Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriec View Post
I may have missed it SA1941, what you doing for a barrel? Second range trip for us today. We are at 22rd total. Everything looks and works fine. Action screws need to be more tightened more frequently with this new stock. Happy so far. You have your vise and action wrench already?
I need a barrel. That's the only thing I don't have right now. Would like a Remington barrel to go on it. If I had to get picky, I would like a Feb 43 barrel to replace it's original that is now destroyed. But I don't have to that particular. Just a good condition used barrel would be fine. All tooling to get the barrel on is ready. Glad yours is up and running. How is the accuracy?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

A bit later barrel, but NOS....$160
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=221615
Old 01-13-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
A bit later barrel, but NOS....$160
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=221615
Ahh. Very good! Thanks Shomway!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:58 AM

SA1941, Have you already removed your barrel? That was my most difficult task in reactivating my rifle. I have a 2nd rifle coming, just to improve over my first rifle reactivation.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1a View Post
SA1941, Have you already removed your barrel? That was my most difficult task in reactivating my rifle. I have a 2nd rifle coming, just to improve over my first rifle reactivation.
I haven't removed it yet. I will hopefully work on it if I get some time over this extended weekend. Any pointers? I know that a relief cut has to be made to make it easier.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 AM

No pointers, but be careful when cutting the welded receiver/barrel. I was using my dremel and couldn't see exactly where I was cutting because of all the sparks that were flying about. I got a little too close to the action and caused some very minor danmage. Definitely soak the barrel/action in Kroil or something similar before trying to remove the barrel.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:40 AM

Hi SA1941,

Cutting that weld free is easy- go a little deeper than you think you need to, if you use a Dremel tool & a few cut off wheels- it's a quick & easy step..
BE SAFE & wear safety glasses !
That recess cut to remove tension from the joint is a big help to free the barrel. You may want to wrap some masking tape around the receiver, in case of a slip up- to protect the receiver.
I'm a great fan of a good penetrating oil applied to the front action hole a few times, before trying to remove the barrel on my 2 03-A3's.
Apparently on a much older RIA-1903 barrel,it was tighter then what I felt was "normal" even after the application of the penetration oil.

I used a heat gun to warm it up, until it was hot to the touch. You could actually see the penetrating oil get sucked into the threads. It came off easy after that first pull! We saw we were using more force then the other 2 03-A3's.

You may wish to read up of various methods people use to safely remove a barrel! Like using lead sinkers & lots of rosin to make sure nothing slips or moved.
I found cleaning up the weld at the Mag / bolt release area was done much faster & cleaner with some low cost (various grit)diamond files from Harbor Freight or Northern Supply!
You might want to think about lapping the lugs in on your action BEFORE you install the barrel! I made a bolt lapping tool out of the barrel stub with a spring & a piece of nylon rod. Now both lugs have about 60/70 % engagement. My gunsmith felt that was fine!

Take your time if this is the first time.

Good Luck,
broom
Old 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM

Hi All,

I was still typing when Snuffy beat me to posting a message!!

"IF" it can go wrong - it will go WRONG take the TIME & added few steps to prevent a problem!

My only slip was on the first one under the action, just tipped the sharp corner of the receiver a tad. A few file strokes & little cold blue made it vanish.

broom
Old 01-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi SA1941,

Cutting that weld free is easy- go a little deeper than you think you need to, if you use a Dremel tool & a few cut off wheels- it's a quick & easy step..
BE SAFE & wear safety glasses !
That recess cut to remove tension from the joint is a big help to free the barrel. You may want to wrap some masking tape around the receiver, in case of a slip up- to protect the receiver.
I'm a great fan of a good penetrating oil applied to the front action hole a few times, before trying to remove the barrel on my 2 03-A3's.
Apparently on a much older RIA-1903 barrel,it was tighter then what I felt was "normal" even after the application of the penetration oil.

I used a heat gun to warm it up, until it was hot to the touch. You could actually see the penetrating oil get sucked into the threads. It came off easy after that first pull! We saw we were using more force then the other 2 03-A3's.

You may wish to read up of various methods people use to safely remove a barrel! Like using lead sinkers & lots of rosin to make sure nothing slips or moved.
I found cleaning up the weld at the Mag / bolt release area was done much faster & cleaner with some low cost (various grit)diamond files from Harbor Freight or Northern Supply!
You might want to think about lapping the lugs in on your action BEFORE you install the barrel! I made a bolt lapping tool out of the barrel stub with a spring & a piece of nylon rod. Now both lugs have about 60/70 % engagement. My gunsmith felt that was fine!

Take your time if this is the first time.

Good Luck,
broom
Broom,

That's what I was thinking. I have reactivated a M1 before, never an 03. That's why I was asking anyway. New gun, not familiar with any particulars to this rifle. Yall are experts. I am always eager to learn how to do something better, and listen to what yall have done after many years of doing it. Thanks to all of you for the help!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:11 PM

Suggest following what broomhandle stated...Very good advice..