Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2018, 12:26 AM
Banned

Default Which Maker Do You Hope to Get?

I have a few decent 1911's, but the one that I am lacking is a late WW2 Colt 1911a1. I really don't care what they send me, but I would be happy to just get that late Colt frame. I have a real nice Colt top half and barrel in my parts box.

If the 1911 God's were a fan of mine, he would send me a Colt 1911a1 slide in factory blue, so I could finally complete my RS proofed pistol. My pistol currently has a blue frame and parkerized slide from a later pistol, but with the correct roll stamp.

I have a feeling that a lot of "parts swapping" posts are going to pop up.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
I have a few decent 1911's, but the one that I am lacking is a late WW2 Colt 1911a1. I really don't care what they send me, but I would be happy to just get that late Colt frame. I have a real nice Colt top half and barrel in my parts box.

If the 1911 God's were a fan of mine, he would send me a Colt 1911a1 slide in factory blue, so I could finally complete my RS proofed pistol. My pistol currently has a blue frame and parkerized slide from a later pistol, but with the correct roll stamp.

I have a feeling that a lot of "parts swapping" posts are going to pop up.
Colt turned loose a lot of NOS this past year and I snagged a blue NOS Colt Mk IV Ser. 70 slide and a few smaller parts.

To answer the OP question the short answer is a Colt. But, there are some real gems out there from other manufacturers that could change my mind if all other things were equal.

Last edited by TechMech; 09-11-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:50 AM
Banned

What does that have to do with getting a real 1911 from CMP?
Old 09-11-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
What does that have to do with getting a real 1911 from CMP?
Standard replacement Colt M1911A1 slides did not ever come in "factory blue" to the best of my knowledge.

I did have a nice USGI NM Colt slide from the early 60s that was unpolished blue.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:01 AM
Banned

My US military issued Colt 1911a1 did leave the Colt factory blued, I don't want a modern replacement slide.

Colt 1 to 2400: Bright furnace blued, Slide and receiver highly polished. Certain small parts have a high polished bright Fire blued (Cobalt Color) appearance. "Oil Finish" Yet some seemingly original pistols within the serial range have the later duller finish. These pistols might have been held back to perform some remedial rework and by the time the rework was completed, the acceptable finish had changed to the duller finish and they then got the later finish.
Colt serial #2401 to about serial #160,000: Fine brushed looking Finish, furnace blued. Small parts have a smoky blue finish that appears lighter than the color of the slide and receiver.
Colt serial #160,000 to about serial #400,000: Colt brushed blue finish, Coarser girt size on close inspection. small parts have a blued finish that appears to match the slide and frame on near new pistols.
Colt serial #400,000 to end of WWI: Very coarse blued finish causes pistols to almost appear black. These pistols are referred to as the "Black Colt" or "Black Armys". This was due to changes implemented to speed production and reduce cost. Among those was the elimination of the fine polishing step.
Colt Post WWI to 1941: Colt brushed blue finish, Coarser girt size on close inspection. small parts have a blued finish that closely match the slide and frame.
Colt 729,993 to780,000: First parkerized pistol. Parkerizing adopted as the standard finish. Pistols in this range are observed to have a mixed assortment of blued and parkerized small parts..
Colt 780,000 to end of war production: All pistols and small parts are parkerized.
Ithaca 856,405 to about 900,000: Du-Lite bluing over a sand blasted surface. Small parts are blue or sandblasted blued.
Ithaca 900,000 to end of production: Parkerized finish, some blued small parts where observed in these parkerized pistols as well.
Singer S800001 to S800500: Bluing over moderate polishing, resulting in a light colored non reflective finish. All small parts appear to have the same color, texture and reflectivity.
Remington Rand 916,405 to 995,000: Du-Lite bluing over a very fine sand blasted surface. The entire pistol appears to be flat blue gray in color. Small parts are blue or sandblasted blued.
Remington Rand 995,000 end of production: Parkerized, also some sand-blasted blued are intermixed during the early production (1,015,000). All small parts parkerized.
Remington UMC: Very similar to Colts Brushed Blue Finish, however the finish was neither as well applied or was as durable. UMC pistols are often seen with areas of finish flaked off. UMC pistols are also often seen with little finish and no significant wear to the metal, as if the finish dissolved. Coarse grit on final polish. small parts have a blued finish that closely match the slide and frame. The degree of polishing and the quality of the finish seems to vary considerably between pistols.
Springfield: Chemically blued finish using the browning process, color was deep blue-black result. small parts have a blued finish that closely match the slide and frame.
Union Switch & Signal: Du-Lite bluing over a sand blasted surface. The pistol appears a dark flat blue grey in color. Small parts are blue or blued over sandblasting.
Reference Charles Clawsons “Colt .45 Service pistols”.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:28 AM

I am hoping for an Ithaca.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:56 AM

Any.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:08 AM

Just hoping to get a low number. It would make me quite happy to get a pistol fresh out of rebuild with no rust or pitting on it. I am not particular as to manufacturer. I have long desired a GI 1911, but have not purchased one because of all the fakes out there. I'm not interested in matching parts, just want an authentic pistol with some history. I'll be happy to get whatever is available.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:14 AM

Any, slide and frame matching would be a huge plus. Barring that I’d like an excellent re-arsenal with a hardened replacement slide. If I decide to enter the fray...
Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 AM

I'd be happy to just be one of the 8,000 selected. I actually don't own a 1911 right now, so it would be my first.

My wife and I both submitted packets. When I've talked to her about it, she's actually quite excited that she has a chance to "win" one. She likes shooting handguns, but I've yet to get her to the range with my M1s.