Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 02:47 PM

Default Just back from the South Store.

Nothing really new to report. I was the second one in due to sitting in Atlanta traffic for 45 minutes, which is not a big deal since it's not a contest to me to be first in line. There were maybe most of one rack of SA field grades, most of a rack of HRA field grades, and a full rack of SA Specials. I was hoping to pick up several rifles, and left with a nice SA Special (they were all nice), and two SA field grades that had decent barrels. One had a IHC bolt, and the other had a few WRA parts. They will be used for trade bait.
I met a nice guy from San Antonio, Big_Red, who was buying several SA's as an agent. He spent a lot of time selecting them and was on the phone taking photos and speaking with folks he was selecting rifles for. Those folks got a deal for a suggested donation of $10 to help him out with gas money. Leon was unable to replenish the racks, as the computer system was down. No NICS checks etc.
I saw a lot of various grade drill rifles, Daisy brand drill rifles with black plastic stocks that look like '03's, a 1/2 rack of Daily air rifles, two NM rifles, and a few snipers.
There were few bayonets out compared to the past, and we may have seen the end of rusty M1 Carbine mags as maybe there were 1/3 of a small box left. There were some .22 barreled receivers, but I really didn't pay close attention to them.
Forgive me If I forgot something. I'm a little punchy after driving 540 miles and waking up at 4:00 in the morning to leave.

Last edited by GeeBee; 05-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Rob (Big Red) picked out a 2.1 and 5.4 SA field grades for me. Both rebuilds with USGI wood.

He went above and beyond to help us out.

Wish I could have been there even with the short selection.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Big Red selected a 6 digit SAFG for me too. I hope to repay this for other members later this year. I love how members of this forum are quick to help each other out. It really is a great community!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 PM

I'm so excited for what Rob has for me and my brother! A 6-digit SA and a 4.7 HRA! WOOO!!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Additional store report

Good evening GeeBee. I was going to post a thread with many of the same observations, so I'll just piggy-back on yours.
First off, it was a pleasure meeting you and talking with you in the cathedral of drill rifles.
And thank you sir for your assistance as I had a full day ahead of me.

Speaking of being punchy, unforeseen circumstances delayed my trip such that I arrived the hotel in Oxford at 0300. Grabbed a power nap, then at the store at 0745.
Only 3 other customers there. Leon and Mike were there...talked with them for a while. As I started looking over rifles, Orest came in and mentioned they were upgrading the OS on their computers, which meant, as GeeBee stated, no automated NICS, no inventory update, and no shipping processing. Ladies in the back we're doing their best to hand-jam what they could, but I'm sure it wasn't much compared to having the computers up.
People need to think about those kinds of things when they start getting antsy because their item hasn't processed/shipped.

On a related note, it's amazing the amount of calls they get for stuff like the IHCs. Not that we don't already have a criminally absurd amount of threads/posts about the IHCs, but it's like the deer-hunting analogy how for every deer you see, there are 10 or more you don't see. Similar here...I was there all-day, last customer to leave. I'd say I spent roughly 30% of the day at the counter. During just that time where I personally witnessed it, 6 times someone called the counter phone asking if IHCs were available and when told no, wanted to know when.
Leon displayed his usual "charm" when he took the calls!

No telling how many more are received at the main bldg or to the CS folks, or how many e-mails are sent. Hope they sell them soon simply so the buffoonery ends. But, I know...wishful thinking...Carbines are next.

When the store opened, here's a run-down of what they had, with only a handful of customers:

1. 12 SA FGs. Found several for the members I was assisting. Some in very good SG-like condition...all gone in an hour. I was afraid I was going to have to make some bad news calls, but around 1100, they brought out a small cart of 10 more and was able to find enough for everyone. Nothing more.
A few notables...found 2 six-digits, 1 five-digit, several other WWII receivers, a couple with matching barrels. Several rebuilds...one with open-box SA over B, another with boxed OG (Ogden). Most readings were 3/3 to 3+/4 (ME/TE).

End of day there were 3 left.

2. 18 HRA FGs. These were noticeably in lesser shape than the SAs. Found one with a broken trigger guard and another with an op-rod that would jump track just pulling it back...turned both back in as to save headaches down the road for all involved parties. ME/TE averaged 3+/5.
Did find a few decent/interesting ones. One was a RRAD rebuild with markings on receiver legs, but worst mismatched stock & hand guards of any rifle there.
Most interesting find was a 4.76 with 5/54 barrel and a SA/GAW stock. Found another HRA also with SA/GAW that a store customer bought.

End of day there were 12 left.

3. CMP Specials. Ok, this has been the subject of much confusion lately. What they have are CMP Specials...NOT Service Grade Specials. Mike, Leon and Melody all confirmed they have not had SGSs in several months and they were wondering why people were saying that.
They had a whole rack of SA CMP Specials in .30-06 (RM1SPECIAL), and a whole rack of HRA CMP Specials in .308 (RM1308SPCLHRA).
These are the rifles that are refurbished with new Criterion barrels and new CMP stocks.
Mike said they intend to have SGSs again, but not sure when as the current SG backlog is the focus now.

