Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2017, 06:13 PM

Hornady has their ballistic tables for all there cartridges on their website.

John
Old 11-19-2017, 06:16 PM

No matter how much you shoot at 100 yards, firing that first round ever at 600 yards is sort of an act of faith.

I remember the first time I shot a full distance match. I used the "come-ups" I was given but was still amazed when that first shot at 600 landed in the black.....Wow, what a rush.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
No matter how much you shoot at 100 yards, firing that first round ever at 600 yards is sort of an act of faith.

I remember the first time I shot a full distance match. I used the "come-ups" I was given but was still amazed when that first shot at 600 landed in the black.....Wow, what a rush.

I did the same this year with the Presidents 100 and the NTI. I was just amazed I hit the paper let alone the ten ring.

Now if I can do the same with the M1 I'll be good.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:31 PM

I only have range access to 185 yards...

What I did for Vintage Sniper, M1903A4 repro (using a Weaver K2.5)

Handloaded a known bullet (mine was Hornady AMAX 155gr) with known BC rating. If you are buying the ammo, you should be able to find the Ballistic Coefficient from Manufacturer)

Zeroed at 100 yards

Chronographed the rounds, at least 10, to get a good, solid muzzle velocity average. You could just use what's printed on the box, if you are purchasing the ammo.

Punched the BC and MV average into a standard ballistics calculator. Don't get into the weeds (i.e. humidity etc...) on these programs, they can get detailed. Tell it go out to 600yards. I use BALLISTICS on my iPad, but there are free ones everywhere on the net...

Tell the software you have a 100 yard zero and it will provide you with the bullet drop from that point on. Some will even give you the number of clicks on the scope, if you tell it the MOA per click, for a desired distance. Write them down.

It sounded hoakie, and I didn't wanna believe it, so...

I ordered a few "Sighting Target for Rifle, M1." {link to Creedmoor}

They look like a thermometer, where you aim (at 50 yards) at the circle at the bottom of the target, and the lines show you at what range you SHOULD be hitting.

Click for a pic of the target:

I then dialed the scope to what the ballistic calculator told me, and I will tell you, they were w/i an inch of each line as I moved up the target.

Of course, you could always just get a few of these and just walk the rounds up manually.

The last step was to mark the scope dial with the 300 and 600 yard settings, with 2 different colored sharpies.

So.......

When we shot the match at Perry last summer, after all that.... Elevation was about 2 clicks low at both 3 & 600 yds. At NE Games in September, they were right on.

Last edited by Ham_Chu; 12-27-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:02 AM

I shot the VS match at Butner 2yrs ago with an original A4 and M84. I only had a 300yd zero. I guess I got lucky, but I dialed "600" on the elevation knob and was very surprised to hit the 9 ring!
Old 12-28-2017, 05:29 PM

OP, where do you live?
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 01-01-2018, 10:43 PM

I shoot a M1C, like they say the scope is set at 300yds. so I click up 11 to start, it gets me on paper for 600yds. Try to keep the same sight picture. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 PM

Should be fun, just don't expect to hang with the bolt guns score-wise. Not even close. They will just not shoot with a 1903 or Swede sniper at 600yds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2018, 06:13 PM

Default bolt vs semi auto

the vintage sniper match games by the cmp have 2 different classes: bolt such as the m41b, 03A4's, and 03A1's, K98k's etc...and in the other class is the semi auto including M1D's and C's, G and K43's, SVT's etc. So you wont be compared against bolt guns, just other semi's.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:17 PM

303, Where do you live? http://www.henrycountygunclub.com/vintage-rifle/