Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2017, 02:15 PM

Not sure if any one mention this but if you have old eyes.. I would suggest the 03A3
Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Chaos View Post
Not sure if any one mention this but if you have old eyes.. I would suggest the 03A3
Exactly. I love the 1903, but alas, the front sight has become nothing but a hazy blur. If one is thinking about getting a 1903, I'd recommend at least trying out the sights at a range with an SR target.
For me, an 03-A3 with reduced diameter rear sight aperture is the only way I can see the front sight.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:26 AM

Either way you go you will find a pistol grip 'C' stock a vast improvement over a straight stock and more enjoyable to shoot. I shoot an 03 but had to buy repro Marine Corp sights because of eye issues.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertp View Post
Either way you go you will find a pistol grip 'C' stock a vast improvement over a straight stock and more enjoyable to shoot. I shoot an 03 but had to buy repro Marine Corp sights because of eye issues.
What does the Marine Corps sight offer that the issue site does not? Is the Maine Corps sight legal in CMP Springfield matches? The rear sight is my only concern. I am not old (late 30s) buy I wear glasses which correct my vision to 20/20.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:49 PM

The Marine Corp front sight is 0.125 inch thick. The rear sight drift or slide is solid with a 0.10 inch hole. Very good sight picture. These sights are legal or 'as issued' on the 1903. The Marine Corp rifle teams used these sights so not just for combat
Old 10-30-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertp View Post
The Marine Corp front sight is 0.125 inch thick. The rear sight drift or slide is solid with a 0.10 inch hole. Very good sight picture. These sights are legal or 'as issued' on the 1903. The Marine Corp rifle teams used these sights so not just for combat
Are these sights easy to purchase, surplus or aftermarket?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Aftermarket...Bill Bentz
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=55306
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the gouge! Leaning towards getting a 1903 and then replacing the sights. I take it a good number of people replace their 03 sights with the USMC varient?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:04 AM

The USMC front sight blade width is 0.10" (which is the widest allowed by CMP rule 4.2). The rear sight apertures on "as issued" rifles "may be modified"......same 4.2 rule. These sight alterations can be helpful, but it is purely an individual thing since no two shooters have the same vision. Most shooters like a small aperture, the optimum front sight width seems to vary more. This is a good area to explore, but starting with the issue sights doesn't hurt your match scores much. Good Shooting. ..
Old 10-31-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The USMC front sight blade width is 0.10" (which is the widest allowed by CMP rule 4.2). The rear sight apertures on "as issued" rifles "may be modified"......same 4.2 rule. These sight alterations can be helpful, but it is purely an individual thing since no two shooters have the same vision. Most shooters like a small aperture, the optimum front sight width seems to vary more. This is a good area to explore, but starting with the issue sights doesn't hurt your match scores much. Good Shooting. ..
Awesome...exactly what I needed...thanks! What's the going rate for a 1903 with decent metal and wood with an excellent bore (bright, no pitting, good muzzle/crown, 0-2 ME/TE readings); aresenal rebuild is fine. Basically looking for an excellent-good condition shooter, not a collectible.