Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Default Sniper Match Shooting Bags??

Apparently CMP is issuing plastic pellet filled shooting bags for the sniper match. Could someone inform us about these bags? We are wondering if they are a commercially available product, who makes them, size, how many per shooting position and anything else.... CMP article says the size was increased after the Eastern Games. Thanks in advance. Good Shooting. ..
Old 07-23-2019, 09:49 AM

I was told that the CMP commissioned the fabrication of these bags to their specifications. Check out the photos https://cmp1.zenfolio.com/p928670710 Rick
Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 PM

I shot on the smaller ones at Butner. It appears that they’ve gone with a larger version. At Butner we had two bags per position. The small ones were just too small and it was difficult to get any height in your position to achieve any level of comfort. If they give you two of the larger ones you should be fine.

New bags are described here.

http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-travel-games/

To add my guess on size of small ones. I’d say 8x10x2 or 2.5

Last edited by jsudduth; 07-23-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

I shot on the small bags at Butner as well. I found the bags to be too small and more importantly, too light! There is not enough mass in the plastic pellets to keep them from moving and settling. Makes me wonder if they actually tested them prior to deploying them at Butner.

Full disclosure, good sand bags probably would not have helped my score
Old 07-24-2019, 05:35 AM

Which is why slings are authorized...Better to have a consistent hold than a random and unknown "rest." At most CMP event I've decided to use my sling (I had to last year at 600 because of those horrible peanut bags they gave us) to avoid all the variations they've provided us.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USriflecal30 View Post
Which is why slings are authorized...Better to have a consistent hold than a random and unknown "rest." At most CMP event I've decided to use my sling (I had to last year at 600 because of those horrible peanut bags they gave us) to avoid all the variations they've provided us.
Being a HP shooter I feel WAY more comfortable shooting prone slung up than with bags. I even shoot tighter groups prone than I can at a bench with bags. The sling just feels more natural to me. I think you have the right idea.

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 AM

I observed no shooters using the sling this year. After last year, I think we all considered it, but the bags ultimately won out. The new Creedmoor bags are good and hopefully that problem is solved. I did see some leaking out the velcro opening. CMP allowed two per position. Creedmoor has them on their website for around $65, unfilled. Size is stated at 15x11x7.5 inches. Given the price, I will make up a couple the same size to experiment with. Getting the right height is important. We shot off one bag, using the second one as a front buttress. No blaming the bags this year. Good Shooting. ...
Old 08-07-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I observed no shooters using the sling this year. After last year, I think we all considered it, but the bags ultimately won out. The new Creedmoor bags are good and hopefully that problem is solved. I did see some leaking out the velcro opening. CMP allowed two per position. Creedmoor has them on their website for around $65, unfilled. Size is stated at 15x11x7.5 inches. Given the price, I will make up a couple the same size to experiment with. Getting the right height is important. We shot off one bag, using the second one as a front buttress. No blaming the bags this year. Good Shooting. ...
The Sniper match really isn't my thing but....I thought they were just fine this year. We used 2 and got the height just right. My Sniper partner (who has shot VS for years) said he liked them also.

I'm sure there will be some gripes but all in all.....think everyone was satisfied with them.

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 AM

I liked the new bags we used two for our shooting point an pair fired sighters. stayed in position can't beat that setup. good time had by all.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Apparently CMP is issuing plastic pellet filled shooting bags for the sniper match. Could someone inform us about these bags? We are wondering if they are a commercially available product, who makes them, size, how many per shooting position and anything else.... CMP article says the size was increased after the Eastern Games. Thanks in advance. Good Shooting. ..
Interesting that you should mention this. I bought these for $10.99: Empty White Woven Polypropylene Sandbags w/Ties, w/UV Protection; size: 14" x 26", Qty of 10, back in early May, my son got some plastic pellets where he works, filled up 4 of them for me to use with a Swedish Mauser M96 M41B I recently purchased.
How did you do at the VSM?
Bill