Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9 View Post
OP, they didn't chew your seats up to get to the condiments.
They shredded the cushion material to make a nice plush bed,
somewhere else.

Translated, go to Autozone or Advance, they'll pull your codes
for free, and you can google 'em and get some (sometimes exactly,
sometimes not) idea of what's wrong.
They didn't chew up the seat cushions. They ate through the bottom of the seat back pouch to get to the bag of condiments. Two holes about 1" diameter through the bottom of the pouch.

My first attempt was a retired Ford mechanic who has a repair shop at his home. I had used him before and was well satisfied with his work. Unfortunately, he had recent back surgery and was unable to help me.

Advance Auto was the second place I went. They miss diagnosed it as a bad fuel cap. Of course, they didn't have the correct cap. I ordered one from Rock Auto. This did not clear up the problem.

Third was Pep Boys. I immediately knew I was in the wrong place when the guy turned on the key to the "run" position then told me I had a bad oil pump. The oil pressure light was on... I said, "Doesn't the engine have to be running to obtain oil pressure." I got the "deer in headlights" stare. He ran an analysis but no one at the shop could figure it out.

Fourth attempt was the "Rat Man" who kept my vehicle long enough to fatten up his rats.

It's now at a local dealership. Engine code was for a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 02-11-2018, 01:04 PM

You are learning a lesson I did long ago. Don't bottom-feed with a jackleg. Go to the dealer!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrmann View Post
You are learning a lesson I did long ago. Don't bottom-feed with a jackleg. Go to the dealer!
Rat Man isn't supposed to be a jackleg. His shop has been in business for 34 years!

Now, I consider Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc. to be jacklegs as far as diagnosing problems... even when installing a battery. Pep Boys... maybe a little better.

The retired Ford mechanic has a well equipped shop on his property.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 02-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
Engine code was for a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor.
You can do Fuel Pressure yourself. Pro wrenches (and hacks alike) LOVE to sell fuel pumps, same as MAF example I spoke of before.

This was diags for 1 of 16 INJ's, actually caught it leaking in the act next day

Only $700 for new ones

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on /09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 02-11-2018, 03:27 PM

Live on a farm, rats like auto wiring. Had problems untill I put bags of mothballs all over the vehicles especially engine compartments. They also chew up hydraulic lines.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:58 PM

Default Packrats love wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywash View Post
Live on a farm, rats like auto wiring. Had problems untill I put bags of mothballs all over the vehicles especially engine compartments. They also chew up hydraulic lines.
Packrats demolished all the underhood wiring on my 73 chevy pu in the ozark deercamp..they built a huge leaf nest all around the aircleaner.I had never seen them eat thru all the copper wiring harness and racing silicon header wiring,Plus they ate some fanbelts and Chewed a hole in the heater box and filled the cab with crap, and stolen stuff from the shed...True Packrat--I was only driving this truck monthly before.. they ate the starter and ignition wires. Demolished.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 PM

I've had the same problem here in Texas, plus I had a 4 foot chicken snake come into my car after the mice! Boy did my car stink from the mice droppings and the snake that got cooked in the 100 degree temps of July in the Lone Star State.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 AM

While not a rat/mice story exactly, it's probably close enough. I had a Dodge pickup that I was going to use one Saturday morning for a trip to Home Depot. I climbed in the truck and turned the key. Now, normally, this truck would start very quickly, however this time it did not. So, I turned off the key, waited a couple of seconds, and turned it to the start position. I was instantly greeted with smoke and flames coming from under the hood. I scrambled out of the vehicle and opened the hood. Fortunately, my boat was parked right beside the Dodge and I grabbed the fire exh., out of it and put out the fire. This whole episode lasted just seconds.

as it turned out, my neighbor had been feeding the squirrels in the neighborhood peanuts. They in turn decided to live under my hood, as evidenced by peanut shells. They had chewed through the rubber portion of the fuel system and of course, this resulted in the fire. My insurance company totaled my Dodge. The adjuster said that the wiring harnesses were extremely expensive to replace and along with the rest of the damage...... Well, you get the picture.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:15 AM

I bought an 88 Z24 convertible, from someone who had bought from an auction, where it had been stored in a barn. Once I got it home, I noticed two bolts in the console, which I recognized as being for the rear seat cushion. When I lifted up the cushion, I found that almost all the foam was gone, eaten by mice. They also nested in the trunk and their droppings rusted the electric trunk release in place. I also found that they made a home in the heating system. There was about a half inch of droppings in by the heater core, plus they had eaten some of the plastic duct work. I finally ended up replacing the heat case, core , ac evaporator, and all the duct work to get rid of odor.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to olbadger Send a message via Yahoo to olbadger

Hah! I had to trade off my Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition because mice chewed up wiring under the dash. They also chewed up and/or nested in the cabin filter. Warning lights were on, couldn't engage 4WD, other systems failed. The Toyota dealership tried to reset the system to factory default with no success. They insisted their shop diagnostics showed no faults. Stupid mechanics trusting a computer to do work they should know how to do.