Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Default Citristrip residue

I stripped 2 gunstocks with Citristrip, one walnut, the other beech laminate. On both, I applied a thick coating, waited an hour, and removed it with shop towels and mineral spirits. The problem is there is white residue remaining on the surface. I can wipe down the stocks again with mineral spirits and it removes them, but when it dries, it comes back. I've also tried denatured alcohol and acetone, both do the same. I'm thinking once I start oiling the stocks with a 50/50 turpentine, raw linseed oil mix, the problem should go away, but I was just curious on why this residue is reaming. Photos in the link below.

https://imgur.com/a/yOKV0
Old 02-11-2018, 03:16 PM

I have done dozens of stocks with citristrip, but I was them down with a garden hose upon completion. Also I usually let them set with the stripping solution for a couple of hours wash them down and re-apply and set for another couple of hours before washing them down for the final time. I am guessing the residue you show is the stripping action continuing.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 02-11-2018, 05:40 PM

I believe nf1e is correct. It didn't dissolve everything on the first application. Apply a second coat then scrub them down with a brush under warm running water. I don't think Citristip is a very strong stripper so you will probably need multiple applications. I did one of my Enfields recently that had some sort of lacquer on it and it took 3 applications in some areas to totally remove the stuff.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:05 PM

No too impressed with Citrisrtip. I have found better results with PP
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 AM

Sometimes you just need to use the right removal product.

http://www.citristrip.com/product/pa...per-after-wash

Lacking that you probably would have been better off using a water based stripper and killed two birds with one stone. Dent and ding removal or reduction and just as good cleaning with easier residue removal. You can actually still do that and it will remove the residue.

Last edited by lapriester; 02-12-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Sounds to me like you missed the scrubbing step and, therefore, missed removing all of the old finish.

I have used Citristrip on, perhaps, a dozen stocks. After soaking-then-scrubbing I washed them off (also with scrub brush action) with the garden hose. Never any white residue on any of them.

Note that the water-rinse approach would probably not be a good idea for a laminate stock.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:46 AM

Here are a couple of $35. stocks from CMP not to ugly to start. A little stripping, scrubbing and washing with the garden hose, some hand sanding and a finish of plain BLO.

As received.

Stripped and drying. I like to put a bit of painters tape over the stamps to protect them.

A couple of coats of BLO and they are starting to look pretty fair.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by nf1e; 02-12-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. These stocks just had a linseed oil finish prior to stripping. Larry, I saw the after wash product, but when looking at the ingredients, it's basically a mix of acetone and some alcohols, so I figured wiping with acetone/denatured alcohol would suffice. I did skip the scrubbing step as I thought wiping with shop towels would be enough to remove the oil finish. I'll do a second coat with a scrub brush. I also emailed Airstrip to explain the white residue, and they told me it's because the stripper disrupted the seal on the stocks and I would need a seal remover. I don't think this is correct as the stocks where not sealed to begin with.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:49 AM

Critri strip is a good product just slow. It takes a lot longer to work when compared to any of the alcohol based products. The advantage is no over whelming smell and its much better for you to use.

I usually apply CS and let it sit for an hr or so. I then scrub it with a aggressive pad or a putty knifes edge. That will knock a lot of the finish off. Then I re apply and let it sit for another hr for round 2.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:04 AM

you will NOT do damage to a gunstock by washing down with water to remove any paint stripper. its probably better than using solvents. i worked in the gun "industry" for 20 years (on the gunstock end of that profession) so., when i tell you water won't hurt a gunstock; i know from experience. i've finished several hundred gunstocks; most being high end shotguns. give the wood a couple days to dry afterwards.