Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to olbadger Send a message via Yahoo to olbadger

There's a Jefferson County Sheriff's Department range just off of I-22 at the Coalburg exit, Exit 93, CR 77, next to the sewer facility. Might check with them. I have fired M16 and M60 there, but that was years ago. I do know that the FBI Infragard program had a shoot there a month or so back.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:50 PM

If nothing else there should be a 100 yard range somewhere close by. Shooting reduced targets is better than nothing. We often practiced on a 100 yard range when I was on the Nevada NG Composite Rifle Team.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scssa_ar View Post
Ok. 15 not 25. I was going by the 250/10 “sessions” that was discussed. Still, that’s per shooter per practice.
Hmmm.
CMP made a very generous offer, at what is certainly the best range for your needs within a few thousand miles, and it's a 50 minute drive from my office in Hoover (not that I leave work early to driver there). What more would anyone expect? There are costs to running the range, especially if full price customers are turned away it they are full (other than matches I don't know if that would happen on a weekday, there are what 475 lanes on the 600yd range?
What did SCSSA offer?
Gunterville has a 200 yd range, I think that's about it besides the many 100 yd ranges nearby.
I don't think any of the PD ranges have over 100 yards, but they may work out a free deal. If you are asking for a ride the the range as well, it will probably be 1 way with the PD.

JH
Old 02-09-2018, 06:11 AM

If they have 10 members at $15/ea. and they practice every week, that's $600 per month. Not including ammo. I don't know "what more would anyone expect," but I suspect they don't have near the funds to accomplish this. I don't think he is trying to be a cheapskate, but is forced to find cheaper options if he could. If I offer you something for $1,000,000 and its worth $2,000,000, are you wrong because you can't afford the $1,000,000?

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

I WAS the proud owner of 45+ 100% A+ ratings on the old itrader system.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:37 AM

Thanks cattleman. That’s exactly the boat we’re in. Trying to build and run a team vs practicing yourself are two different things. We’ve got to recruit and train folks before we can really have a solid team to begin with. Then keep the folks we want. The unit has some funds for this, but not the $2000+/yr (6x) offered.

On the range availability side, we were going to practice on Wednesdays. We were there last Wednesday and there were zero customers on range 1, two on range 2. It’s not a busy time of the week, but their operating costs are constant. It’s a matter of having no people vs some people. Further, those folks would more than likely come back on their off time with friends/family or at a minimum let others know about the place. Plus the good PR opportunity.

We’ve been offered the use of a local 100 yd range, which will suffice for now, for a whole lot less.

Thanks for the responses.

Mike
Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 AM

Just curious, if you were disappointed with their proposal, what were you expecting it to be? The only public range in our area is $34 a day and max shooting distance is only 100 yards. I hope you find a solution that works for you and your team.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:51 AM

I am a bit confused.

Isn't this the Charter of the CMP?

Put in an official request, with letterhead, signed by an administrator and request range use once a week for free.

research it and include that in your request.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
That has to be a mistake on their part. You didn't walk in there wearing a "Auburn Rulz" shirt I hope as I think they are all "Roll Tide" fans there.
In state terminology, Bama fans that didn't actually go to Bama are known as "Bamers".
Old 02-09-2018, 12:23 PM

I always counseled my perspective team member that there were expenses they would have to pay out of pocket to be a member of the National guard shooting team. Many of the guys couldn't afford to get out and shoot more than once a month and there are always some matches that the Guard would not fund. Regulations only allowed four matches paid and that did not include man days or drill days. The Wilson Matches were the only exception. Practice was always at individual time and expense. Sometimes they could come up with State money to fund a match, but that was an exception.

We were lucky to have a couple of ranges available, but the primary practice range was only 300 yards and did not have a pit which pretty much limited it to 200. Most practice was done at 100 yards. The local shooting club also put on a monthly 100 yard XC match at low cost. The Guard Bureau put out a letter to AG's stating that all military ranges should be made available for civilian use whenever possible. That included NG teams, but it is rarely done these days.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Hmmm.
... Gunter[s]ville has a 200 yd range, ....

JH
The Blue and Grey Rifle and Pistol Club Range (www.bgrpc.org/) off of Guntersville Dam Road, off of US 431 North of Guntersville, is about 1hr 45 min from Birmingham (by Google Maps).

The Club has a 200, 100 and 50 yard rifle ranges, and 50, 25 and 7 yard pistol ranges.

The range holds matches on many Saturdays, quite a few on the 200 yard range. The matches are open to anyone, not just club members. They are, however, usually specialized (Precision High Power, Smallbore prone, etc.).

I would suggest contacting the Club about using the Range; it can't hurt. As I tell my kids, if you don't ask the answer is always "No.".

It looks like the website is down now for maintenance, but if you email me through the Forum I can give you contact information for the Club Officers. The February meeting will be held at 6:00 p.m. on February 20th at Ted's BBQ, 8780 Madison Blvd, Madison, AL 35758 (Next to Krystal).