Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 PM

the 1/4" margin of error is a concern...haven't heard that before now.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:08 AM

And there in lines the problem. They would rather fire the match director for "talking poorly of the targets" than address the issues.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scssa_ar View Post
And there in lines the problem. They would rather fire the match director for "talking poorly of the targets" than address the issues.

and giving the shooters the benefit of the doubt over the targets. then most of the challeges winning

I don't mean to tin hat. but it sounds a lot like CMP is trying to cover up KTS target failures.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:21 PM

Sounds like September turnout for the 100 shot match wasn't very good. How many showed up for the EIC match? Given our experience with the KTS targets, many will show up for the next match? Has CMP managed to sell a KTS system to a paying customer? In a competitive commercial sales environment, CMP would be "toast".
Old 09-25-2017, 05:32 AM
CMP Chief Operating Officer

You are all right, we continue to have issues at Talladega. When we encountered those problems we followed the CMP electronic target rules. We switched the operating system over to practice mode and had no further issues. We have found an issue with Pegasus our operating system and uplink to CMP Competition tracker. Until we resolve the Pegassus issue we will shoot all matches at Talladega just like we do at the Games Matches, no data uplink. We just finished a flawless set of matches in Vermont and we will operate Talladega in the same manner going forward. No argument we failed but we will keep pushing forward to succeed.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:44 AM

As for the sales of electronic targets, no one has sold more in the United States than CMP. We do not sell E targets for financial gain, we sell them for proliferation of the sport. We like to see all brands of electronic targets succeed. The haters hate and the rest of us in the sport push forward so there is a future for the sport.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 AM

Understand Mark, but even in a not-for-profit environment, all these efforts need to at least "sort of break even" long term. We are all vested in the long term survival and prosperity of CMP. Can't do that if you run out of money!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:19 AM

Mark I don't think anyone here is a Hater, just like you we want to see the sport grow.

Being part of repeated KTS disasters have frustrated many of us and doesn't help that goal.

Now, if it's the case or not, it appears from the outside as CMP trying to "cover up " KTS failures at TMP by declaring only CMP can decide if the backers can be pulled.

I want to trust the targets, just like I want to trust the guy in the pits knows how the lines work and my scorer knows what the indicators mean. In either case one cannot be trusted by ruling the targets are infallible, as you know trust is earned.

My point being a little more transparency, a back up, and giving the shooter the benefit of the doubt without penalizing them for asking would go a long way.

Blaming haters doesn't really help no service rifle shooter hates etargets, at least not people who have shot on them, on a day that they worked. We are on the same team.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for the response, and admitting that there was and is an issue. The trouble is all the actual shooters knew it was a problem 2 years ago! I'm glad the Vermont system worked, but you and I both know you are comparing apples to oranges. For those that don't know, the system at Talladega is different in its frame construction. The biggest problem I had with the whole thing was not that there was an issue, it was the way your staff handled it. Your CRO consistently argued that shooters should not be given refires and were to just accept the 0.0s. He was also vocal that the cardboards should not be pulled in order to expedite matches. Because of this, the match director and RO should be praised for standing up for the shooters. Instead, the RO was given a dressing down on the line (several of us witnessed it) by the CRO, and the match director was told he could no longer conduct matches at Talladega! He volunteered his time to coordinate, advertise, and run the state matches which would not have even taken place otherwise. I believe both of these men deserve an apology directly from the CMP. Furthermore, all competitors need to know that the CMP is fully aware of the issue and will work with them (pulling cardboards, giving refires) instead of trying to punish them for the failings of the system. I'm certain that all of us would rather take a little longer to run a match that force a shooter to accept an error that was not his.

This is the the issue Mr. Johnson.

Last edited by scssa_ar; 09-25-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:17 PM

The CMP is not running out of money? The CMP is successful beyond the standards set forth by its Board of Directors or I would not have my job as COO. We do not allow non-staff to go down range at Talladega, we pull the cardboard and bring it back for all to see. If that was not happening I will investigate why? We have nothing to hide and we never have. The electronic targets used at Talladega are the same as the ones used in Vermont, with the exception of the ones in Vermont were wireless and are not tied to the Pegasus operating system. It is my understanding that the CMP CRO and the match director for last match have a personality conflict. I will be glad to discuss with the Match Director, the majority of the problem has nothing to do with electronic targets. Please feel free to email me at mjohnson@thecmp.org. The RO is a CMP staff member who has prescribed procedures to follow. I am looking into whether or not the RO followed prescribed CMP rules found in our rule book and what exactly caused the conflict between CRO and RO. All range video is being pulled to be reviewed during the course of my investigation. I am not happy with this match at all! We had only 14 shooters, problems with 5 targets, disorganized event, whispers of CMP secrets, loss of confidence in KTS targets, etc.. etc... Things at Talladega will change.