Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2016, 12:54 PM

Default Any Thoughts on this?

Hey guys - new to this Forum and M1 Carbines. Any idea on this rifle - here's the description for a Saginaw '43 SN 1762799. The things that worry me about this particular rifle are:

1) Buffalo Arms Barrel - never heard of these - are they aftermarket?
2) Parkerized - aren't they supposed to be blued?
3) No markings on the stock - does that mean aftermarket?
4) SN indicates Irwin Pedersen - maybe Saginaw reused the SN?
5) Missing slide stop - easy enough to find one, but not sure of the root cause of why its missing?
6) Muzzle break - why? hiding something? Not sure why anyone would add one of these.
7) Flat bolt - is that right for this SSN?

"Rebuilt U.S. Military contracted semi-automatic rifle chambered in .30 Carbine, circa 1943. Features a parkerized finish, 18" Buffalo Arms barrel dated 9-43, muzzle break, winged front sight, adjustable rear aperture sight, oval cut oiler slot, wide barrel band with sling swivel, bayonet-lug, low-wood hand guard with narrow groove, rotary style safety, no magazine, smooth trigger, blued flat bolt, and wood pistol grip shoulder stock with no visible markings. Includes oiler and period canvas sling. Missing slide stop. Rifle retains 90% finish with little wear. Action is smooth, bore is excellent, and stock is fine. Condition is very good. ***C&R Firearm*** ***Modern Firearm***"

Any ideas on my questions above. Also, thoughts around value? Sorry no pics. Thanks in advance for your learned counsel!!

Rebel62
Old 04-25-2016, 01:01 PM

Not enough info to determine value. The muzzle break would be a deal breaker for me however. Seems like it might be a normal mixmaster that has been poorly "accessorized" during it's post war life. Not much important info at all. This could be a disaster in waiting for someone....What is the asking price? Are pictures included?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:13 PM

Some answers

1) The carbine was made in Grand Rapids. That particular Saginaw plant used barrels throughout production from Buffalo Arms, among others.
2) I think the original finish was parkerized
3) No markings on stock could mean commercial, or USGI, post-ww2. Really need to see it to tell
4) See (1). Saginaw division at GM took over IP's production when they couldn't produce a single carbine under contract passing inspection.
5) The root cause for this is anybody's guess. Maybe the receiver rail is so worn that even a new slide stop can't work any longer.
6) The muzzle is not broken. A brake serves to mitigate muzzle rise occurring during rapid fire. Their most noticable effect is to make the carbine's bark sound louder to the shooter.
7) Flat bolt is correct for serial number.

Without detailed pictures, estimating a value is difficult but google suggests $675.

HTH

Old 04-25-2016, 01:35 PM

I would guess that the muzzle brake is one of the clamp on post war types and if it is and all else is in good condition$600-$700 would probably be ok. However, be warned that this is assuming a lot and a realistic value would require pictures and more details.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:41 PM

Auction listed as rebuilt. Estimate from 600-900. Stock looks like pot belly style. Listed as two rivet hg but pics show four. Cant remember but think it went for over. Not enough pics to tell if finish is correct but it is a mixmaster.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:47 PM

http://www.icollector.com/Saginaw-M1...2799_i24395839

Old 04-25-2016, 02:13 PM

Universal from same auction 800???

Last edited by New2Brass; 04-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:56 PM

Lol...a spot on match to the selling price. They had a ton of carbines in that auction iirc.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh1997 View Post
I would guess that the muzzle brake is one of the clamp on post war types.
Yep, so no bubba'd muzzle break, which is good.

But it looks like the winner is in it for around $850 with all the fees and shipping costs added in.. Relatively speaking, not a bad price really, but hopefully there are no issues.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:30 PM

So, I'm just looking for a good shooter. seems like $675 is a fair price. Thanks for the counsel!