Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 04:26 PM

Default M1 carbine sale to New York resident

I've seen conflicting information regarding sales and possession of a C&R M1 carbine. I have read that C&R's are not included in the NY State SAFE Act. However seems to be some confusion in this area. My understanding is if the M1 carbine had no bayonet lug the sale would be legal for New York. If true could CMP remove the lug prior to sale? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2019, 11:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy Send a message via Yahoo to muddy
Default M1 Carbines in NY

Well I have seen 3 of our local gun shops here in WNY selling old carbines within the last year. Expensive but nice. No problems. They still wore the type 3 bands too. I think to be complaint it is best to either switch to a type 1 or 2 band or simply file off the bayonet locking lugs from a type 3 band so none can be mounted. And only use 5 or 10 round mags. 15 violates the Safe Act. 2 weeks ago there was a Carbine Championship at the local club in Rochester so lots of guys are still shooting them at least upstate. Buy one, you'll like it!
Old 11-22-2019, 07:42 AM

it would not be wise to get one until you read and understand the law yourself. If you rely on someone else's interpretation, you risk that interpretation being wrong.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:00 AM

Contact the NY State Police, they are the ones involved in the Safe Act through the Governor's office. They post the rules on their web site.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Well I have seen 3 of our local gun shops here in WNY selling old carbines within the last year. Expensive but nice. No problems. They still wore the type 3 bands too. I think to be complaint it is best to either switch to a type 1 or 2 band or simply file off the bayonet locking lugs from a type 3 band so none can be mounted. And only use 5 or 10 round mags. 15 violates the Safe Act. 2 weeks ago there was a Carbine Championship at the local club in Rochester so lots of guys are still shooting them at least upstate. Buy one, you'll like it!
Thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
Contact the NY State Police, they are the ones involved in the Safe Act through the Governor's office. They post the rules on their web site.
Most of the confusion is from the NY State police. The web site is poorly written and usually well behind on updates to the SAFE Act.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeQ View Post
Most of the confusion is from the NY State police. The web site is poorly written and usually well behind on updates to the SAFE Act.
I know, but they are they ones who were charged with drawing it up and running it. The official web site states that the M1 Carbine falls under the banned list as it is a semi-automatic rifle, with a detachable magazine and has a bayonet mount. It is not specifically named as banned, but falls into that category due to having both a detachable magazine and a bayonet mount. If the bayonet mount is not present, it is no longer considered banned.

Not all juristictions enforce the Safe Act, when I lived in upstate NY a while ago, the local police were not enforcing the law strictly, however, if the State Police were involved, all bets were off.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
I know, but they are they ones who were charged with drawing it up and running it. The official web site states that the M1 Carbine falls under the banned list as it is a semi-automatic rifle, with a detachable magazine and has a bayonet mount. It is not specifically named as banned, but falls into that category due to having both a detachable magazine and a bayonet mount. If the bayonet mount is not present, it is no longer considered banned.

Not all juristictions enforce the Safe Act, when I lived in upstate NY a while ago, the local police were not enforcing the law strictly, however, if the State Police were involved, all bets were off.

Good luck.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 08:26 PM

Joe,
With all the replies I do not believe you had your question answered. You asked if the CMP will ship a carbine to NY without the bayonet lug. The answer is probably yes, if you request it. Or they can grind off the tabs on the lug so a bayonet can not be attached. They may have to send it to a FFL to ensure compliance with the law. As others have stated you can still purchase a carbine in NY with or without the lug depending on who is selling it. Regards,Eddie
Old 11-22-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
Joe,
With all the replies I do not believe you had your question answered. You asked if the CMP will ship a carbine to NY without the bayonet lug. The answer is probably yes, if you request it. Or they can grind off the tabs on the lug so a bayonet can not be attached. They may have to send it to a FFL to ensure compliance with the law. As others have stated you can still purchase a carbine in NY with or without the lug depending on who is selling it. Regards,Eddie
Thanks hoping CMP reply's when they have an answer