Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! I'm definitely a shooter as much as I am a collector, and as happy as I am to hear that it looks pretty good/original, I'm now worried even more about shooting it. Knowing my luck, the first time I fire it the stock will crack or something. Not sure if I should keep forever as a safe queen, or hold it for a bit and perhaps sell it on. I'm not sure how much one in this condition generally goes for anyways, anyone have any ideas there? In my research it seems to vary a lot of course.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts though, I'm definitely learning more about it all the time.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 PM

RM,
I just edited my post. After reading I could see where it would/could be mis-leading.
It read as if I was referring to the OP's carbine which was not my intention.
IMO Some of the books ruined plenty of carbines.
Also being considered Surplus years ago, the Sporters caused their share of damage.... unknowingly for some given the times back then.
Edit: Did that before refreshing the page and seeing your reply.

I only have 4 or 5 I shoot.
I'm lucky to own some 'Nice' carbines and they will stay that way.
My shooters....... Get the He!! shot out of them by me, family and friends.

Cheers,
Charlie-P777
Old 02-07-2019, 08:35 PM

Your Inland is still easy to find parts for, so shooting should not hurt it. Just don't let teenagers at it. You don't know what you will get back.
My wag on the price is $ 1,350 to $ 1,500. Maybe that is on the low side. Inland carbines are just a little cheaper than most of the others.

Last edited by 6 Ring; 02-07-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Herre1kh,
If you decide to shoot:

Have the Headspace checked so you know it's safe to shoot.
Buy a replacement stock and hand guard and save your current stock set safely.
Don't use Bubba's Reloads.
Try a mag and inspect your spent brass.
You can shoot it safely.

But if your heading out often....3-4 times a week, consider a shooter. Even Imports can make good shooters and save you the worries on denting the stocks or scratching the metal finish.

Around here I'd pay $1200-$1400+ But keep in mind I have 2 very much like yours. Someone who needs to fill that slot may be willing to go much higher.
On a GB auction you need bidders that know that 5,0 Inlands can be found with different makers Flip sights.
There were times it seems all you could find were Inlands in this serial range.
Lately not so many.
Try looking at (advanced completed sold) auctions on GB for Inland carbines. You'll get an idea of what good, gooder and goodest carbines are selling for... (Fees not shown).

If mine,
I'd shoot to feel the rush and enjoy the smile. Then clean it up spotless and set aside. It will increase in value... no doubts.
Then buy a shooter. All in all with what you paid for this one and what it's worth, that difference will buy you a shooter. Note: If you sell it, You WILL regret it down the road.

If your not a collector sell it and buy 2 good mix master shooters.
Just keep in mind you don't come across carbines this nice very often.
For another group of opinions post over on Milsurps M1/M2 carbine forum.

As always your call. Good Luck with your decision and Thx for sharing it with us.

Charlie-P777
Old 02-08-2019, 05:31 PM

Nice carbine! The Inlands with the leftover flip sights are an interesting group. Some have been reported with an oval mark or punch mark on the top flat portion of the receiver just in front of the rear sight (see CCNL 361-2). There was no pictures showing this area on your carbine. Could you advise whether there is such a mark on your carbine?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:27 PM

Default nice

well you got benefit of the unknowing who sold it to the gunshop plus the ignorance of the gunshop owner as to value of these gems--great catch!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 PM

@Newscotlander I can confirm that there is what looks to be a small punch mark on the top of the receiver forward of the rear sight. I’ve included another photo of this at the end of the album in the original post.

@wtmr Thanks! I definitely lucked out on this one. I believe the shop actually got it in an estate sale and only priced it 99 over cost...
Old 02-08-2019, 08:13 PM

Herre
The punch mark you took a picture of, is the firing proof on the curved part of the receiver. What Newscotlander was referring to would be on the flat area just in front of the flip rear sight.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanks for clarifying 6 Ring. Learning more all the time! I checked at the flat near the sight and didnít see any markings there.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Thanks

Tags
1944, inland, m1 carbine, non-refurb, original