Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2018, 07:41 AM

Default Mas 36

You don't hear much about this rifle and I'm curious why? I've never fired one or even seen one in person, but they look interesting and from some light research I've done seem like a solid design. For those who are more knowledgeable, what's the opinion of these rifles, and why aren't they more popular? What's the opinion on the 7.5x54mm round?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:46 AM

French rifles have always been unique to that country.... consistent with their national character. The MAS 36 fires a rather conventional rimless cartridge with a bullet diameter just different enough to preserve the national character. The rifle is of course, unique. It has a two piece stock, oddly shaped rear lugged bolt, even stranger sling swivel, forestock tube to hold its bayonet, but a supprisingly conventional barrel sights, and box magazine. Wikipedia will elaborate. For CMP Vintage rifle it will probably not win, unless you can shoot 95 plus in your offhand. It is arguably, an improvement over the 1886 Lebel and WW1 Berthier. Good Shooting. .....

Last edited by ceresco; 02-10-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Here are pictures of a MAS 36 51 . I have not fired this one yet but have fired the MAS 49 56 and enjoyed it functioned well.

https://imgur.com/a/ZTLKY
Old 02-10-2018, 09:28 AM

FYI-the rifle has no mechanical safety!!
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 AM

Fine handy rifle. Very good caliber for combat use ... equal to anything of the era. BA rifle ... no real handicap in the hands of the Germans, Russians, British, Japs. Bayonet ... not so hot but at least as useful as the spike issued by the British. Lack of a safety ... the French had never used them. Guess they expected trained soldiers to follow the manual of arms. Works with lots of firearms from elegant single shot rifles, competition shot guns, even combat pistols up to and including the Glock. Will say, in retrospect, the French should have gone ahead and deployed the semi-auto design they already had rather than continuously tweaking it. It would have been a real advantage to them during the early part of the fighting in WWII. Nothing would have prevented the disaster that destroyed the French ground troops... unless the British had sacrificed their men in a effort to hold the Germans while the French were rescued at Dunkirk. As it is ... the French were sacrificed. The British were rescued. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:00 AM

It seems to be very solid and fairly accurate. Trigger pull seems a little heavy and the hidden spike bayonet is cool. I would hate to be shot with one. As far as the safety, you can carry with empty chamber and then rack the bolt? I think many were refurbished after the war.

My MAS 36 is second from the right

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPG1PiSHzVoArknQlCRUQ9gXd7Ei4yEeKMMu0P-0SwfpnfEAeEaFU_DchnKsXfkyA?key=OWhqRGlHQ2xWNjhRVnl TaXdRUks2dDI0LTE4eEFn

Last edited by luigi; 02-13-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:44 AM

I have one of each great firing rifles very accurate,I bought mine years ago in like New condition put some pics up on here and got made fun off lol,But from what I have seen on prices lately and what I paid under $300,I think looks like I got the last laugh also mine came in original wooden boxes with all accessories ,Ammo can be found but its scattered.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:54 PM

Good rifle, good cartridge (comparable to .308 winchester/7.62 Nato), surplus ammo can be found but much of it is I think Syrian corrosive, PPU does make new production reasonably priced good quality 7.5 French ammo.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:57 AM

No question the MAS 36 is an interesting rifle. I bought two of them that were in the "mummy" wrap waxed paper maybe 25 years ago? Both of these were in "minty" unissued condition after being refurbished. I kept one and sold the other. I have since acquired another, maybe 10 years ago, in the same super clean unissued since refurbished condition. I have shot both of these rifles extensively at 50 and 100 yds. and found them to be fairly accurate, limiting factor to me was the thicker front blade and probably quality of the old surplus ammunition. Had the opportunity to shoot one of the rifles at 200 yards but don't recall the results. No question the MAS 36 is a rugged, and as most bolt guns, dependable rifle. Trigger pull on both of mine are a little heavy. I actually like the sights and believe them to be a very good combat or battle sight. Again it is just the thickness of the front blade that makes it harder for me to obtain better accuracy at 100yds or beyond. One other thought on the rear sight, these are not adjustable for windage . This would be accomplished but changing out the rear sight leaf inside the peep sight. Bolt is very easy to take apart which is great when shooting corrosive ammunition. Bayonet is nothing more than a spike, "pig sticker", but compared to the British spike bayonets I have for the No. 4 Enfield's, the MAS spike is much shaper at the point. Both came with new unissued leather slings, nothing more than a carry strap. Sling attachment points on the MAS 36 are on the side, similar to what I've seen called "Calvary style" by other foreign armies, and makes for a comfortable carry as the rifle will lay flat across ones back.

Finding original French surplus 7.5mm ammunition is not very common. Most of the talked about Syrian surplus 7.5mm French ammunition has dried up, there is some still to be found, but not like it was 20-25 years ago. I shot a quantity of this early on with zero issues. Years later I acquired a couple hundred rounds and this batch had the famed "hang fires" being fairly common. Not very good for getting any sort of decent results on paper. Best bet today is the PPU offering in 7.5 French, excellent ammo and then you'll have some good brass if you choose to reload. Expect to pay between $14.50-16.50 for the PPU in boxes of 20.

Last edited by mrrm; 02-11-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 AM

I need to find mine and take some pictures.
I was flipping through the Numrich catalog about 10-15 years ago and there was a 1/4 page box showing complete MAS-36's for like $36.00.
Not in any section related to complete rifles or MAS parts, pretty random if I recall; I always wondered why it was like that, an easter egg perhaps?

I sent them some money and my 03 and received a nice looking MAS-36 a week or so later, along with some misc. other parts I ordered. Cleaned up well, excellent condition, I should have ordered a few more. Stumbled into some slings, ammo pouches and ammo not long after, probably shot it once.
Like others, it is an interesting rifle, probably the last bolt action service rifle deployed. A bit small for my taste, but well made.
JH