Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2019, 07:38 PM
RVN 69-70 RVN 69-70 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern Virginistan post-election
Posts: 1,850
Default Attract Magnet?

My indoor range has become slightly anal concerning the HXP ammo I am shooting and HAVE BEEN for four years. It seems that since it "attracts a magnet" I NOW can't utilize it. (The give away was the 'sparks' the range officer saw.....OH the horror!)

Can someone advise if the Garand ammo offered in the CMP STORE (on line) attracts a magnet? I would be so pleased to know.

(It seems that the indoor back stop exhibits slight dimples due to use of ANY type ammo that attracts a magnet).
__________________
SGT US ARMY RA - RVN 69-70,
8th Field Hospital - Nha Trang
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2019, 07:44 PM
Vos Parate Vos Parate is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MO
Posts: 2,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
My indoor range has become slightly anal concerning the HXP ammo I am shooting and HAVE BEEN for four years. It seems that since it "attracts a magnet" I NOW can't utilize it. (The give away was the 'sparks' the range officer saw.....OH the horror!)

Can someone advise if the Garand ammo offered in the CMP STORE (on line) attracts a magnet? I would be so pleased to know.

(It seems that the indoor back stop exhibits slight dimples due to use of ANY type ammo that attracts a magnet).
I have some HXP that doesnít attract a 🧲. PM me if interested.
__________________
Never slap a man while he is chewing tobacco.
Vos Parate Feedback Thread
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2019, 09:12 PM
epm729 epm729 is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Highland, New York
Posts: 2,147
Default

The Federal, Hornady and Creedmoor ammunition sold by the E-store have copper jackets and do not attract a magnet. Eddie
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2019, 01:53 PM
RVN 69-70 RVN 69-70 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern Virginistan post-election
Posts: 1,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
I have some HXP that doesnít attract a 🧲. PM me if interested.
I have some 1963 which I had read would NOT attract a magnet..........WRONG as it DOES.

I use to have 1965 which again is not suppose to attract a magnet but...........shot it all up at an outdoor range. I have cans and cans of 72-78 but..........can't use.

I suspect it might be cheaper in the long run for me to just purchase the IN STORE from CMP instead of purchasing yours OR trading can for can as the postage would kill me for both ways and the IN STORE would be cheaper (and more accurate I have been told). Thanks for the offer though. If you were closer I would ask about 'trading' but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
The Federal, Hornady and Creedmoor ammunition sold by the E-store have copper jackets and do not attract a magnet. Eddie
Guess I will take that route. BONUS is: SUPPOSEDLY more accurate so..........my scores will rise! (Don't bet on that!)
__________________
SGT US ARMY RA - RVN 69-70,
8th Field Hospital - Nha Trang

Last edited by Big_Red; 02-25-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2019, 06:26 PM
jmm jmm is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: G'Boro, NC
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
My indoor range has become slightly anal concerning the HXP ammo I am shooting and HAVE BEEN for four years. It seems that since it "attracts a magnet" I NOW can't utilize it. (The give away was the 'sparks' the range officer saw.....OH the horror!)

Can someone advise if the Garand ammo offered in the CMP STORE (on line) attracts a magnet? I would be so pleased to know.

