Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 PM

Default Another California Shooter

Hello everyone!
Im Joe from Southern California. I just put in an order for a RM1SASSP Service Grade Springfield Special M1. I was back and forth on which rifle to buy but after reading through all the informative forums I decided on this one. Next will be a SA SG.
As soon I receive my gun Ill post pics in the M1 Garand section.
I mainly bought this gun for my 1 1/2 year old son. (Thats what I told my wife
But seriously I figured I have enough guns for myself, so Ill get him started and as soon as its practical Ill get him to shoot and appreciate our gun culture and history.
I agree with some of the comments here about California being a hard state to be pro-gun. But just going to the local ranges and gun clubs I see that there are plenty of us out here to support the cause. We also have CalGuns.net and the CRPA (a CMP affiliate club) to help out.

Take care.
Joe
Old 05-21-2010, 08:42 PM

Default Hey Joe what do you know.

Welcome aboard fellow Cali gun guy.

My last 2 guns from CMP have been SG SA and I couldn't be happier. Feel safe with your purchase even though you can't see it until it arrives at your door.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Welcome, Joe. I'm another new Calif. (Torrance area) member and recently took delivery of a RM1 Special. I'm thrilled with it. Nice not to have to have a flash supressor to worry about here in CA being 'legal' or not (I had to change it on my M1A to be "legal" here). I shoot at Burro Canyon near Azusa.
I am also introducing younger people to the sport...a bit older than your lad!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome.
Im looking forward to receiving the rifle. Now shooting it is another matter...do you know anywhere here in So. California that sells milsurp ammo? I may have to mail order.

Joe
Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bold lancer View Post
Welcome, Joe. I'm another new Calif. (Torrance area) member and recently took delivery of a RM1 Special. I'm thrilled with it. Nice not to have to have a flash supressor to worry about here in CA being 'legal' or not (I had to change it on my M1A to be "legal" here). I shoot at Burro Canyon near Azusa.
I am also introducing younger people to the sport...a bit older than your lad!
You're like me...want to shoot it right away (I'm in SoCal), but Mil Surplus is very scarce here at any retail shop/gun store. CMP Greek M2 ball is magnetic and banned at many SoCal shooting ranges. You can't shoot civilian hunting ammo (too hot for our rifles). Best bet for quick access is to try and find Federal American Eagle, specifically formulated for the M1 Garand (says so on the box), but expensive compared to surplus M2 ball (about $20/box)...start Googling for mail order ammo. I was in a Calif 'Big-5' sporting goods store today and they said that they sell regular 'hunting' 30-06 to M1 Garand owner's all the time. I wouldn't want those rifles! The guy behind the counter didn't have a clue about the M1 gas system requirements.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bold lancer View Post
You're like me...want to shoot it right away (I'm in SoCal), but Mil Surplus is very scarce here at any retail shop/gun store. CMP Greek M2 ball is magnetic and banned at many SoCal shooting ranges. You can't shoot civilian hunting ammo (too hot for our rifles). Best bet for quick access is to try and find Federal American Eagle, specifically formulated for the M1 Garand (says so on the box), but expensive compared to surplus M2 ball (about $20/box)...start Googling for mail order ammo. I was in a Calif 'Big-5' sporting goods store today and they said that they sell regular 'hunting' 30-06 to M1 Garand owner's all the time. I wouldn't want those rifles! The guy behind the counter didn't have a clue about the M1 gas system requirements.
Thanks Ill try to look for that Federal ammo.
Ill probably buy some of the Greek stuff too. I shoot at Jaw Bone canyon near Mojave sometimes. They dont care if the ammo is magnetic, radioactive, explosive or anything else
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:06 PM

Welcome aboard from north of the Golden Gate. Thanks for helping to keep shooting sports alive in our state and the nation.

Remember the motto of California shooters: "When it's too tough for everyone else, it's just right for us."
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Remember the motto of California shooters: "When it's too tough for everyone else, it's just right for us."

Thats right...and its getting tougher it seems.
Thanks again for the good words.
Im really looking forward to the arrival of my M1. I sent the forms off a couple weeks ago and havent heard anything yet.
Ill be patient though...
Joe
Old 08-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_TSGT View Post
Hello everyone!
Im Joe from Southern California. I just put in an order for a RM1SASSP Service Grade Springfield Special M1. I was back and forth on which rifle to buy but after reading through all the informative forums I decided on this one. Next will be a SA SG.
As soon I receive my gun Ill post pics in the M1 Garand section.
I mainly bought this gun for my 1 1/2 year old son. (Thats what I told my wife
But seriously I figured I have enough guns for myself, so Ill get him started and as soon as its practical Ill get him to shoot and appreciate our gun culture and history.
I agree with some of the comments here about California being a hard state to be pro-gun. But just going to the local ranges and gun clubs I see that there are plenty of us out here to support the cause. We also have CalGuns.net and the CRPA (a CMP affiliate club) to help out.

Take care.
Joe
I spent 4 yrs in SAC and a lot of years in LE if you want some reloading data for your M1 send me a good email address & I'll email it to you ,you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Welcome to the forum..........I'm in Sac and know all about the California feelings about firearms.....got my M1 the first of the month.........you'll love yours when it arrives..........