Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 AM

Default Field Grade Arrived - Nice

Mailed 11-7-19, CMP probably would have received it 11-11-19 but that was Veterans Day so they got it Tues. CC charged 11-15 (Fri), shipped 11-19(Tues) and I got it today.
I had stickered asking for USGI stock, mention how I wouldn’t mind dings, rack numbers or names in stock bring the history alive. Lo and behold a gold rack number (and plenty of dings). Not sure if U.S. GI though as I can’t find any cartouche or markings. But maybe they’re hidden under all the years of dark wood (any idea as to type of wood?). Anyway, gold rack numbers denote USMC (hey, don’t argue with me on that. 21 year in the Corps and rack numbers were always Gold). So if I want these to be USMC rack numbers that’s what they are.
(Actually if anyone knows type of wood, anything about the rack numbers or clues about the stock I’d love to hear from you).

SA receiver with 3.411 million serial I think put it around Dec 44 to Jan 45.
SA barrel marked 12-48. ME 2+ TE 3+ (better than my Service Grade which was 2+ 4+) NO PITTING on receiver.
SA Oprod, IHC bolt, HRA trigger housing and hammer.
Strange paper glued to inside of trigger housing plate. Top line starts Y then can’t make out the rest.
Bottom line is RZGA and looks like should be one last letter.
The is that Danish, Swedish, did we give some to the Germans?
Anyway, any ideas on that or anything else I’d love to hear from you.
Oh, and the two little nail holes at bottom of the grip. To hold a butt cap or something there you think?

Would cleaning help to bring out any hidden cartouches?
Of course I want to be careful not to destroy the gold rack number, otherwise I’d lose the ability to prove it’s USMC heritage.

One last thought, the price tag on the back of the hang tag. Is that normal? I like to think someone pulled the rifle off the rack since I asked for rack number. And it’s dated 9-5-19 so hadn’t been selling.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CdvnZug

Last edited by Big_Red; 11-21-2019 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Fixed picture gallery link
Old 11-21-2019, 05:32 AM

I must have got pulled of one of the Stores inventory, nice looking Field Grade
Old 11-21-2019, 05:38 AM

Nice rifle, way better than my last one! I will also add I have never seen a rack number in that location.

Last edited by 4ds4me; 11-21-2019 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 11-21-2019, 07:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to andyman Send a message via Skype™ to andyman

The Turks use characters as well and those words you mentioned are not Germanic. I am sure it is a Turk return.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:28 AM

I don't think it's fair to say that the stock has plenty of dings. That USGI stock is easily in the top 10-15 percent in terms of quality among Field Grades. The overall condition and barrel puts the rifle itself squarely in the Service Grade spectrum.

It's got a few dings but nothing that's overly distracting or off-putting. I've not seen a rack number in that location, ever. Maybe others can chime in if they've seen this?

Beautiful Field Grade. Congrats.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:02 AM

Wow! SG at a FG price! Wow! Get some ammo and head for the range! Sincerely. bruce.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:51 AM

Nice looking FG. It is about the same condition as the ones I got a month ago. Just for fun or I typed RZGA in google translate and RZGAR popped up as Turkish for "wind". Don't know about others but I love finding such things in the surplus guns I pick up. Congratulations!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I must have got pulled of one of the Stores inventory, nice looking Field Grade
Thats what I was thinking, if the armorer knew there was one in the store and I mentioned rack number specifically if he pulled straight off the store rack. Never saw a hang tag with price tag on back. Dont know if the armory where they pull guns for online sales is near the store or maybe after sitting on rack in store without selling for couple months they sent it back to armory.
Very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ds4me View Post
Nice rifle, way better than my last one! I will also add I have never seen a rack number in that location.
I had already ordered mine when I saw your post. I was pretty worried.
As I said I think this field grade is better than my Service (except the service came with beautiful new CMP stock which fits lot tighter)

I had decided that, like you, I would post it no matter the condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
The Turks use characters as well and those words you mentioned are not Germanic. I am sure it is a Turk return.
I was thinking that as well, I didnt know Turkish used the . Now that you say that I figure its a Turk return as well.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
I don't think it's fair to say that the stock has plenty of dings. That USGI stock is easily in the top 10-15 percent in terms of quality among Field Grades. The overall condition and barrel puts the rifle itself squarely in the Service Grade spectrum.

It's got a few dings but nothing that's overly distracting or off-putting. I've not seen a rack number in that location, ever. Maybe others can chime in if they've seen this?

Beautiful Field Grade. Congrats.
Agree completely. No chips or gouges just a few handling dings and stock fits fairly tight. No complaints at all. As I said I think its actually better than my service grade I had gotten 2 weeks earlier. The lots of dings comment was meant to be more humorous than disparaging, although it does have quite a few they are all very minor and no big gouges or chips.

Beautiful stock with character, exactly what I was hoping for, except a cartouche or two would have been nice. Such a nice stock Im torn between leaving it alone and trying some light cleaning to try and bring out some cartouches.

I suppose its possible any US type cartouches may have been sanded off during the several antiAmerican periods in Turkish history. Or maybe just by an individual soldier with those feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
Wow! SG at a FG price! Wow! Get some ammo and head for the range! Sincerely. bruce.
Thats the plan. I got 200 rounds of the Creedmore M2 Ball from CMP last week.
Along those lines can anyone recommend a good YouTube video on how to check for serviceability before firing?

I know fewer and fewer gunsmiths are knowledgeable on M1s so owners-have to be a lot more knowledgeable than the soldiers as we cant just turn it into the armory for repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyer111 View Post
Nice looking FG. It is about the same condition as the ones I got a month ago. Just for fun or I typed RZGA in google translate and RZGAR popped up as Turkish for "wind". Don't know about others but I love finding such things in the surplus guns I pick up. Congratulations!
Thanks!
So youre telling me the Gold Rack number indicates Turkish Marines.
Or the wind means Turkish CIA (reference for the M.A.S.H. CIA character like the wind)

Itd be nice to find Yxxxxx means sacred or divine, like Kamikazi or something

Thanks for taking the time for the google search.

Like you I also hope to find some little individual thing that shows a little more the individuality of the rifle or a previous user.
My service grade had 104 in white paint inside the trigger housing on the flat plate.
See https://imgur.com/gallery/CdvnZug

Last edited by Big_Red; 11-21-2019 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old 11-21-2019, 10:44 AM

I think the two little nail holes in the grip were to secure a brass tag with a rack number.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajDave View Post
I think the two little nail holes in the grip were to secure a brass tag with a rack number.
Yes, I was thinking something like that, rack number or inventory tag or Property of Turkish Marines
Was wondering if anyone knew if they were common on the Turkish returns and so possibly an indicator of Turkish origin if no other clues.