Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2019, 09:54 AM

Default Victory model holster and ammo pouch

Did Boyt produce unmarked leather victory model holsters during WWII? What did military personnel use for a ammo pouch while carrying the victory model revolver?
Old 04-26-2019, 10:06 AM

I don't know who made them, but unmarked brown leather flap type holsters were made for the 4" Victory and Commando during the war. The Navy used a flap type ammunition pouch that looked like this: https://pre98.com/shop/pre98-classic...odel-revolver/

Not sure what the other services may have used.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:25 PM

Interesting Navy type ammo pouch. I think it must be "rare" as advertised. I never saw one before.

The Navy used Smith and Wesson Model 10/ Victory .38 Special revolvers throughout WWII and into the 1990's.

Our aviation survival vests had a nylon holster inside one of the pockets. Extra cartridges were carried in a short piece of web material (about 5 or 6 inches long, with loops sewn in, and this was attached to the vest with a short length of parachute cord.

The few navy issue leather holsters I remember seeing were shoulder holsters. Extra rounds were attached to the same sort of web shell holder, but with an added "sleeve" or set of loops to attach it to one of the holster's leather straps.

Of course, Security personnel or gate guards wore regular Police type belts, ammo pouches, and holsters, usually black in color.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:14 PM

M1Grandy and Navyrifleman,

Thank you for your replies.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamiller1951 View Post
Did Boyt produce unmarked leather victory model holsters during WWII?
Nope. Boyt was careful to mark all of its holsters.

Assuming that you are asking about the unmarked, belt mounted, flap holsters for the 4 inch .38 Special revolver, they were not made by Boyt. Rather, they were manufactured by Brauer Brothers of St. Louis, MO.

Quote:
What did military personnel use for a ammo pouch while carrying the victory model revolver?
This changed over time. Again, assuming your question is about WW2 practice, then the answer is (A) the small Navy marked pouch mentioned above and (B) the web first aid packet pouch with M1910 double hook for mounting on the pistol belt. The former seems to have achieved very little use in WW2. The latter was specified for .38 Special ammo carriage by the Navy's Bureau of Ordnance Catalog of July 1945.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Regards,
Charlie