Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 06:59 PM

Default Parkerizing Finishes

I know the metal has a lot to do with what the color will look like. My question is would someone care to share some DIY park jobs? From what I read, manganese will be dark, almost black and zinc will be really light grey. I want a dark grey. So I'm wandering if the color will vary by brand of solution too. For example, will Brownells brand manganese look different than lauer brand on the same piece of metal?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I know the metal has a lot to do with what the color will look like. My question is would someone care to share some DIY park jobs? From what I read, manganese will be dark, almost black and zinc will be really light grey. I want a dark grey. So I'm wandering if the color will vary by brand of solution too. For example, will Brownells brand manganese look different than lauer brand on the same piece of metal?
the color will vary by brand, by each individual piece of metal, by age of the solution, by concentration of the solution, and by temperature of the solution
Old 02-11-2018, 07:53 PM

A lot of variables. A buddy of mine uses the same park product I do(Alegeghny)and his finished product is award winning. Not kidding, he is contacted by leading collectors to do their stuff. The age of the solution; kind of like Old Oak barrels is to good whiskey.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANinMICH View Post
the color will vary by brand, by each individual piece of metal, by age of the solution, by concentration of the solution, and by temperature of the solution
Do you have any examples of how different brands look? Or do you know if lauer will be lighter/ darker than Brownells?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM

That's like asking if the sky will be bluer tomorrow. Variables.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:01 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANinMICH View Post

This. I use Lauer Manganese from Midway. Virgin solution will often produce a lighter charcoal color and the more you use it the darker it gets. The metalurgy also has a profound effect on the resulting color. I once did several sight bases and had them come out 3 different shades even when I used my well cured solution. My oldest solution actually started producing that greenish dark charcoal color that some people desire. It was about 3 years old.

Even if it comes out lighter than you like I found that a really quick dip into Caswell's stainless blackener will darken even the lightest Manganese finishes. I refinished several muzzle brakes removed from AR's that were destroyed by the fires in CA. They came out pretty light charcoal because of their metallurgy. After a quick dip in Caswell's they ended up as dark as a typical nitride AR barrel.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeff View Post
A lot of variables. A buddy of mine uses the same park product I do(Alegeghny)and his finished product is award winning. Not kidding, he is contacted by leading collectors to do their stuff. The age of the solution; kind of like Old Oak barrels is to good whiskey.
Do you have a picture of anything (a 1903a3 would be perfect, that's what I'm going to do) that he or you have parked using the solution you suggested?
Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Do you have a picture of anything (a 1903a3 would be perfect, that's what I'm going to do) that he or you have parked using the solution you suggested?
even if he did, the chances of you duplicating it are virtually zero
Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 AM

Does your buddy have website? Maybe I will contact him about possibly doing the job.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 AM

He won't mess with shipping. But there are other well known names that lots of folks use.