Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2019, 07:38 PM

Default Attract Magnet?

My indoor range has become slightly anal concerning the HXP ammo I am shooting and HAVE BEEN for four years. It seems that since it "attracts a magnet" I NOW can't utilize it. (The give away was the 'sparks' the range officer saw.....OH the horror!)

Can someone advise if the Garand ammo offered in the CMP STORE (on line) attracts a magnet? I would be so pleased to know.

(It seems that the indoor back stop exhibits slight dimples due to use of ANY type ammo that attracts a magnet).
Old 02-23-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
My indoor range has become slightly anal concerning the HXP ammo I am shooting and HAVE BEEN for four years. It seems that since it "attracts a magnet" I NOW can't utilize it. (The give away was the 'sparks' the range officer saw.....OH the horror!)

Can someone advise if the Garand ammo offered in the CMP STORE (on line) attracts a magnet? I would be so pleased to know.

(It seems that the indoor back stop exhibits slight dimples due to use of ANY type ammo that attracts a magnet).
I have some HXP that doesnít attract a 🧲. PM me if interested.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:12 PM

The Federal, Hornady and Creedmoor ammunition sold by the E-store have copper jackets and do not attract a magnet. Eddie
Old 02-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
I have some HXP that doesnít attract a 🧲. PM me if interested.
I have some 1963 which I had read would NOT attract a magnet..........WRONG as it DOES.

I use to have 1965 which again is not suppose to attract a magnet but...........shot it all up at an outdoor range. I have cans and cans of 72-78 but..........can't use.

I suspect it might be cheaper in the long run for me to just purchase the IN STORE from CMP instead of purchasing yours OR trading can for can as the postage would kill me for both ways and the IN STORE would be cheaper (and more accurate I have been told). Thanks for the offer though. If you were closer I would ask about 'trading' but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
The Federal, Hornady and Creedmoor ammunition sold by the E-store have copper jackets and do not attract a magnet. Eddie
Guess I will take that route. BONUS is: SUPPOSEDLY more accurate so..........my scores will rise! (Don't bet on that!)

Last edited by Big_Red; 02-25-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 02-24-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Most likely the real concern is fire danger.
I was at my local pistol range when they had a smoldering fire start inside the wall just in front of the firing line.
The FD spent 2 hours removing the steel sheeting and flooding the walls.
The believed source of ignition was the shooter next to the wall shooting Russian steel-cased ammo, which was observed to spark when the empties landed in front of the firing line.
The dust and unburned powder that was trapped behind the steel sheets was what was burning, and the range was modified to enable regular maintenance to remove the dust.
Because indoor ranges have high volumes of forced air for ventilation, fires spread very fast when they start, and are drawn to the backstop quickly (in the direction of airflow). Depending on the backstop's construction and cleanliness, the resulting fire can be explosive.
Steel bans on indoor ranges are understandable, and prudent.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:12 PM

Default mAYBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
I was at my local pistol range when they had a smoldering fire start inside the wall just in front of the firing line.
The believed source of ignition was the shooter next to the wall shooting Russian steel-cased ammo, which was observed to spark when the empties landed in front of the firing line.
The dust and unburned powder that was trapped behind the steel sheets was what was burning, and the range was modified to enable regular maintenance to remove the dust.
Because indoor ranges have high volumes of forced air for ventilation, fires spread very fast when they start, and are drawn to the backstop quickly (in the direction of airflow). Depending on the backstop's construction and cleanliness, the resulting fire can be explosive.
Their concern is the 'dimples' it leaves in the backstop....but, they might also be concerned with the fire possibility you mention. I will use my HXP outdoor and I just ordered PPU for indoor. Guess I will have to get to more outdoor matches. ESTORE ammo is too expensive for me. I may never 'improve' my scores but....I will still have fun..
Old 02-24-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Their concern is the 'dimples' it leaves in the backstop....but, they might also be concerned with the fire possibility you mention. I will use my HXP outdoor and I just ordered PPU for indoor. Guess I will have to get to more outdoor matches. ESTORE ammo is too expensive for me. I may never 'improve' my scores but....I will still have fun..
Don't forget you can also shoot soft-point ammo. Or other types, as long as it falls in line with performance numbers of M2 Ball.
Garands are not as sensitive as Carbines are in that regard.
My reloads with 165gr BTSP Hornady do pretty well.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:35 AM

Default Yep

Quote:
Don't forget you can also shoot soft-point ammo. Or other types, as long as it falls in line with performance numbers of M2 Ball.
Garands are not as sensitive as Carbines are in that regard.
My reloads with 165gr BTSP Hornady do pretty well.
JMM- the key to what you says is "My reloads with 165 gr BTSP Hornady do pretty well". At my age I think it is unwise to invest in reloading equipment, primers, powder, bullets et al. It may take longer to get my 'return on investment' than I would live! Also, I have 22 cans of HXP to use up so I will concentrate on shooting outdoor matches and quite 'practicing' indoor on reduced targets.

Just ordered 500 rds PPU.......winter time is indoor shootin' time for me (although we have been lucky so to speak with some outdoor practice matches locally).
Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
One time at my local indoor range, bringing the target trolley back to my booth sparked a small flash and fizzle from accumulated unturned powder on the target track.

Ppu Garand ammo should be non magnetic and isn’t much more expensive than hxp. You could always sell some hxp to recoup cost.

Last edited by AWOhio; 03-09-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOhio View Post

Ppu Garand ammo should be non magnetic and isnít much more expensive than ppu. You could always sell some hxp to recoup cost.
I could TRY to sell ut then.....who wants to pay for HXP (+shipping) when they can get somewhat more accurate PPU at the same price....The PPU I ordered had free shipping with 500 rounds for $365.

I might try some LOCAL postings to see if FTF would work. Looks looks like the Garand will be the GO TO GUN for matches instead of the AR.