing up the flow of the match.
5. The RO and match director defended the shooters as much as possible
and pulled the cardboard anyway. As far as I could see, ALL of the "0"s
were Target System ERRORS except for only 1.
6. The pistol matches were poorly administered by the target system booth. They did not know the proper commands AND did not know how to operate the target software. This led to a 30 shot match taking over ONE
HOUR to complete!
At one point, we had to wait 10-20 minutes for them to switch to the next stage in the computer.

This is the third time I have shot at the Talladega range, and I was
fortunate to not have any issues with the targets, this time (had two
targets fail last month while practicing). However, after seeing all the
same problems happen again, and the CMP management trying to deny their own protocol of pulling the cardboard in the name of match expediency, I do not know if I will attend another match at the Talladega range until both the targets and the attitudes of the management are fixed.

Last edited by scssa_ar; 09-19-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:12 AM

I was an early supporter of the electornic targets. Shot the first Match at TMP and loved them.

I lost my faith this year in June when due to missmangment they failed at the first etarget EIC at Perry. CMP now seems to have written that off as a "club match" and keep posting stories about how great the etargets worked for the "first kts EiC at Perry" which was really the second one. But I digress...

Anyway they've had 3 years to make this right. It's officially a disaster at this point. The hardware is clearly flawed and its poor management only makes it worse. This drama is turning people off from CMP and the sport. I once was a CMP "evangist" ... now, I'm just disappointed.

Meanwhile, as you may know CMP has now declared that only CMP ROs can make the decision on if the cardboard gets checked or not.

Just a few months back I would have thought this was crazy talk but now it sounds to me like CMP is actively trying to cover up KTS failures.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Default Oct Matches

OH NO.....what will I have to look forward to at the Oct Matches! Boo....and I will have driven from Virginia to see this happen...........BOOOO
Old 09-19-2017, 06:53 PM

i was moved to three different targets during the match. the last worked after a reboot and only in practice mode then. not once was i told the target(s) were to blame. yes, i shot a miss (called). wondering about the shots that i broke center that didn't even register??? i wasn't the only one. i almost packed up and quit after 30+ shots offhand. i know i had issues with my shooting being this was my first go with optics..i can admit my failures...
Old 09-19-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchshooter View Post
i was moved to three different targets during the match. the last worked after a reboot and only in practice mode then. not once was i told the target(s) were to blame. yes, i shot a miss (called). wondering about the shots that i broke center that didn't even register??? i wasn't the only one. i almost packed up and quit after 30+ shots offhand. i know i had issues with my shooting being this was my first go with optics..i can admit my failures...
Who knew that a EIC match was 200, 300 and 600 plus a lateral move 3 times to the left....with as many as 60 to 80 rounds fired
Old 09-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchshooter View Post
I would have quit...that on top of the triangulation 1/4" margin of error being discussed for shot placement would be too much to endure for "fun".
Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 AM

1/4 margin of error is not ok for EIC. That puts points earned or not earned into question
Old 09-20-2017, 12:50 PM

I shot the June fiasco at Perry as well. E targets were nice, till we moved to 300 yard line. Not having to go to the pits is very enticing to me.....but...

Only if the target fiasco gets fixed.

This 1/4 margin of error is concerning.

Sell all the E targets....and CMP hires paid pullers with the proceeds! Professional pit pullers, I would gladly pay $7.39 extra on my match fees to fund that.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:14 PM

at this point they should be looking at replacing the KTS targets with something else maybe HEX i've shot on those and they seem more robust.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:24 PM

HEX targets were very pleasurable to shoot on. I will continue to attend matches, and seek out matches that are using that system.

Benefits over KTS?

I think they are more robust in design, won't break with a little man handling
I think they are very accurate
I like the 2 PDA principle. One for shooter, one for scorekeeper (on KTS shooter and verifier share a tablet)
LIVE posting of match results
targets are retained online, and one can get info from them later, or print as a data book page, can also get info like time interval between shots in rapid fire

Hexta targets are phenomenal. I'm skipping my state match this weekend, to shoot a match at Reade Range in PA on them.