(It seems that the indoor back stop exhibits slight dimples due to use of ANY type ammo that attracts a magnet).
Most likely the real concern is fire danger.
I was at my local pistol range when they had a smoldering fire start inside the wall just in front of the firing line.
The FD spent 2 hours removing the steel sheeting and flooding the walls.
The believed source of ignition was the shooter next to the wall shooting Russian steel-cased ammo, which was observed to spark when the empties landed in front of the firing line.
The dust and unburned powder that was trapped behind the steel sheets was what was burning, and the range was modified to enable regular maintenance to remove the dust.
Because indoor ranges have high volumes of forced air for ventilation, fires spread very fast when they start, and are drawn to the backstop quickly (in the direction of airflow). Depending on the backstop's construction and cleanliness, the resulting fire can be explosive.
Steel bans on indoor ranges are understandable, and prudent.
__________________
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are God given rights, not government granted rights.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2019, 08:12 PM
RVN 69-70 RVN 69-70 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern Virginistan post-election
Posts: 1,850
Default mAYBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Most likely the real concern is fire danger.
I was at my local pistol range when they had a smoldering fire start inside the wall just in front of the firing line.
The FD spent 2 hours removing the steel sheeting and flooding the walls.
The believed source of ignition was the shooter next to the wall shooting Russian steel-cased ammo, which was observed to spark when the empties landed in front of the firing line.
The dust and unburned powder that was trapped behind the steel sheets was what was burning, and the range was modified to enable regular maintenance to remove the dust.
Because indoor ranges have high volumes of forced air for ventilation, fires spread very fast when they start, and are drawn to the backstop quickly (in the direction of airflow). Depending on the backstop's construction and cleanliness, the resulting fire can be explosive.
Steel bans on indoor ranges are understandable, and prudent.
Their concern is the 'dimples' it leaves in the backstop....but, they might also be concerned with the fire possibility you mention. I will use my HXP outdoor and I just ordered PPU for indoor. Guess I will have to get to more outdoor matches. ESTORE ammo is too expensive for me. I may never 'improve' my scores but....I will still have fun..
__________________
SGT US ARMY RA - RVN 69-70,
8th Field Hospital - Nha Trang
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2019, 08:31 PM
jmm jmm is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: G'Boro, NC
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
Their concern is the 'dimples' it leaves in the backstop....but, they might also be concerned with the fire possibility you mention. I will use my HXP outdoor and I just ordered PPU for indoor. Guess I will have to get to more outdoor matches. ESTORE ammo is too expensive for me. I may never 'improve' my scores but....I will still have fun..
Don't forget you can also shoot soft-point ammo. Or other types, as long as it falls in line with performance numbers of M2 Ball.
Garands are not as sensitive as Carbines are in that regard.
My reloads with 165gr BTSP Hornady do pretty well.
__________________
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are God given rights, not government granted rights.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2019, 09:35 AM
RVN 69-70 RVN 69-70 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern Virginistan post-election
Posts: 1,850
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Don't forget you can also shoot soft-point ammo. Or other types, as long as it falls in line with performance numbers of M2 Ball.
Garands are not as sensitive as Carbines are in that regard.
My reloads with 165gr BTSP Hornady do pretty well.
JMM- the key to what you says is "My reloads with 165 gr BTSP Hornady do pretty well". At my age I think it is unwise to invest in reloading equipment, primers, powder, bullets et al. It may take longer to get my 'return on investment' than I would live! Also, I have 22 cans of HXP to use up so I will concentrate on shooting outdoor matches and quite 'practicing' indoor on reduced targets.

Just ordered 500 rds PPU.......winter time is indoor shootin' time for me (although we have been lucky so to speak with some outdoor practice matches locally).
__________________
SGT US ARMY RA - RVN 69-70,
8th Field Hospital - Nha Trang
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 PM
AWOhio AWOhio is online now
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Most likely the real concern is fire danger.
I was at my local pistol range when they had a smoldering fire start inside the wall just in front of the firing line.
The FD spent 2 hours removing the steel sheeting and flooding the walls.
The believed source of ignition was the shooter next to the wall shooting Russian steel-cased ammo, which was observed to spark when the empties landed in front of the firing line.
The dust and unburned powder that was trapped behind the steel sheets was what was burning, and the range was modified to enable regular maintenance to remove the dust.
Because indoor ranges have high volumes of forced air for ventilation, fires spread very fast when they start, and are drawn to the backstop quickly (in the direction of airflow). Depending on the backstop's construction and cleanliness, the resulting fire can be explosive.
Steel bans on indoor ranges are understandable, and prudent.
One time at my local indoor range, bringing the target trolley back to my booth sparked a small flash and fizzle from accumulated unturned powder on the target track.

Ppu Garand ammo should be non magnetic and isn’t much more expensive than hxp. You could always sell some hxp to recoup cost.

Last edited by AWOhio; 03-09-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 PM
RVN 69-70 RVN 69-70 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern Virginistan post-election
Posts: 1,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOhio View Post

Ppu Garand ammo should be non magnetic and isnít much more expensive than ppu. You could always sell some hxp to recoup cost.
I could TRY to sell ut then.....who wants to pay for HXP (+shipping) when they can get somewhat more accurate PPU at the same price....The PPU I ordered had free shipping with 500 rounds for $365.

I might try some LOCAL postings to see if FTF would work. Looks looks like the Garand will be the GO TO GUN for matches instead of the AR.
__________________
SGT US ARMY RA - RVN 69-70,
8th Field Hospital - Nha Trang
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.