Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

You can also check to see if any forum members here have any of the non magnetic hxp for sale the exact year or 2 that it was made escapes me, i have several cans of it buried somewhere in my stock pile if i can get the exact date i'll post it, im thinking 64-65 but thats just from memory YOU CAN ALSO FIND SOME SOUTH KOREAN 30-06 WITH THE ps HEADSTAMP IT IS NONCORROSIVE AND NON MAGNETIC

Last edited by deputy85; 08-01-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bold lancer View Post
You're like me...want to shoot it right away (I'm in SoCal), but Mil Surplus is very scarce here at any retail shop/gun store. CMP Greek M2 ball is magnetic and banned at many SoCal shooting ranges. You can't shoot civilian hunting ammo (too hot for our rifles). Best bet for quick access is to try and find Federal American Eagle, specifically formulated for the M1 Garand (says so on the box), but expensive compared to surplus M2 ball (about $20/box)...start Googling for mail order ammo. I was in a Calif 'Big-5' sporting goods store today and they said that they sell regular 'hunting' 30-06 to M1 Garand owner's all the time. I wouldn't want those rifles! The guy behind the counter didn't have a clue about the M1 gas system requirements.
those garands were in bad shape when I looked them over
Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy85 View Post
You can also check to see if any forum members here have any of the non magnetic hxp for sale the exact year or 2 that it was made escapes me, i have several cans of it buried somewhere in my stock pile if i can get the exact date i'll post it, im thinking 64-65 but thats just from memory YOU CAN ALSO FIND SOME SOUTH KOREAN 30-06 WITH THE ps HEADSTAMP IT IS NONCORROSIVE AND NON MAGNETIC
reload your own for used reloading parts go to www.ebay.com and for new parts and supplies try www.midwayusa or www.dillonprecision.com or www.brownells.com, www.rcbs.com or www.hornaday.com to name a few suppliers

Last edited by scr83jp; 08-04-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_TSGT View Post
Thats right...and its getting tougher it seems.
Thanks again for the good words.
Im really looking forward to the arrival of my M1. I sent the forms off a couple weeks ago and havent heard anything yet.
Ill be patient though...
Joe
Welcome Joe,
I live in North Cal just east of Oakland. I was at the Glendale gunshow and purchased the American Eagle 30-06 ammo, 20rds. for $18.95. I bought 3 boxes and checked it in when I flew back last weekend to Oakland. Havent fired the rifle yet. On July 23 I went to the north store and got a Correct grade Garand. What a beauty!
I plan to visit the south store within the next 3 months and get another one plus one of the Specail grades.. I just joined this site too and alot of stuff that is very helpful and especially from other members.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkydau View Post
Welcome Joe,
I live in North Cal just east of Oakland. I was at the Glendale gunshow and purchased the American Eagle 30-06 ammo, 20rds. for $18.95. I bought 3 boxes and checked it in when I flew back last weekend to Oakland. Havent fired the rifle yet. On July 23 I went to the north store and got a Correct grade Garand. What a beauty!
I plan to visit the south store within the next 3 months and get another one plus one of the Specail grades.. I just joined this site too and alot of stuff that is very helpful and especially from other members.
I forgot to mention when at the Glendale gunshow I had asked for ammo for the Garand that was FMJ and they pointed to a vendor who had a large table and the American Eagles says on the box, FMJ,M1 Garand, 30-06, 150grain.
I am thinking about the Greek ammo CMP sells.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkydau View Post
I forgot to mention when at the Glendale gunshow I had asked for ammo for the Garand that was FMJ and they pointed to a vendor who had a large table and the American Eagles says on the box, FMJ,M1 Garand, 30-06, 150grain.
I am thinking about the Greek ammo CMP sells.
If you want an article from the 3/86 american rifleman reloading for the m1 rifle with lots of data on powders, brass,primers,bullets from 150gr thru 250gr send me a good email address and I'll email it to you.I'm in calif. for reloading used parts check out ebay.com for nosler seconds in bullets check out shooters pro shop and my favorite on line store www.midwayusa.com for ammo and reloading ,my press is a Dillon RL550B

Last edited by scr83jp; 08-16-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 AM

I bought a few cans of the Greek ammo but I havent opened them yet. I dont think I will because Ive been shooting at "A Place to Shoot" in Santa Clarita and they say no magnetic stuff.
I bought one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=777146 adjustable gas plug so I can shoot off the shelf ammo.
BUT I havent installed it...hell I havent even fired the weapon since I bought it.
But I have layed down a bunch of coats of BLO

Joe
Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_TSGT View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the welcome.
Im looking forward to receiving the rifle. Now shooting it is another matter...do you know anywhere here in So. California that sells milsurp ammo? I may have to mail order.

Joe
if you reload I have in pdf the 3-86 american rifleman article reloading for the m1 rifle with lots of data send me a good email address and I'll email it to you.Sources for used reloading equipment www.ebay.com and new www.midwayusa.com for bullets nosler sells seconds on their www.shootersproshop.com site excellent quality reasonably priced.I live in calif and with the data successfully hunted colorado mule deer with my garand. started reloading with an RCBS reloder for rifle and handgun eventually upgrading to a Dillon

Last edited by scr83jp; 08-19-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added information