Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Banned

Pick up these there not to expensive to start and have some great info in them ,The M-1 Garand Post World War II by Scott Duff also The M1 Garand World War II By Scott Duff also,Bruce Canfield has Complete guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine these were in the 20 to $30 Dollar range when I bought them also if you want the Big Book with everything you can imagine its about $80.00,Called The M1 Garand Rifle by Bruce Canfield Great Big book that has anything and everything, A great source to use referencing but it would be a very long read if you ever tried that I think the CMP E-Store has these.

https://estore.thecmp.org/?cat=BKS
Old 02-11-2018, 08:40 AM

Certainly not serious but, in most cases, terminal.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 AM

Not really a problem. Just a few things to watch for. I'll tell you more later, got to run I'm waiting for an auction to end, got to get that final bid in, I really NEED this one, it's almost "correct"!
CMP customer since 2017
Old 02-11-2018, 09:10 AM

One time my girlfriend said I was drinking too much. None of the guys at the bar seemed to think so!
Old 02-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Yes, you have a serious marriage threatening problem... possibly even life threatening!

Fortunately, my dear wife has her own M1, is set-up as a CMP buyer, is a concealed carrier and encourages buying more firearms. She is anxiously awaiting the M1911s.

Presently, we're at 18 Garands, 15 carbines and a slew of other weapons.

I strongly suggest that you send us your M1 immediately. We will help you and bear the burden of another M1 Rifle.

Seriously, since I was a child I breathe, eat and you know what guns. It has been a life-long passion. With over 150 guns and my getting up in age it's becoming a liability and now time to start thinning the collection.

Sorry you got into it so late but there is still plenty to enjoy!
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Last edited by sigman2; 02-11-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:57 PM

It is obvious now that you need some "recoil-therapy."
Old 02-11-2018, 03:07 PM

It is called Garanditis, and yes, it is catching. Take a friend to the range and let him shoot your Garand and hear the ping, and he'll get infected for sure! It's not really bad until you quit counting your M1s by singles and instead count by your number of stacks. You'll also be plotting strategies for getting more Garands into the house without your mate knowing. Then you'll start telling yourself, "This is my LAST one, and I mean it this time! Absolutely no more!!!" Until you see the new Nation X returns. But relax, it's okay, nothing fatal (except to your wallet). Enjoy!

Last edited by NChick; 02-11-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 AM

I thought it was bad when I bought my Underwood carbine a couple of years or so ago, but this Garand thing is.....well, addictive. I do regret not getting into this area of shooting, sooner. Better late than never though. My wife is actually pretty understanding of my gun interest. She shoots handguns occasionally, but she is a little puzzled with my constant research and talking about Garands. I'm having a great time.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smal View Post
Pick up these there not to expensive to start and have some great info in them ,The M-1 Garand Post World War II by Scott Duff also The M1 Garand World War II By Scott Duff also,Bruce Canfield has Complete guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine these were in the 20 to $30 Dollar range when I bought them also if you want the Big Book with everything you can imagine its about $80.00,Called The M1 Garand Rifle by Bruce Canfield Great Big book that has anything and everything, A great source to use referencing but it would be a very long read if you ever tried that I think the CMP E-Store has these.

https://estore.thecmp.org/?cat=BKS
There is no problem reading Canfield's big book. The problem comes in when it is the third or fourth time you read it. That is obsessive. It is getting to the point where I need to get another copy. Like most of the books that I use for reference, the binding is starting to fail.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:38 PM

These are not the problems you are looking for....move along..move along