Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2018, 10:29 AM

Default The End for the Remington?

Sad to see the legendary maker of the 03a3 go out this way. I hope they can at least file bankruptcy because the alternative is unthinkable.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKBN1FT04C
Old 02-10-2018, 02:39 PM

I don't know that its fatal, many times you retire you poor financial decisions and start without that overhead. Possibly incorporated into another firm.

Its interesting that Cerbus seems to be not involved despite its being a controlling entity of some sort. Get to enjoy the cake without the fallout?

Industry has been due for a falling out, too much production and too few buyers.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Japanese will Buy them out or someone like that maybe they bought Winchester and from what I see have been putting out some nice rifles, Bankruptcy makes them a prime candidate for being bought esp with such a well-known history.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:35 PM

So sad to see an Icon of the gun industry go under.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:53 PM

So much debt coming due ,I sure hope they can pay it or be able to file bankruptcy and operate under the protection it can get then so they can get everything back operating profitable again, Geesh I wonder how they ended up like that ,sure seems intentional so they could maybe file for BR easier and operate under that protection maybe or someone at the helm was not watching the piggy bank so well down there.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:16 PM

I think they need a Lee Iaccoca as CEO. Is not Remington diversified? Razors, etc????
Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smal View Post
Geesh I wonder how they ended up like that ,sure seems intentional so they could maybe file for BR easier and operate under that protection maybe or someone at the helm was not watching the piggy bank so well down there.
That's what happens when the Freedom Group buys you out. They have been responsible for ruining other companies as well. They just buy em up, use em up, and discard them. Terrible shame. Of course, the botched launch of the R51 pistol didn't help. I got one and am happy with it. But that is another subject for another time.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 AM

havnt been Remington since 1995
Old 02-12-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmark View Post
I think they need a Lee Iaccoca as CEO. Is not Remington diversified? Razors, etc????
No, not the same Remington. The razor, typewriter and computer company (and 1911A1 manufacturer) was Remington Rand which became Sperry Rand and I have no idea what it is named now.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Realize that this is not just Remington.
This is Remington Outdoor. The holding company that used to be called freedom group.
So this includes.
Remington Arms
Remington UMC ammo
Bushmaster
DPMS
Marlin
H&R Firearms
And a number of smaller companies
(Barnes, Para, Parker, Tapco, etc)

None of their brands has been worth crap (except the ammo maybe) for some time now

Marlin.... they tried to take all the old machines to Ilion and hire new people to work on them. Didn't work as it turned out the machines were kinda old and worn and the replacement people didn't know the little tweakes and hand fitment to make the guns right.
Bushmaster... Moved to Ilion and drove into the ground. Thankfully they left the old factory and the owner restarted the company as Wyndham Weaponry.
DPMS... same deal.
H&R shell of what it was.. (Former M1 and M14 maker)

One thing someone will snap up is the old UMC (Remington Ammo) group in Arkansas. The cash generated to maybe to try and save the rest.