Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 12:32 AM

Default Old style cleaning kit questions

Hi, all! I have some questions on the old style nickel plated brass cleaning kit and stowage of it. May have asked this already, but couldn't remember if I asked here or on a facebook group. Didn't really get a solid answer either way.

I've been having trouble finding an original bore brush for the pull-through that will fit inside the plated brass oiler. I bought a bunch of unissued ones hoping they'd be the right length. All have been about a half inch too long. I finally found one with a pull through and when it arrived it was steel with a nylon brush. Is that what would have been in there? I was thinking it would be brass with brass bristles. Any tips on where to find the right one?

Secondly, where in the stock does the "mustache brush" go? Doesn't really seem to fit well anywhere!

Finally, what kind of oil would have been kept in the oiler? Is there a modern equivalent available?

Thanks!
John
Old 11-21-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypa38 View Post
Hi, all! I have some questions on the old style nickel plated brass cleaning kit and stowage of it. May have asked this already, but couldn't remember if I asked here or on a facebook group. Didn't really get a solid answer either way.

I've been having trouble finding an original bore brush for the pull-through that will fit inside the plated brass oiler. I bought a bunch of unissued ones hoping they'd be the right length. All have been about a half inch too long. I finally found one with a pull through and when it arrived it was steel with a nylon brush. Is that what would have been in there? I was thinking it would be brass with brass bristles. Any tips on where to find the right one?

Secondly, where in the stock does the "mustache brush" go? Doesn't really seem to fit well anywhere!

Finally, what kind of oil would have been kept in the oiler? Is there a modern equivalent available?

Thanks!
John
I am thinking that the mustache brush doesn't go anywhere in the stock, but rather that pouch that is in one of your illustrations. That is kind of a guess, mind you.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

Words that are always found together:
USA: Liquor Store and Robbed, Pressure Cooker and Explode
Germany:
Air Show and Rammstein

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:59 AM

In the pouch along with patches. The brush is nylon or horsehair. Don't really ever use a pull-thru.....they break.
Oil is PL Special which is a very light oil similar to any commercial oil today, not CLP.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHScott View Post
In the pouch along with patches. The brush is nylon or horsehair. Don't really ever use a pull-thru.....they break.
Oil is PL Special which is a very light oil similar to any commercial oil today, not CLP.

When you said nylon or horse hair, did you mean the mustache brush is nylon or horse hair or the bore brush is?
Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:33 AM

Both.