4. Speaking of...no SGs. I'm reluctant to pass this on so as not to wind up the CMP-sky-is-falling chicken littles and/or the Orest groupies, but at least short-term there is no plan to put SGs on the floor so they can alleviate the mail-order back-log for both SAs & HRAs, which will be good news for those waiting. They are even shipping SGs from the North Store.
Note that this isn't permanent...at least until they relieve that back-log.

And before anyone starts gnashing teeth and wailing; yes, some of the afore-mentioned rifles vary in listing of availability on the CMP Sales page. Remember, when they have just a small amount, they put them in the stores as there aren't to satisfy mail orders.

Finally, it is NOT helping anything that people are continuing to place mail orders for rifles not available, and even listed as such (or not at all) on the Sales page!

5. Drill rifles!!! If you are in need of a drill rifle, you are in luck!! They had 2 whole rows of presentation drill rifles @ $500 a pop. More racks of lesser grade drill rifles, And several racks of the Daisy drill rifles that look like 1903s GeeBee mentioned.
I was too busy to peruse the drill rifles, but did notice a few with original single slot gas screws. I'll reserve comment about the price...only thing I'll say is I don't understand why they refinish them...seeing the single-slot screws completely refinished made me wonder how many potential original parts are being re-finished.

6. After picking out one SG M1C, there is exactly one SG and one FG M1C left.

7. Still a rack of M1Ds....didn't have time to look at them. Will do so tomorrow.

8. As GeeBee stated, a handful of Daisy air rifles.

9. Lots of 1903 & M1 barrels, condition unknown. Remaining carbine mags are nothing but rust. Used en-blocs are gone both e-store and in store.

10. Bayonets. Lots 10" bayos, most 1905E1s, rest M1s. However, all but a couple are Greek returns with the black coating and Greek scabbards.
Two M1905 16" bayos...one a SA, other an Oneida. Finish is ok, but blades are rounded with nicks in the blade. No scabbard. Couple of M5A1s....rough shape and lots of Cosmo...could only make out manufacturer on one...MIL-PAR.

11. Still some ammo on a pallet as you walk in, most 7.62. However, they had some interesting WWII cans in very rough shape with 250 rounds of cloth-belted (with starter) of British '52 & '53 corrosive M2 ball. Some nice empty ammo boxes.

Some other minor stuff not worth covering.
Met some good people despite being busy. Met these two older gentlemen who had each purchased a CMP Special and a few drill rifles. Good thing the system was down as they were debating staying the night. They asked me and I convinced them to ship as it would save them a ton in taxes. Worked out better as they were travelling with their wives and making an un-scheduled stop was bad enough, let alone a higher bill, and stashing about 5 rifles apiece in the motor home!!
One of the gentleman was a Purple Heart recipient. Safe travels to you two fine people.

Well, I took pics but can't get Photobucket to upload them via my iPhone. If someone wants to post them for me, let me know and I can e-mail them to you.

Glad to help you fellas out.
Time to get caught up on shut-eye...volunteering most of the day tomorrow.

Regards,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544

Last edited by Big_Red; 05-22-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 PM

Default Thanks

Big Red,
I can't thank you enough for acting as an agent for me as well as others. I can't wait to see the big white truck pull up with the package.
We are in your debt.
Charlie
Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlietuna04 View Post
Big Red,
I can't thank you enough for acting as an agent for me as well as others. I can't wait to see the big white truck pull up with the package.
We are in your debt.
Charlie

I definitely concur. I asked Rob for help picking out one bayonet, possibly two if they looked good. I sent along my CA licenses almost as an afterthought just in case there were some decent FGs available. Rob not only found me a good bayonet, but also two nice field grades! One SA 4.3 with a 4/63 barrel (ME 2 / TE 3) wearing a RRAD stock and another SA 1.9 with a 1/52 HRA barrel (ME 2 / TE 3).

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...sabcac937.jpeg

I wasn't expecting to even get one rifle, let alone two. Thanks again Rob!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM

Great post, probably the most comprehensive store report in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
3. CMP Specials. Ok, this has been the subject of much confusion lately. What they have are CMP Specials...NOT Service Grade Specials. Mike, Leon and Melody all confirmed they have not had SGSs in several months and they were wondering why people were saying that.
Well, I know what I saw last month at the store, and they were SA SGSs. I know what I heard over the phone last month when I called the store, and it was "Service Grade Specials." I don't know how to explain the discrepancy between what the staff is now saying and what I witnessed and heard, but there ya go. Rack replenishers from the grassy knoll. My last mention of this subject is now over.

Glad to see that the end is near for decent bayos, every time I visit the store I find an excuse to buy another.

It appears that barrel condition for field grades has diminished over the past few months. As recent as March, it was not difficult to find a field grade at the South Store reading 1.5/3. I think that the grading of rifles is reverting back to the actual grade descriptions listed on the Sales page.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:06 AM

Sounds like the pickins was fairly good (yesterday),
I plan to go down Saturday morning and am feeling a little apprehensive about what might be left there.

Oh well, I have never been disappointed on a trip down and I don't expect this to be my first time. Maybe Lean or Jerremy will bring oput a fresh rack

not that Rob, the other one,
Rob
Old 05-23-2014, 08:28 AM

Wish I was going with you rob

SSgt
=Operation Iraqi Freedom 2010=