Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Jakeroub Jakeroub is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mass
Posts: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Larry . . . .

Are you saying the receiver backed-off a mite during the night . . . by ITSELF!!??
Or maybe he was consuming some adult beverages while changing barrels? Sorry lapriester, couldn't resist.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Det. Jason 714 Det. Jason 714 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 6,669
Default Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
Or maybe he was consuming some adult beverages while changing barrels? Sorry lapriester, couldn't resist.
That is a very important step in the process.
__________________
"Let Freedom PING!"
Over 70 plus Positive feedbacks before removal of Itrader.
RIP Itrader 2/24/14 you are not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-19-2019, 10:28 PM
lapriester lapriester is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cobb, N California
Posts: 16,414
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Larry . . . .

Are you saying the receiver backed-off a mite during the night . . . by ITSELF!!??
As odd as it may seem, I've had it happen more than once. 4 times to be exact, all with Criterion barrels that took some serious work to achieve initial index. It does happen. Don't believe it? I have no reason to lie about it. I've seen several oddities in the many rifles I've assembled. This was just one. Others have described this exact phenomenon so I'm not alone.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:04 AM
la Fiere la Fiere is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern California - SF peninsula
Posts: 1,906
Default

Not to be nit-picky, but the OP says he had to move the rear sight all the way to the left. If that's the case then the barrel would have had to be over-indexed (too tight).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-20-2019, 06:28 AM
JimF JimF is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
. . . . . It does happen. Don't believe it? I have no reason to lie about it. . . . .
Larry . . . I believe you, alright . . . .

It’s just that, the way you phrased it, it sounded comical to me . . . .

My first thought upon reading that, was, “I guess the famous ground-shaking earthquakes that California is so famous for, must have had something to do with the receiver backing off!”

BTW, Larry . . . .
I’m about to try one of your “extra-lite” loads you mentioned a while back.
__________________
--Jim
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 AM
4gun-drill 4gun-drill is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by la Fiere View Post
Not to be nit-picky, but the OP says he had to move the rear sight all the way to the left. If that's the case then the barrel would have had to be over-indexed (too tight).
Exactly!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-20-2019, 12:47 PM
lapriester lapriester is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cobb, N California
Posts: 16,414
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by la Fiere View Post
Not to be nit-picky, but the OP says he had to move the rear sight all the way to the left. If that's the case then the barrel would have had to be over-indexed (too tight).
Oops, you're right. Old fart syndrome strikes again.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-20-2019, 03:01 PM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,915
Default

Start fresh
Tighten gas plug, make sure trigger guard is fully latched and sights are not loose.
Center the front sight and rear sight windage.
8 clicks up for elevation. 25 yards shoot 3 rounds into the berm then 5 rounds on paper aiming at a 2" black bull. Your choice of hold. Find center of your group and adjust front sight as needed.
Then see how far your off. ....
At 25 yards .261" is 1 moa.

If you want a indication of how much you need to move the sights.
Take how much correction you need Multiply by sight radius then devide by distance in inches.= Correction needed.

Ex: your group is 2" off sight radius is 24.75" ( measure from rear of rear sight to rear of front sight) then devide by distance in inches. 25 yards 900"

2x24.75=49.5÷900=.055" drift your front sight . 055"

once your close, fine tune at 100....or call it close enough and use your rear sight for final zero

Last edited by mac1911; 11-20-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-20-2019, 05:19 PM
CatBacker88 CatBacker88 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Start fresh
Tighten gas plug, make sure trigger guard is fully latched and sights are not loose.
Center the front sight and rear sight windage.
8 clicks up for elevation. 25 yards shoot 3 rounds into the berm then 5 rounds on paper aiming at a 2" black bull. Your choice of hold. Find center of your group and adjust front sight as needed.
Then see how far your off. ....
At 25 yards .261" is 1 moa.

If you want a indication of how much you need to move the sights.
Take how much correction you need Multiply by sight radius then devide by distance in inches.= Correction needed.

Ex: your group is 2" off sight radius is 24.75" ( measure from rear of rear sight to rear of front sight) then divide by distance in inches. 25 yards 900"

2x24.75=49.5÷900=.055" drift your front sight . 055"

once your close, fine tune at 100....or call it close enough and use your rear sight for final zero
Sounds like excellent advice. Too bad there aren't any index marks on that front sight, but I'll give it a try!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-20-2019, 05:53 PM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBacker88 View Post
Sounds like excellent advice. Too bad there aren't any index marks on that front sight, but I'll give it a try!
Cheap digital caliper will do. Or draw a few pencil marks with a nice shape pencil.

You can also put a piece of masking tape across the rear sight hash marks rub a pencil across to transfer the marks to the tape. Then place the tape on the front sight base and make a reference mark on the sight. Move as needed.

Last edited by mac1911; 11-22-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.