Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
If I read that correctly, it is illegal to reload using bullets with the steel penetrator like the commonly available green tips?
Or was it the sale of the ammo ( being an unlicensed manufacturer I preume) that was illegal and the description was " armor piercing?" I've read that some states prohibit AP and/or tracker use.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
If I read that correctly, it is illegal to reload using bullets with the steel penetrator like the commonly available green tips?
No, itís the selling not the reloading. You cannot be in the business of reloading ammo and selling it without the appropriate FFL license.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:39 AM

Under Federal law

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 USC 922
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(7) for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition, unless—
(A) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
(B) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the purpose of exportation; or
(C) the manufacture or importation of such ammunition is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General;
Selling has nothing to do with the issue of the (alleged) crime here

Last edited by meplat; 02-04-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Remember guys, an apple is not a banana!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:45 AM

One of the charges listed on his arrest warrant is

" the manufacture of armor piercing ammunition"

I was unable to cut and paste the exact statute number,but it doesn't mention sales
Old 02-04-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
Under Federal law

Selling has nothing to do with the issue of the (alleged) crime here

Beat me to it. The way I read that, and I am not a lawyer, but anyone who reloads using the widely available green tip penetrators is breaking the above mentioned law
Old 02-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Interesting read....I see guys selling reloads all the time at gun shows and swap meets. I have never purchased any so never gave it much thought. From the URL, it appears that this guy was also engaged in designing and manufacturing his own "specialty" rounds.

but, at any rate, I think I would be a little suspicious of someone that went to the car and put on gloves to carry a box out of my house!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:13 PM

not giving legal advice here, but one could argue that manufacturing is the reloading/altering process itself; it may not necessarily involve any subsequent exchange of money or barter or gifting; that may be the best lesson learned from this.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:04 PM

If you read the affidavit carefully, there are 2 parts to it:

-the manufacturing of the AP/API 308 cartridges (in common words - reloading) without a license. That is the 922(a)(7) part.

-the second part is the sale of said cartridges. That is the 922(a)(8) part. More specifically the sale of AP rounds to persons/entities not qualified to have them.

If you read the affidavit, it covers the elements of those crimes.

So yes, don't sell reloads (manufacture ammunition without a license) ESPECIALLY AP type stuff.

BTW:

m885/SS109 bullets are not considered AP.

Also none of these laws ban the possession of the components.

Nor does it ban the possession of said cartridges.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 02-04-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:29 PM

In a situation like this, someone's got to pay the piper. At least in California there are probably dozens of laws that nobody knows about that are plucked out of the drawer and used against someone they want to nail. Every one is usually a felony and there is a nasty grocery receipt prepared to cover the situation you've gotten yourself into.
For instance: Possession of a tracer round in California is a felony. One round one count, ten rounds, ten felony counts. Nobody knows about that one and there are probably what? 2M tracer rounds kicking around the state. If they want to put you away for any reason, there's the crime. They pass 900 new laws in California each year and many are felonies.

Last edited by DaveHH; 02-04-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:44 PM

FWIW, our news said AP is illegal in all pistol calibers and .308 is illegal because of TC and AR pistols in this caliber.