Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2018, 07:58 PM

Default M1903A4 Build

I've decided that my next project will be an 03A4 clone. I am still in need of a number of parts but I am off to a good start with the receiver, complete bolt, trigger components and trigger guard.

My question is this. Has anyone used the new C Stocks that the CMP has offered? Since this will be a clone "original" is not so important.

Pro's and Con's?

Thanks,

rifle guy
Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Be aware that the CMP C stock is a 1903 stock and is not cut for the hand guard ring as you would find on a 1903A3 stock. Also the included hand guard is a 1903 style hand guard.
I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to relieve the stock to accommodate for the ring...if you are handy.
Just a heads-up.

Last edited by Shomway; 01-23-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:34 PM

Look at Minelli Stocks....Brownells has them in stock for the 1903...I ordered one and found it to be a good stock...not too oversized like the CMP stocks. I actually sold it on another forum because the grain was too fancy for me. If it had been more plain, (like a USGI stock) I would have kept it....Fit seemed really good. I ended up ordering a legit USGI 'NOS' stock from Northridge International.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:18 AM

Thanks for all of the information. I'll be checking out Brownells.
Another question. Is it safe to assume that 03A3's and 03AA4's use all of the same stock metal? I may have a few pieces on hand.

rifle guy
Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle guy View Post
Thanks for all of the information. I'll be checking out Brownells.
Another question. Is it safe to assume that 03A3's and 03AA4's use all of the same stock metal? I may have a few pieces on hand.

rifle guy
Yes...same stock metal.
I have one of the 1903A3 Minelli stocks and love it. Just realize that the stock comes with no stock metal or hand guard. You would need to obtain the cross bolts and rear receiver bushing/sleeve and install them.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod55037.aspx
Old 01-24-2018, 11:01 AM

I've build two rifles using CMP 1903 stock (A3 and A4). Both turned out well and shoot good. Challenges with the CMP wood is it's pretty soft, so you have to be careful and go slow with fitting. Original 1903A3 handguards were easily to get a few years ago, not sure about now. The major issue when fitting is getting good end pressure on the barrel. I'd prefer if the CMP stock came a little over sized in the receiver recessed areas (specifically the rear action bolt area on top, this is critical point that you do not want to lower or crush) so we could better fit for that end pressure. It's a real pain to get it right without shims.... very easy with shims (like the old US army armorers use to do). Not sure why CMP has a rule against using a simple shim to make a 1903 shoot and they let all the foreign bolt guns do whatever they want.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Also take a look at Stocky's stocks. They sell the Minelli 03A3 stock with matching handguard. I have ordered a couple 03A3 stocks from them in the past and had good a experience. Same as Brownells stocks, does not include cross bolts.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/spring...t-replacement-
Old 01-24-2018, 02:21 PM

I will not use the CMP repro 1903 C stocks......and I have several that failed early on for sale. I have not seen the Stocky/Menelli C stock, but it likely would be my choice for a repro at this time. The GI stocks are best IMO, including the scant version. Review the threads in the forum and pay particular attention to the failures that occur immediately behind the recoil shoulder. All replacement stocks need careful fitting and attention to this area in particular. Good Shooting....?
Old 01-28-2018, 08:15 PM

If you’re are interested in a scant stock, I have one, all ready for a 03a4 build, I’d be willing to sell. PM if you’re interested.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 AM

all the repro stocks made will need fitting, as well as a steel bushing installed.
i epoxy the bushing in place..
shooting with the soft bushing provided will damage the stock over time,