Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 09:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty31 View Post
Assuming they have enough rifles of this grade to offer, if they brought back the Rack Grade offering and placed rifles like this in that category, would they sell?
From the pics, it appears that this receiver with the shown rust pitting may not even meet the Rack Grade description of "minor pitting".
The only problem I see offering(mail order) a rifle similar to this even as a Rack Grade is that the return rate back to CMP may make the offering not worth the trouble.
I bet more than a few people reading this post are now reconsidering ordering a Field Grade....
FWIW
Old 11-21-2019, 02:06 PM

I was thinking online ordering is a lot like grab bag (or slot machine). you don’t know what you’ll get but you’re hoping it’s more than you paid. Every so often there has to be something good in the bag (or a jackpot) otherwise people stop playing.
I wonder if that’s why every so often we see what’s obviously (or seemingly) a Service Grade thrown in to keep everyone playing.
Can we start a “Field Grade” thread where everyone who gets a field grade posts it. We could start seeing the percentage of dogs, to average field grade, to what appears to be service grade.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTarnahan View Post
Can we start a “Field Grade” thread where everyone who gets a field grade posts it. We could start seeing the percentage of dogs, to average field grade, to what appears to be service grade.
As has been stated here before, not everyone that buy rifles from CMP are also members here. Most people that post their purchases here are people that are proud of what they have received and are often the best/better rifles. While people who receive "dogs" seldom post what they have received and is kinda refreshing to see an honest opinion of the other-side...http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=255155
Another thing is for some people this may be their first/only Garand and are not educated on what to expect, and are happy just to have one.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:42 AM

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ds4me View Post
I sent them a nice polite email this afternoon with pictures and listed out my concerns with this rifle, this receiver is not good or fair condition and has more than minor pitting.

I will update with the response or resolution, the CMP has been good to me over the years, and I’m am sure this will work out.

Greg
I received a nice reply back from Larry this morning, they are sending me a return label and will issue a full refund when they receive the rifle back. I'm good with that as I just picked up another rifle from Ronwall last weekend at a very fair price. I will be working down in AL off and on for the next 6 months and will have plenty of opportunity to visit the TMP and South Store if I feel the need for another rifle.

Thank You all for the comments and opinions on this rifle.

Greg
Old 11-22-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
The hackberry stock decision has to be the most perplexing thing that the CMP higher ups have ever faced. I mean it's a totally utilitarian stock that fulfills it's required functionality, turns woodless rifles into a product they can sell to help the shooting community and looks pretty good as well to the casual observer.... No problem, right? Then they get a collective "NO" from customers and were probably stunned and a little frustrated. LOL

The important thing though is that the OP is on the right track going to Customer Service with this one. Best wishes.
It is an attempt to put lipstick on a pig in order to bump it up a grade.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
As has been stated here before, not everyone that buy rifles from CMP are also members here....Another thing is for some people this may be their first/only Garand and are not educated on what to expect, and are happy just to have one.
When Orest was CMP's COO, he stated in 2014 in his Ask Orest sub-forum that CMP averaged 27,000 Garand sales per year and as many as 30,000 would be sold that calendar year. That interpolates to 550 per week average for the 49 weeks per year they are in full operating mode. How many strings do we see here weekly that describe a single purchase, maybe three/four?
Old 11-22-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ds4me View Post
I received a nice reply back from Larry this morning, they are sending me a return label and will issue a full refund when they receive the rifle back. I'm good with that as I just picked up another rifle from Ronwall last weekend at a very fair price. I will be working down in AL off and on for the next 6 months and will have plenty of opportunity to visit the TMP and South Store if I feel the need for another rifle.

Thank You all for the comments and opinions on this rifle.

Greg
I'm glad it all worked out for you. CMP has always done me right so since they did the right thing for you as well it makes me feel better about mail ordering a rifle.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLD View Post
Gotta admit that rifle is pretty nasty. I would be highly disappointed for the money spent! Seems like it would fit a RELIC description better. Not to be negative, why not send pics. to the CMP and see what they think.
Sadly I have to agree on the description.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
It is an attempt to put lipstick on a pig in order to bump it up a grade.
I wish they would go back to selling receivers and avoid all this. This would be a good candidate for a reparked low grade receiver sale.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Understand how the OP is unhappy with the corrosion on the receiver. Still, it appears to be structurally sound and safe to use. The barrel is really good and the rifle shoots well, so overall it's a decent rifle in my opinion. Suggest you do what you can to stop the corrosion and prevent further damage, then just use and enjoy it as a utilitarian shooter. I've seen some hackberry stocks; they look better when refinished (although much lighter colored). My main problem with them is no buttstock compartments for the cleaning stuff. I would keep this as a utilitarian beater for hunting, plinking and shooting at the range. Maybe go for a service grade for a nicer one if that's what you want (why have just one)?