Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate19 View Post
Welcome to the forum, I also shoot at the Manatee County Gun Club. I live in Bradenton . I do not spend much time on the big range but do shoot twice a month with my Dad in the 22 rim fire matches. Good luck and maybe see ya at the range sometime.Tom

Croom is a nice place spent many weekends riding dirt bikes in the woods there.
Tom

I'll look for you on the rimfire range...

p.s. we probably ran around each other out at croom. my son and i were weekend visitors for years...
Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM

I will even let you take out my WWII SA. Been dying to know how it shoots
Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnutz2 View Post
I don't, thats the problem with breaking your spine, I can walk but shooting is no longer an option. I collect LOL
gunnutz2;

I can sympathize and feel for ya man. I had to have back surgery in Sept 2005. My 4 lower vertebrae were fused and then they installed 4 Titanium rods w/8 Titanium screws, 4 on each side, screwed into the vertebrae. This of course leaves me out of "toe touching" competition . Just to mow the lawns leaves me stove up for several days, and if it weren't for my meds I couldn't cope anymore. But then with the meds, if taken in a certain combination, I'm too sedated and then I'm no good for several days . But, at least I'm still vertical.

Actually I can do Ok at the bench if I take a good break and do some stretching. But to do prone of kneeling, uh uh. There's no way.

All you youngsters listen up, "Take very good care of your backs". Learn to lift properly, take it easy while playing sports. Football was the beginning of my downfall. Take it from one who's been down that road, so that you may escape the end results that I came to.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 05-12-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.S. Mantooth Jr. View Post
gunnutz2;

I can sympathize and feel for ya man. I had to have back surgery in Sept 2005. My 4 lower vertebrae were fused and then they installed 4 Titanium rods w/8 Titanium screws, 4 on each side, screwed into the vertebrae. This of course leaves me out of "toe touching" competition . Just to mow the lawns leaves me stove up for several days, and if it weren't for my meds I couldn't cope anymore. But then with the meds, if taken in a certain combination, I'm too sedated and then I'm no good for several days . But, at least I'm still vertical.

Actually I can do Ok at the bench if I take a good break and do some stretching. But to do prone of kneeling, uh uh. There's no way.

All you youngsters listen up, "Take very good care of your backs". Learn to lift properly, take it easy while playing sports. Football was the beginning of my downfall. Take it from one who's been down that road, so that you may escape the end results that I came to.
your lucky, LOL you only got the Lumbar spine, when the bridge fell on me it took lumbar and cervical with it. If I were to pick up another rifle and fire it , it could very well be the last thing i fire. my spinal cord is very close to being crushed at the c4-5 level. I have been told by my neurosurgeon if I roll over in bed the wrong way I could finish the job
Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnutz2 View Post
your lucky, LOL you only got the Lumbar spine, when the bridge fell on me it took lumbar and cervical with it. If I were to pick up another rifle and fire it , it could very well be the last thing i fire. my spinal cord is very close to being crushed at the c4-5 level. I have been told by my neurosurgeon if I roll over in bed the wrong way I could finish the job
gunnutz2;

I guess I am very fortunate then. Since my back surgery, medical science has advanced in many areas. One of them was the development of artificial disc's, too late to help me out in that area.

My thanks go to the many people that donate their bodies to medical science. I have in between my vertebrae, disc's that were cut from a cadaver leg bone.

Perhaps in the near future these medical scientists will come up with something suitable for your case.

My best to you and yours.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 05-12-2011, 10:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jaw1947

Been to Manatee once with the Garand and muzzle loader at 200 yds.
Want to do an Appleseed sometime there when the weather is cooler.
Manatee is a 65 mile drive for me.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:46 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their wisdom and kind words. In the week or so I've been on the forum I've learned so much.

Who would have known my M1917 likes 168 grain bullets? Just one of the many tidbits I've picked up.

It's the wealth of information that you all share that makes this site awesome.

Thanks again, and check out my new Garand!

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=S6302707.jpg

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=S6302705.jpg

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=S6302696.jpg
Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 PM

good looking rifle, whats with the side sling?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jaw1947

Great looking rifle. Think the Greeks added the side swivel. Guess they carried while mounted on horse or cycle. What's next on your list?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:12 PM

interesting, did not know that