Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Larry . . . .

Are you saying the receiver backed-off a mite during the night . . . by ITSELF!!??
Or maybe he was consuming some adult beverages while changing barrels? Sorry lapriester, couldn't resist.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:09 PM

Default Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
Or maybe he was consuming some adult beverages while changing barrels? Sorry lapriester, couldn't resist.
That is a very important step in the process.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:28 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Larry . . . .

Are you saying the receiver backed-off a mite during the night . . . by ITSELF!!??
As odd as it may seem, I've had it happen more than once. 4 times to be exact, all with Criterion barrels that took some serious work to achieve initial index. It does happen. Don't believe it? I have no reason to lie about it. I've seen several oddities in the many rifles I've assembled. This was just one. Others have described this exact phenomenon so I'm not alone.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:04 AM

Not to be nit-picky, but the OP says he had to move the rear sight all the way to the left. If that's the case then the barrel would have had to be over-indexed (too tight).
Old 11-20-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
. . . . . It does happen. Don't believe it? I have no reason to lie about it. . . . .
Larry . . . I believe you, alright . . . .

It’s just that, the way you phrased it, it sounded comical to me . . . .

My first thought upon reading that, was, “I guess the famous ground-shaking earthquakes that California is so famous for, must have had something to do with the receiver backing off!”

BTW, Larry . . . .
I’m about to try one of your “extra-lite” loads you mentioned a while back.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la Fiere View Post
Not to be nit-picky, but the OP says he had to move the rear sight all the way to the left. If that's the case then the barrel would have had to be over-indexed (too tight).
Exactly!
Old 11-20-2019, 12:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by la Fiere View Post
Oops, you're right. Old fart syndrome strikes again.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:01 PM

Start fresh
Tighten gas plug, make sure trigger guard is fully latched and sights are not loose.
Center the front sight and rear sight windage.
8 clicks up for elevation. 25 yards shoot 3 rounds into the berm then 5 rounds on paper aiming at a 2" black bull. Your choice of hold. Find center of your group and adjust front sight as needed.
Then see how far your off. ....
At 25 yards .261" is 1 moa.

If you want a indication of how much you need to move the sights.
Take how much correction you need Multiply by sight radius then devide by distance in inches.= Correction needed.

Ex: your group is 2" off sight radius is 24.75" ( measure from rear of rear sight to rear of front sight) then devide by distance in inches. 25 yards 900"

2x24.75=49.5÷900=.055" drift your front sight . 055"

once your close, fine tune at 100....or call it close enough and use your rear sight for final zero

Last edited by mac1911; 11-20-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Start fresh
Tighten gas plug, make sure trigger guard is fully latched and sights are not loose.
Center the front sight and rear sight windage.
8 clicks up for elevation. 25 yards shoot 3 rounds into the berm then 5 rounds on paper aiming at a 2" black bull. Your choice of hold. Find center of your group and adjust front sight as needed.
Then see how far your off. ....
At 25 yards .261" is 1 moa.

If you want a indication of how much you need to move the sights.
Take how much correction you need Multiply by sight radius then devide by distance in inches.= Correction needed.

Ex: your group is 2" off sight radius is 24.75" ( measure from rear of rear sight to rear of front sight) then divide by distance in inches. 25 yards 900"

2x24.75=49.5÷900=.055" drift your front sight . 055"

once your close, fine tune at 100....or call it close enough and use your rear sight for final zero
Sounds like excellent advice. Too bad there aren't any index marks on that front sight, but I'll give it a try!
Old 11-20-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBacker88 View Post
Sounds like excellent advice. Too bad there aren't any index marks on that front sight, but I'll give it a try!
Cheap digital caliper will do. Or draw a few pencil marks with a nice shape pencil.

You can also put a piece of masking tape across the rear sight hash marks rub a pencil across to transfer the marks to the tape. Then place the tape on the front sight base and make a reference mark on the sight. Move as needed.

Last edited by mac1911; 11-22-2019 at 08:04 PM.