Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-20-2019, 05:34 PM
vagrant vagrant is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 553
Default

A Service Grade sold locally for $1250 or 1300. Not sure but I think he was asking 1350 and took 13. That's definitely not gouging.
__________________
I'm not a sheep, nor a sheep-dog. I'm just a lonely shepherd with clear sense of direction.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,611
Default

FWIW:

These, "what-do-you-do with your own property" threads always become a heated argument.
So I have no comment on that at all, yes, no you decide.

But I do want to say that the sale of the 1911's is being watched carefully by various Depts of the Government. Like it or not one of the conditions of this transfer to occur was oversight.
They specifically will audit the system looking for CMP 1911's used in crimes.


So I would hope that owners of these 1911's would consider that where these pistols end up, could have a HUGE impact not only on the 1911 distribution but the CMP in general.
Again, not telling anyone what to do, just understand the US Govt is watching this.
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-2019, 08:04 PM
krdomingue krdomingue is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
FWIW:

These, "what-do-you-do with your own property" threads always become a heated argument.
So I have no comment on that at all, yes, no you decide.

But I do want to say that the sale of the 1911's is being watched carefully by various Depts of the Government. Like it or not one of the conditions of this transfer to occur was oversight.
They specifically will audit the system looking for CMP 1911's used in crimes.


So I would hope that owners of these 1911's would consider that where these pistols end up, could have a HUGE impact not only on the 1911 distribution but the CMP in general.
Again, not telling anyone what to do, just understand the US Govt is watching this.
I understand the concerns, but I think they are mostly overblown. I know the CMP needs to dot their I's and cross their T's, but in all reality the odds of one of these guns being used in a crime is infinitesimally small. For one it is out of the price range of the typical criminal. There are millions of guns in the US. Most will never be used in a crime.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-20-2019, 09:09 PM
thebearpack thebearpack is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
they should have charged more to cut down on this
Remember all those complaints about the price being too high? I sure do.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
I understand the concerns, but I think they are mostly overblown. I know the CMP needs to dot their I's and cross their T's, but in all reality the odds of one of these guns being used in a crime is infinitesimally small. For one it is out of the price range of the typical criminal. There are millions of guns in the US. Most will never be used in a crime.
Yes.... the odds are extremely small but the consequences are extremely high.

And its not that a criminal will acquire it directly from the CMP, but instead it'll end up in the wrong hands at some point.
It's that a "pistol sold by a US Govt program" ended up being used in a crime and was recovered.
That is how the headline will read and then the question will be, "What to do with this Govt program?"
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Last edited by Gewehr43; 08-20-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 PM
bigwagon bigwagon is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 259
Default

Nobody who bought one of these guns is going to live forever. They are all going to end up changing hands, some much sooner than others.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-21-2019, 07:34 PM
weimar_police weimar_police is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
they should have charged more to cut down on this
I wouldn't and couldn't have justified buying, sight unseen a 1911a1 at much more than I paid.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-21-2019, 07:38 PM
weimar_police weimar_police is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Yes.... the odds are extremely small but the consequences are extremely high.

And its not that a criminal will acquire it directly from the CMP, but instead it'll end up in the wrong hands at some point.
It's that a "pistol sold by a US Govt program" ended up being used in a crime and was recovered.
That is how the headline will read and then the question will be, "What to do with this Govt program?"
No offense, but if this was a true worry, than a WW2 battle rifle or a M1 Carbine Assault weapon (New Jersey laws) would raise hell a lot. There are tens of thousands of each out on the market, sold by CMP - I fully realize that a pistol is more likely to be used in a crime - but unless one is stolen, I personally doubt any criminal is going to BUY one, even 2nd hand for a crime or act of terror.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
No offense, but if this was a true worry, than a WW2 battle rifle or a M1 Carbine Assault weapon (New Jersey laws) would raise hell a lot. There are tens of thousands of each out on the market, sold by CMP - I fully realize that a pistol is more likely to be used in a crime - but unless one is stolen, I personally doubt any criminal is going to BUY one, even 2nd hand for a crime or act of terror.
None taken.
It has been stated that unlike the rifle programs, that the sale of these pistols will be audited. When these audits occur and a M1911 that the CMP is found to have been used in a crime, I don't think that will be ignored at all.
In todays society, like it or not, the seller of a firearm used like that is held to account. Since this is a Govt program, they will want answers and solutions.
I agree that the chances of one of these 1911 being used in a crime is miniscule but if that happens the consequences will be immense.

What I don't agree with is trying to decide what a criminal will or wont do. Don't underestimate the level of stupidity that is involved there.

Since by your moniker you might have a background in LE, I'll say this too. My concern is exactly how the audit is worded. Used "in a crime" is a broad definition. A "crime" can be the obvious like shooting etc. but it's still a "crime" to be arrested for some sort of Domestic Violence, Being drunk while in possession of a firearm, taking a firearm into a prohibited place, having a warrant for an unrelated crime, being arrested for DUI and having a 1911 with you, etc etc

Again, I'm not here to tell anyone what to do or not. I just shudder to think what might happen if the one-in-a-million occurs and one of these is recovered in a crime.
That's it, not my world, just living in it.
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Last edited by Gewehr43; 08-21-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-21-2019, 08:41 PM
dw617 dw617 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 520
Default

This popped up in our local news recently, a gang banger with a (stolen?) M1917 pistol.

https://bpdnews.com/news/2019/8/21/o...ver-in-roxbury
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.