Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtime7 View Post
you can look here, there are seven different threads 1 for each pistol the dept received

https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Cool!
Thank You!

BTW.......... Of the pictures I saw in your link, That is not Cerakote, I'd agree with you.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
If it's a DOD weapon with Cerakote why would you want to remove it? The CMP 1911s will cost much more than a commonly available 1911 (You can by plain jane 1911s for what, $500-$750?) because they are collectible. They are collectible because of their history.

2 minutes on the google will tell you all you need to know about removing Cerakote, and it involves the word "sandblast".

You will spend several hundred removing Cerakote and having a new finish applied, and it will then be worth less than what you paid just for the 1911 in the 1st place.

One thought: Don't buy one with Cerakote?

JH
Good advice, except you don't have a choice on what you receive from the CMP other than by grade.

Just to clarify, I'm not referring to the M45s. I dislike then as well by the way. I am referring to the M1911s that have been cerakoted in some cases. There is evidence of that on 1911 Forum. Some that were sold by DoD to police departments.

Sorry, here is what I am referring to. Some seem to think that CMP will receive some like these which I do not prefer but if this is what I get then i will live with it or trade for something that does not have this type of finish. Sounds like there are plenty of folks that would just love to have one with this finish. I just do not.

I don't even buy new weapons anymore. I just like the patina of an original weapon or if it was refinished or polished at some point, it is close to its original "appearance." The only reason I am sending in my order for one of the CMP 1911s is because I carried several in the Army and want one as a souvenoir/retirement gift to myself. By the way, none of those were cerakoted!!!!! LOL!

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=908457

Last edited by Big_Red; 02-12-2018 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 02-12-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
Just to clarify, I'm not referring to the M45s. I dislike then as well by the way. I am referring to the M1911s that have been cerakoted in some cases. There is evidence of that on 1911 Forum. Some that were sold by DoD to police departments.
that's not cerakote , just heavy park
Old 02-12-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Good advice, except you don't have a choice on what you receive from the CMP other than by grade.
Of reallllllllly now!

So as they are filling orders, which follows inspecting and test firing, they won't place the one-offs and rare ones to the side for auction?
I didn't see that in the info that has been released.
Did I miss that?
JH
Old 02-12-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Of reallllllllly now!

So as they are filling orders, which follows inspecting and test firing, they won't place the one-offs and rare ones to the side for auction?
I didn't see that in the info that has been released.
Did I miss that?
JH
they made it pretty clear, mail order only, no store or online sales (that would be auction). But of course that could always change. I am hoping they will offer rack, service and collector through mail order though.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
that's not cerakote , just heavy park

Perhaps it's me but I don't see any mention of cerakote in the provided link..
Quote:
Sorry, here is what I am referring to. Some seem to think that CMP will receive some like these which I do not prefer but if this is what I get then i will live with it or trade for something that does not have this type of finish. Sounds like there are plenty of folks that would just love to have one with this finish. I just do not.

I don't even buy new weapons anymore. I just like the patina of an original weapon or if it was refinished or polished at some point, it is close to its original "appearance." The only reason I am sending in my order for one of the CMP 1911s is because I carried several in the Army and want one as a souvenoir/retirement gift to myself. By the way, none of those were cerakoted!!!!! LOL!

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=908457
Old 02-12-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
they made it pretty clear, mail order only, no store or online sales (that would be auction). But of course that could always change. I am hoping they will offer rack, service and collector through mail order though.
No store or online sales is not "no auction"
Many years of CMP (as well as my language analysis and investigation skills) show that "If CMP didn't say it, we can't say it for them".
CMP just got the pistols, I am pretty sure they have not opened the boxes yet. Past history shows they are excellent at segregating oddballs (because sure enough they would send a rare Duracoated special Ops 1911 to someone like the OP who would want to return it, for good reason according to HIS stated criteria of a CMP 1911).
Why on earth would we expect their management of 1911s to be significantly different form how they operate today?
They have 8000 to go through in the 1st year. The armorers will toss to the side anything unusual and go on to the next. There are, after all, to make money to fund the CMP.

No need to overthink this.
If they open a box and instead of 50 1911s there are 49, and an M9 or S&W Victory or Luger they will also toss that to the side, and not blindly send the next one......
JH
Old 02-12-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
No store or online sales is not "no auction"
Many years of CMP (as well as my language analysis and investigation skills) show that "If CMP didn't say it, we can't say it for them".
CMP just got the pistols, I am pretty sure they have not opened the boxes yet. Past history shows they are excellent at segregating oddballs (because sure enough they would send a rare Duracoated special Ops 1911 to someone like the OP who would want to return it, for good reason according to HIS stated criteria of a CMP 1911).
Why on earth would we expect their management of 1911s to be significantly different form how they operate today?
They have 8000 to go through in the 1st year. The armorers will toss to the side anything unusual and go on to the next. There are, after all, to make money to fund the CMP.

No need to overthink this.
If they open a box and instead of 50 1911s there are 49, and an M9 or S&W Victory or Luger they will also toss that to the side, and not blindly send the next one......
JH
I think it is pretty clear, that they are handling 1911 pistol sales differently. Someone should just post the question directly on ask cmp.. I think it is a valid question that Mark Johnson could answer

Last edited by mtime7; 02-12-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 PM

Anything rare or with original finish/configuration will be either priced as such or go to auction. I have a hard time believing that the CMP would consider the auction online sales. Semantically the auction is online, practicality wise, not so much.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:26 PM

This isn't the DCM.
They must sell them near fair market value. By default, that means rare specimens will be pulled.
USGI 1911s can easily go to $2500-$3500, and CMP has stated a target "around $1000" if I recall.
A few years skimming threads from CMP show they won't tolerate sending out one-offs because as soon as OP posts his Cerakoted 1911 wanting to sandblast it, the 3000 people wanting one will email CMP and explain how it's unfair.

But, overthink this as much as you want, none of us will know anything other than what has been said until the day CMP-1911 opens the website. That and reading what CMP has said, not hearing what they haven't said, and letting others burst blood vessels.

As I say to Zvenoson, chillax!

JH